The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 10, 2008, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Mike, the majority of D1 conferences now use 3 umpires routinely; that will put a base umpire in reasonable position anytime there is a runner on base.
Old Wed Sep 10, 2008, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
Mike, the majority of D1 conferences now use 3 umpires routinely; that will put a base umpire in reasonable position anytime there is a runner on base.
So... what about when there's no one on base?
Old Wed Sep 10, 2008, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Then it is no worse than any other call with a line; you call what you can see, you don't call what you aren't in position to see.

It is possible a base umpire, from any position, could clearly see the foot landing completely outside the line; just as a base umpire can call a swing from the wrong side. All I'm saying is that if they want it called consistently, then they need to use all the eyes available. We all know how impossible it is to expect a consistent strike zone on pitchers throwing 60+ with movement, when we are told to look at pitcher's feet and batter's feet all within that half second (60 mph = 88 feet per second).
Old Wed Sep 10, 2008, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

My belief is, if they really want this particular rule enforced, they need to hire a fourth umpire whose sole duty is to sit in the stands directly behind homeplate that can focus their attention on the pitching lane. In the field, there are the usual IP's to look for, plus runner(s) leaving early, plus watching the pitch/batter for anything unusual the PU might miss...etc.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Sep 10, 2008, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Then it is no worse than any other call with a line; you call what you can see, you don't call what you aren't in position to see.

It is possible a base umpire, from any position, could clearly see the foot landing completely outside the line; just as a base umpire can call a swing from the wrong side. All I'm saying is that if they want it called consistently, then they need to use all the eyes available. We all know how impossible it is to expect a consistent strike zone on pitchers throwing 60+ with movement, when we are told to look at pitcher's feet and batter's feet all within that half second (60 mph = 88 feet per second).
Even with 3 umpires, from either side, there will be no depth perception to tell if the entire foot is outside the line. And it certainly isn't going to help that these lines will become so obliterated, it will be even more difficult. As previously stated, the idea is commendable and there will be a few more calls made, but I think this is more of a threat to the pitcher and coach than actually getting more calls.
Old Wed Sep 10, 2008, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

I did a fall ball game where they put the pitchers lane in the circle. It lasted about 1 1/2 batters and the drag from the pitcher completely covered the line. She was not stepping out of the lane. The dirt just moved. The coaches from the team said they put the lane in to train their pitchers but it will not work for the purpose of us calling it.

Are they going to want us to call a ball on the batter for the pitcher intentionally removing a line? The pitchers can't help it, they move dirt when they pitch.
Old Wed Sep 10, 2008, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
If it is their normal delivery, can it be defined as intentional?

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Wed Sep 10, 2008, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

A few years ago at a Regional clinic, one of the National Staff members announced that they had asked the NCAA rules committee to get rid of the 24" rule completely but the committee declined. To some the umpires in attendance who hang on every word spoken there this announcement translated to "do not call this". We'll see if umpires who wouldn't call it without the lines will call it now. It may depend of what the Staff says about it in January.
Old Wed Sep 10, 2008, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Even with 3 umpires, from either side, there will be no depth perception to tell if the entire foot is outside the line. And it certainly isn't going to help that these lines will become so obliterated, it will be even more difficult. As previously stated, the idea is commendable and there will be a few more calls made, but I think this is more of a threat to the pitcher and coach than actually getting more calls.
The rule rationale states "To be considered inside the pitcher’s lane, the pitcher shall not have any part of her foot in contact with the ground completely outside of any part of a line that defines the pitcher’s lane." Underline added for emphasis.

It may be a misstatement, but the entire foot does not have to be outside to be illegal. The entire foot must be inside to be legal.

That is somewhat easier to determine; like the entire foot must be inside the batters box at the start of the pitch.
Old Wed Sep 10, 2008, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The rule rationale states "To be considered inside the pitcher’s lane, the pitcher shall not have any part of her foot in contact with the ground completely outside of any part of a line that defines the pitcher’s lane." Underline added for emphasis....
That sentence makes no sense.

..."any part ...completely outside"??

What the heck does that mean?
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 06:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The rule rationale states "To be considered inside the pitcher’s lane, the pitcher shall not have any part of her foot in contact with the ground completely outside of any part of a line that defines the pitcher’s lane." Underline added for emphasis.

It may be a misstatement, but the entire foot does not have to be outside to be illegal. The entire foot must be inside to be legal.

That is somewhat easier to determine; like the entire foot must be inside the batters box at the start of the pitch.
I think we are chasing ghosts here. The next argument from the coach will be, "but she already released the pitch and slid her foot to the side moving into a ready position for fielding a batted ball" or something similar. There will be a million and one excuses and the lines will not remain distinct for long.

The ONLY way to make this work is through the use of synthetic turf and painted lines and I guarantee you that will not happen.
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
Why even worry about calling this. A year ago I posted a video of a women's fp game. The camera was set up in the stands in line with the pitcher and catcher. This particular pitcher was so far out of the 24" that both her feet were at least 12" if not more past the 24". Many on this board said they couldn't tell if she was in fact outside or not. Some even said you get a distorted view from a camera. If they argue about if she is legal or not even when you could play it over and over again, I doubt they would EVER call it in a game. Dave

Last edited by shipwreck; Thu Sep 11, 2008 at 09:40am.
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But this is an NCAA rule. And the NCAA consists of (about 75 percent) Division II, Division III, NAIA, and JC softball programs most all of which currently use 2 man mechanics?
Old Sat Sep 13, 2008, 02:55am
Official Forum Member

Just did a game tonight with the pitching lines on the field. The entire lines were wiped out after 1 full inning (and I am being generous). I made a conscious effort to watch the foot and the line (pitcher was legal, but wanted to see if I could watch the foot) ... gave up after the 2nd pitch. Just couldn't watch the foot and track the ball.
Old Sat Sep 13, 2008, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNTXUM P
but wanted to see if I could watch the foot) ... gave up after the 2nd pitch. Just couldn't watch the foot and track the ball.
We know that as most umpire do, but it isn't the umpire making the rules. I have little doubt that some violations may be so obvious, an umpire will possibly pick it up, but when and at what sacrifice? Will it be like a runner leaving the base early that draws the umpire's attention? If so, that may cause a problem seeing the pitch. Will the umpire see the foot after the ball reaches the catcher? Will there be some umpires who will now look up after the pitch and see the foot outside the lines? But will the umpire know if the foot got there before or after the release of the pitch? You know damn well that the coach is going to see it AFTER the pitch and will complain about it without actually seeing the pitcher complete her delivery.

Many, not all, of the folks who are involved with the rules have never spent a serious moment behind a catcher who believe the lines would solve the problem. They figure if they can see it from the press box, the guy/gal behind the plate shouldn't have a problem. Well, if that's the case, I think all the PUs should have a seat in the nice, cool press box. For that matter, maybe the entire crew should be up these since they obviously have a much better view.