The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 25, 2008, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
another pro nine chest protector question

What does anyone who owns a pro nine chest protector do to keep the flap that goes under the right shoulder pad in place when you raise your arm? Anytime my arm comes a little forward and up, that flap flops on top of the shoulder pad and stays there when I lower my arm. It then sticks straight out and looks ridiculous. I don't really want to cut it off, but could if that is the only solution. I just tried this chest protector tonight for the first time. Dave
Old Mon Aug 25, 2008, 07:46pm
Official Forum Member

I wear 2 t-shirts when I'm on the plate - one under the chest protector and one over the protector. With the Pro-9, that tends to keep that flap in place.
Old Mon Aug 25, 2008, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

Steve, do you wear a stretchy tee shirt like Under Armour? I am assuming so since a regular cotton tee shirt wouldn't keep it in place. How much bigger size do you wear on top since the protector is quite bulky? Dave
Old Mon Aug 25, 2008, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

Dave,
I wear a regular cotton t-shirt, same size as the one I wear under th chest protector. It stretches enough. Sometimes I'll even wear one of the sleeveless ones.
Old Mon Aug 25, 2008, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

Steve, I normally wear Under Armour type. I just put it over the Pro Nine. It stretched and seems like it would be great. I am kinda suprised a regular cotton t would keep the flap in place. Dave
Old Mon Aug 25, 2008, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Seems like an awful lot of trouble to hold a chest protector together.
Old Mon Aug 25, 2008, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

I am guessing the flap(s) you reference are the ones on each side of the chest protector near the arm pit area.
If so, I tuck mine under the main pad. I don't want to cut them off from the protector.
"Slightly" bulky although better than having the flap(s) stick out, especially after raising my arm(s).
Old Tue Aug 26, 2008, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

I just reach up every so often and push it back into place!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Aug 26, 2008, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

U of M Sam. I put my Pro Nine on and did as you suggested. You are right, the flap stays in place and I can hardly tell it is there. I am going to try your idea and Steve's. They both seem like viable solutions to my problem. Dave
Old Tue Aug 26, 2008, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

I've only had my Pro-Nine about a month and only used it in one tournament so far. I didn't notice the issue with the flap, but I will keep it in mind for future reference. Thanks
Old Tue Aug 26, 2008, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Andy, I used mine for the first time last night at a HS scrimmage. I noticed that if I raised my arm from the side to a "hammer" position the flap stayed where it should. If the arm was raised more to the front a little, (sometimes my "hammer" is a little to the front, or like signalling an "infield fly", or on a "punch out", the little flap would come out from under the shoulder cap and stick out. I didn't think it looked very professional adjusting it back under all the time. Dave
Old Tue Aug 26, 2008, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck
U of M Sam. I put my Pro Nine on and did as you suggested. You are right, the flap stays in place and I can hardly tell it is there. I am going to try your idea and Steve's. They both seem like viable solutions to my problem. Dave
Sweet! Glad it also works for you.
Old Tue Aug 26, 2008, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

I don't have a pro 9, or the seemingly similar Honigs K-1, so I have a couple of questions (since I'm considering getting something with better protection than the Honigs K-2 that I use now).

1) Are the Pro 9 and K-1 essentially the same under different names?

2) What is the function of the problematical side flap? (It seems from the picture to be of marginal use.)

3) Does anyone use the K-1, and do you have the same issue with the side flap poking out all the time?

I really don't want to have to wear two shirts under my umpire shirt, so if that is really required with the Pro 9, that one is out for me.
Old Tue Aug 26, 2008, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
I don't have a pro 9, or the seemingly similar Honigs K-1, so I have a couple of questions (since I'm considering getting something with better protection than the Honigs K-2 that I use now).

Having never used a K-1, but having seen them, yes, they are pretty much the same. Of course, the Pro 9 is about a third of the price. Champion now makes one that is almost identical to the Pro 9, but even cheaper.

Quote:
2) What is the function of the problematical side flap? (It seems from the picture to be of marginal use.)
It really is of marginal use. Though it does, when positioned properly, wrap around and protect the rib cage.

Quote:
I really don't want to have to wear two shirts under my umpire shirt, so if that is really required with the Pro 9, that one is out for me.
I don't, nor do I find the "problematic" side pad to be all that "problematic." It is like almost any other gear we wear, occaissionally it needs a little adjusting.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Aug 26, 2008, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

They look the same, but I have not actually looked at a Pro 9 myself.

Quote:
I think it protects the top of the ribcage, around the armpit, though it seems redundant since the current K1 has a hard plastic plate that comes down from the bottom of the shoulder pad and seems to cover most of this area.

Quote:
3) Does anyone use the K-1, and do you have the same issue with the side flap poking out all the time?
I have used the K1 for all my games, BB and SB, for the last 7 years or so. I have not had a problem with the flap. I think the K1 is a great CP. It might look like more protection than you need for softball, but I would rather have a too much. And like I said, I can use it for BB as well.