The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

ASA Robot Umpires

Is it just me or are ASA (and when I say ASA I'm mean umps that live a breath ASA and think that is the only thing out there) becoming way to much like robots.

I worked a couple of games this last softball season with a guy that lives and dies by the ASA and has the personality of a cardboard box on the field. It's pretty bad when you have players even making comments on how he is a robot.

Do't get me wrong if that is how he does it then so be it and a pat on the back to him.

So my real question is this, do you think that it's a bigger deal for you to be sellected to work by your state high school association to work the state tournament or would you consider it a bigger deal to be selected to work an ASA national tournament? I know for me I think that it's a bigger deal to work the HS state tournament.

I guess with my though process I won't be making it to the big time anytime soon. Just thougt I woudl throw it out there and see what you guys and gals think.
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

I see a lot more problems caused in games from umpires using non-standard mechanics than I ever see from umpires using standard mechanics.

ASA's emphasis on using a standard set of mechanics strikes me as a good thing. You'll ultimately get better officials and better officiated games.
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

First, if that is his style that is his style. I don't consider myself robotic but try to get into the right position to make the call. If you want to see "robotic" watch NCAA

I have done ASA Nationals and HS State tourneys. I would do HS over ASA anytime. I love the Oklahoma HS state tournament. Exciting ball. In the smaller schools the towns close down when they are in State and they pack the ASA Hall of Fame Stadiums in OKC. It is a blast.

Don't get me wrong I love the ASA Nationals too but just prefer the atmosphere of HS a lot more.
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan
I see a lot more problems caused in games from umpires using non-standard mechanics than I ever see from umpires using standard mechanics.

ASA's emphasis on using a standard set of mechanics strikes me as a good thing. You'll ultimately get better officials and better officiated games.
Not to mention better communication to the players, coaches, fans and fellow officials.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dholloway1962
First, if that is his style that is his style. I don't consider myself robotic but try to get into the right position to make the call. If you want to see "robotic" watch NCAA

I have done ASA Nationals and HS State tourneys. I would do HS over ASA anytime. I love the Oklahoma HS state tournament. Exciting ball. In the smaller schools the towns close down when they are in State and they pack the ASA Hall of Fame Stadiums in OKC. It is a blast.

Don't get me wrong I love the ASA Nationals too but just prefer the atmosphere of HS a lot more.

What??

From plate stances to angles to set positions to positioning to mechanics to signals??

You surely jest!!........or don't pay attention.
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Is this Wade under a different username?

...reference the 'robot' attributes, you don't mention.. how do his games go?
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Didn't we beat the crap out of this subject in the spring?

And, yes, when it comes to positioning, those teaching NCAA mechanics are turning their blues into robots. We saw it demonstrated in the NCAA Championships where umpires were so driven to get into the prescribed position, they almost missed a play or placed themselves in the middle of it.

Now, if the NCAA folks want an umpire to be in a particular place, that is their business, but not at the cost of not being able to make the appropriate call. Anytime a mechanic is placed above the call, something is wrong.

AFA signals, ASA isn't even close to being as anal on these as they were 10-15 years ago. Yes, there are basics and if that is what an umpire wants to use, who the hell are we to criticize a person for following direction.

Remember when the strike/out signal included reaching high and drop to the hammer? Well, that's gone, but I still use it in the school. Why, you may ask?

Because it is a good exercise to train umpires on how to get to the hammer. By the end of the session, we have them going right to the hammer. Unfortunately, many umpires' hammer lacks crispness because the get lazy. Too many believe just raising the fist with the elbow never leaving the side is hammer enough. IMO, that looks extremely lazy and sloppy.

And who really cares about the players' opinion on an umpire's mechanics? How many times has a player told any of you to get into position and tell you where that is?

We are talking about people who think the guy who announces his game from behind the plate is the best umpire in the world, but don't care for the guy who is doing his job as trained? Yeah, there is a valid authority to provide critique

JMHO
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Didn't we beat the crap out of this subject in the spring?

And, yes, when it comes to positioning, those teaching NCAA mechanics are turning their blues into robots. I disagree. But it probably depends on who you think teach NCAA mechanics. Based on the SUIP and the Umpire Manual there is way less robotic requirements that any other softball affiliation I can think of. We saw it demonstrated in the NCAA Championships where umpires were so driven to get into the prescribed position, they almost missed a play or placed themselves in the middle of it. Examples?? Pretty broad statement?? Reportedly the best officiated WCWS in recent memory according to the various decision making committees.I can remember a call or two that from the outside looking in might be debatable....but over 15 highly scrutinized games....thought it was outstanding personally.

Now, if the NCAA folks want an umpire to be in a particular place, that is their business, but not at the cost of not being able to make the appropriate call. Anytime a mechanic is placed above the call, something is wrong.

AFA signals, ASA isn't even close to being as anal on these as they were 10-15 years ago. Yes, there are basics and if that is what an umpire wants to use, who the hell are we to criticize a person for following direction.

Remember when the strike/out signal included reaching high and drop to the hammer? Well, that's gone, but I still use it in the school. Why, you may ask?

Because it is a good exercise to train umpires on how to get to the hammer. By the end of the session, we have them going right to the hammer. Unfortunately, many umpires' hammer lacks crispness because the get lazy. Too many believe just raising the fist with the elbow never leaving the side is hammer enough. IMO, that looks extremely lazy and sloppy.

And who really cares about the players' opinion on an umpire's mechanics? How many times has a player told any of you to get into position and tell you where that is?

We are talking about people who think the guy who announces his game from behind the plate is the best umpire in the world, but don't care for the guy who is doing his job as trained? Yeah, there is a valid authority to provide critique

JMHO
I guess ya can lead a horse to water....but ya can't make him drink?
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

The umpiring in this years CWS was the best its been in years..... They looked MORE flexible than in years past. Its NOT bad to have standardized signals...but the NCAA DID get to the point of ridiculousness....

If you havent looked at the CCA manual...take a look...well written...
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

I agree that in the past the NCAA consisted of a leadership that mostly promoted another affiliations mechanics, since that was their upbringing, and if they wanted to change anything they drove their point home in a robotic manner.

I think that it has changed dramatically in the past 2-3 years...to the SUIP's credit. And I also agree that the softball umpire manual is excellent in allowing a thought process to supercede x's and o's type robotic movements.
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalumps
I agree that in the past the NCAA consisted of a leadership that mostly promoted another affiliations mechanics, since that was their upbringing, and if they wanted to change anything they drove their point home in a robotic manner.

I think that it has changed dramatically in the past 2-3 years...to the SUIP's credit. And I also agree that the softball umpire manual is excellent in allowing a thought process to supercede x's and o's type robotic movements.

Someone save socalumps....they've captured him and brainwashed him!!! (yes I'm kidding)

When I started dabbling in NCAA a few years ago it was pretty well known that it really didn't matter if you got the call right they just wanted you to be in that perfect 45 or 90 (not alot of emphasis on whether you got it right), not a 47 or 88 angle (and nail the call).

Maybe it's changed, I quick most of it for personal reasons. Still do a alittle bit.
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

I was flipping through the channels the other day and caught a pro fast pitch game just as the batter laid down a sac bunt with a runner on first. Runner broke for 2nd, 1st base ump moved into his perfect 90 degree position to make the call on the the throw from the catcher, directly into the throwing lane from 1st to 2nd. The runner had rounded 2nd, F3 wanted to throw to 2, but the ump was directly in the way.
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

I would suspect that it wasn't a true 90 degree angle if the umpire interfered. Where did the throw come from? Unless the catcher threw directly from the plate angle or from foul territory (usually a bunt goes out further into fair territory) there would be no need to go as far as the 1b-2b baseline, which is a true 90 degrees (intersection of foul line with 1b-2b line). If the 1b is stretching towards the throw from the catcher that would take them even further into the diamond...and if umpire still interfered...they could have been out of position. That would be on the umpire..not the preferred mechanic...I saw the Bandit-Force game, if that is the one you are talking about...didn't see this play.

Be that as it may...if a play (or subsequent play) takes you out of your prefered situation..by all means..move somewhere else. Thats like straddling a passed ball at home and not allowing catcher to get to it because you are in "your position?"
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

I dont think there is any doubt that NCAA has surpassed ASA in mechanics and their system.

The reason for it is simple, ASA designs their mechanic to a lower common denominator of umpire and does little to adjust/allow for adjustment as the umpire advances. They are too rigid in their expectations, to the point of not allowing growth or superior position on a case by case basis.

NCAA 3 man is superior, especially their considerations of inside/out theory vs rim.

NCAA plate positioning is superior.

NCAA focus on being smarter and reading the play is superior.

4th dimension is valid when it is given real consideration as a technique on tag plays.

Umpire-umpire communication is far superior... especially this year with ASA National Staff disallowing nonbook umpire communication.

NCAA is MUCH LESS robotic than in years past IMO. ASA allows no individuality with one single exception - called 3K..

ASA has fallen behind.. where they used to lead the way.

As to being chosen for ASA Nationals vs Fed.. obviously ASA Nationals is superior, especially since it means something towards advancing in umpiring.. whereas post season NFHS means nothing.

Last edited by wadeintothem; Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 07:51pm.
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp
I was flipping through the channels the other day and caught a pro fast pitch game just as the batter laid down a sac bunt with a runner on first. Runner broke for 2nd, 1st base ump moved into his perfect 90 degree position to make the call on the the throw from the catcher, directly into the throwing lane from 1st to 2nd. The runner had rounded 2nd, F3 wanted to throw to 2, but the ump was directly in the way.
The correct mechanic, even if the ball were directly in front of home plate on a sac bunt would be a 90 degree angle from the throw, which would put the ump in the throwing lane to 2nd base, but in this case, the 1B ump would back off this angle a couple of steps (maybe 75 or 80 degree angle) so he/she would not be in the throwing lane. This is why the NCAA now allows their umps to make these decisions after reading what is happening, so they can get in the best possible position for that play but still not interfere with the next possible play.