The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 23, 2008, 02:01am
Official Forum Member

Mistaken Identity

I learned tonight that a local HS coach selected me, at the conclusion of the regular season, as one of his top 5 umpires from within my chapter. This means I was one of the umpires he preferred to have work his sectional games.

Funny thing is.....

He thought my name was Mike when in fact it is something else.
It's no wonder I wasn't selected to work any of his sectional games this past season!

It feels good to be respected as an umpire, but not so much when the coach cannot remember your name.
Old Wed Jul 23, 2008, 06:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBLUE
I learned tonight that a local HS coach selected me, at the conclusion of the regular season, as one of his top 5 umpires from within my chapter. This means I was one of the umpires he preferred to have work his sectional games.

Funny thing is.....

He thought my name was Mike when in fact it is something else.
It's no wonder I wasn't selected to work any of his sectional games this past season!

It feels good to be respected as an umpire, but not so much when the coach cannot remember your name.
Around here, the local association provides photos with the names of each umpire qualified for post-season play so there are no mistakes like that.

Sometimes, it is a good thing. Sometimes, not.
Old Wed Jul 23, 2008, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Well your right on that one....good or bad! And NYblue I feel your pain. Indiana also looks at coaches votest to determine post season assignments. So on one side the best umpires are the ones who call the game and are "forgettable" meaning they did their job but didn't become a part of the game. BUT in these cases you need to be rememberable to a degree so they know you enough to vote for you! And PRAY that you don't have a strange call or bang bang play during their game that goes against them cause you know that will weigh on their voting!! Bad system IMO, but its the one some places use!