The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 11, 2008, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

JMO, but I think by and large the foreign substance rule can be completely ignored in girls FP. They are highly unlikely to be putting an "real" foreign substance on the ball, and neither a little dirt nor a little spit is going to materially alter the flight of the ball - the distance is too short and the ball is too large / heavy.

Besides, all good pitchers are also good at the pretend wipe off. Sometimes they might forget; sometimes I might just not notice.
Old Fri Jul 11, 2008, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

A couple of general comments...

- Is dirt a "foreign substance" with respect to the ball? Sure it is.

Go buy a new ball. Open the package. Take the ball out. Look at it. Does it come with dirt already applied? Of course not. Since dirt is not a naturally occuring substance on a ball, it is indeed "foreign" to the ball.

- Does that mean that we have to replace the game ball with a fresh new one every time the game ball touches the dirt. Absolutely not!

Note that the rule specifically addresses the pitcher applying the foreign substance. It is the willful action of the player, in a possible attempt to gain an unfair advantage, that is illegal- not the substance itself.

Dirt, sand, dust, moisture or mud that gets on the game ball through normal game play (as opposed to a willful act by the pitcher) is incidental- not illegal.
Old Fri Jul 11, 2008, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan
A couple of general comments...

- Is dirt a "foreign substance" with respect to the ball? Sure it is.

Go buy a new ball. Open the package. Take the ball out. Look at it. Does it come with dirt already applied? Of course not. Since dirt is not a naturally occuring substance on a ball, it is indeed "foreign" to the ball.
However, the new ball also comes with a coating that is not meant to be retained and should be removed. Does that mean that since it was that way when the ball was removed from the wrapper, we force the pitcher to throw the ball as is?
Old Fri Jul 11, 2008, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
However, the new ball also comes with a coating that is not meant to be retained and should be removed. Does that mean that since it was that way when the ball was removed from the wrapper, we force the pitcher to throw the ball as is?
No, because there is no rule against REMOVING a substance (foreign or not) from the ball!
Old Fri Jul 11, 2008, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

I'm not a veteran like so many of you, but what I have been taught is:

New balls presented at pre-game conference: Give the balls to the BU and have him/her rub dirt on them during the conference. Toss one into the circle and keep the other one.

New balls coming into the game: Have the coach throw it to the catcher, check the ball to see if it conforms, rub some dirt on the ball and then give it to the pitcher.

Applying foreign substance: Incidental dirt/chalk on the ball happens, but a pitcher (or teammate) applying dirt/chalk/moisture on a ball is illegal. Give them a warning the first time it happens (hopefully before they pitch the ball), and the next time call IP.

I've only called this IP once, on a pitcher who would take the chalk from the circle and rub it between her fingers and would wipe off the chalk onto her pant leg. Then she would lick her fingers and wipe the fingers off on the same spot on her pant leg. Not very smart, if you ask me. It was so obvious that her coach didn't even argue.

NFHS
USSSA
Old Fri Jul 11, 2008, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM FP Ump
Applying foreign substance: Incidental dirt/chalk on the ball happens, but a pitcher (or teammate) applying dirt/chalk/moisture on a ball is illegal. Give them a warning the first time it happens (hopefully before they pitch the ball), and the next time call IP.

I've only called this IP once, on a pitcher who would take the chalk from the circle and rub it between her fingers and would wipe off the chalk onto her pant leg. Then she would lick her fingers and wipe the fingers off on the same spot on her pant leg. Not very smart, if you ask me. It was so obvious that her coach didn't even argue.
First, where does it say you give a warning for an IP?? Call it or don't call it, but don't warn them. That will bite you in the butt sooner or later!! When the other team's girl commits an obvious IP that coach will want the warning as well, and quite honestly he is justified in asking for the warning.

Now, if she wipes her hands I don't have an IP at all, not matter where she wipes it. She is doing what the rule states she has to do, wipe her hands.
Old Fri Jul 11, 2008, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dholloway1962
...Now, if she wipes her hands I don't have an IP at all, not matter where she wipes it. She is doing what the rule states she has to do, wipe her hands.
Again, this only applies to applying saliva onto the ball. If, in the umpire's judgment, she is using this to apply a different foreign substance to the ball (in this case, chalk), then call the IP. The rule does NOT say the pitcher can put whatever crap she wants to on the ball so long as she wipes her hand while doing so.

I agree with your comment about the warnings. You're looking for trouble there. Although I have umpired in a tournament where the umpires were instructed to warn before calling IPs, but that was a rec-level tournament.
Old Fri Jul 11, 2008, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
No, because there is no rule against REMOVING a substance (foreign or not) from the ball!
Yet it is done, routinely, with saliva and/or dirt/sand by an umpire or a team if the ball had been presented to the starting pitcher for pre-game warm-ups.

AFAIC, nothing has been applied to the ball if it isn't there when it reaches home plate.