The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 09, 2008, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump
Actually, wild pitch by rule (at least in baseball, I've never read the scoring section of the fast pitch rule book). A strike cannot be a passed ball.
Not according to OBR. It discusses how to score the runner reaching first on passed ball and on a wild pitch.

But, Dakota is right, it may well have been a WP. (For anyone who might actually care, according to OBR, it would be if it hits the dirt before it got to the catcher). Maybe the coach is mad at himself for calling for a drop with an 0-2 count.
Old Wed Jul 09, 2008, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeputyUICHousto
Girls 14U FP

Bottom of 7, scored tied. Runner on 3rd base with two outs. 0-2 count on batter. Pitcher throws her strikeout pitch in the dirt and it gets by the catcher. Ball rolls through a hole in the backstop. What do you rule?
just for the sake of it, what was the call, if there was one.
Old Wed Jul 09, 2008, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

NFCA Scoring.....

Most fastpitch scorekeepers are generally pointed to the NFCA/ATEC rules for fastpitch scoring. Using that as a reference, rather than OBR, the situation described would be a WP per 'a' below:

"1. A wild pitch is charged to the pitcher when the pitcher throws so high, wide or low that the catcher can not handle the ball with ordinary effort and at least one runner advances.
a - Any pitch in the dirt which advances a runner is deemed wild.
b - Only one wild pitch is scored regardless of the number of runners
who advance or the number of bases advanced.
c - A third strike that is not handled by the catcher because it was
wild, where the batter makes first base safely, is charged to the
pitcher as a strikeout and also as a wild pitch (KWP).
d - No wild pitch is scored if a runner was stealing on the release
Old Wed Jul 09, 2008, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Angry coach ruling

Actually, it makes all the differerence in the world as to whether the pitch is a strike or a ball:

1) If a strike, then you have a batter-runner who is awarded !B and they must fulfill their obligation (i.e - proceed to 1B) or they can jeopardize this walk off win w/ a properly made appeal -- regardless of what the runner at third does or does not do

2) If a ball, there is no burden on batter to do anything except not assist the winning runner coming home

Either way, the runner on third is awarded home, but in the first case her winning run is conditional upon what the BR does and the defense's response

I can visualize IN THIS CASE, if either runner is to be called out on appeal for failure to fulfill obligations, 90% of the time it will be the BR failing to proceed to 1B, not the winning run failing to touch home -- especially if the "winners" are in the first base dugout
Old Wed Jul 09, 2008, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpa
Actually, it makes all the differerence in the world as to whether the pitch is a strike or a ball:

1) If a strike, then you have a batter-runner who is awarded !B and they must fulfill their obligation (i.e - proceed to 1B) or they can jeopardize this walk off win w/ a properly made appeal -- regardless of what the runner at third does or does not do

2) If a ball, there is no burden on batter to do anything except not assist the winning runner coming home

Either way, the runner on third is awarded home, but in the first case her winning run is conditional upon what the BR does and the defense's response

I can visualize IN THIS CASE, if either runner is to be called out on appeal for failure to fulfill obligations, 90% of the time it will be the BR failing to proceed to 1B, not the winning run failing to touch home -- especially if the "winners" are in the first base dugout
I think I covered that...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Doesn't matter what the pitch was (ball or strike - except as it might pertain to a possible appeal at 1B),...
But, thanks for providing all the detail of what "a possible appeal at 1B" entails.
Old Wed Jul 09, 2008, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullCount
Most fastpitch scorekeepers are generally pointed to the NFCA/ATEC rules for fastpitch scoring. Using that as a reference, rather than OBR, the situation described would be a WP per 'a' below:
Absolutely true that we should use softball scoring rules. Youngump had made reference to baseball scoring, which was the only reason I mentioned OBR.
Old Wed Jul 09, 2008, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Doesn't matter what the pitch was (ball or strike - except as it might pertain to a possible appeal at 1B), it is a pitched ball out of play. R1 awarded home and the game is over.

What was the angry coach angry about?
Perhaps his missed opportunity of not attending the game.
Old Wed Jul 09, 2008, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump
Actually, wild pitch by rule (at least in baseball, I've never read the scoring section of the fast pitch rule book). A strike cannot be a passed ball.
Go tell Mickey Owen a strike can't be a passed ball.

Geeeeeeezussss
Old Wed Jul 09, 2008, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpa

I thought we covered that by leaving before they had a chance?