The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 28, 2008, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

What is the "team area"?

ASA Rules:

Field that has dugouts well beyond first/third base. Visiting team elects to use the 1B dugout, the home sets up outside the field, right next to the 3B enclosed dugout. Two or more innings are played. In the bottom of the third (could be fourth, I'm not sure), base ump calls time and confers with PU.

PU then directs home team to move into roofed dugout. Coach makes no argument and team moves equipment, players, etc into dugout.

What rule requires this? I can't find any.
Old Sat Jun 28, 2008, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferMC
ASA Rules:

Field that has dugouts well beyond first/third base. Visiting team elects to use the 1B dugout, the home sets up outside the field, right next to the 3B enclosed dugout. Two or more innings are played. In the bottom of the third (could be fourth, I'm not sure), base ump calls time and confers with PU.

PU then directs home team to move into roofed dugout. Coach makes no argument and team moves equipment, players, etc into dugout.

What rule requires this? I can't find any.
Rule #1, #5.12
Old Sun Jun 29, 2008, 05:24am
Official Forum Member

Thanks, Irish. I was obviously scanning too quickly.
Old Sun Jun 29, 2008, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

It is not unusual for a "dugout area" to be expanded due to a lack of space in fenced/constructed dugout. This usually includes space adjacent to either end of the dugout.

Unless the dugout is inhabitable due to flooding or other reason, it is rare to just ignore the contructed dugout for another area. I can only assume the crew was instructed by someone or given cause to put the team in the dugout.
Old Sun Jun 29, 2008, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe so, but from what I saw, the BU, was in B, talking to no one, when he stopped the game and went to talk with the PU. It doesn't make sense that he wasn't prompted by anything, but that's what it looked like. Maybe he got a cell phone call I didn't see. (The PU had one on his belt). OTOH, maybe he just waited an "appropriate amount of time" after a conversation I didn't see.

In talking to the affected coach, they didn't like the location of the actual dugout ("too far away from the game") and wanted everyone closer. Some of it for ease of coaching, some to get the girls on and off the field (or to bat) more quickly. And probably so their cheering could be heard better.
Old Sun Jun 29, 2008, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Maybe so, but from what I saw, the BU, was in B, talking to no one, when he stopped the game and went to talk with the PU. It doesn't make sense that he wasn't prompted by anything, but that's what it looked like. Maybe he got a cell phone call I didn't see. (The PU had one on his belt). OTOH, maybe he just waited an "appropriate amount of time" after a conversation I didn't see.

In talking to the affected coach, they didn't like the location of the actual dugout ("too far away from the game") and wanted everyone closer. Some of it for ease of coaching, some to get the girls on and off the field (or to bat) more quickly. And probably so their cheering could be heard better.
Home team's complaining about their own dugout? Oh boy... Maybe they should talk with their AD about that.

Until that happens, they go into the dugout. I'll make reasonable exceptions if a situation warrants it (unsafe benches, fresh paint, flooded floors, etc.). However, if the coach's justification is, "well, I just don't like where it's at," then that really doesn't fly far with me.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Sun Jun 29, 2008, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Don't be so sure. Many UICs can communicate with their crew quite easily from a distance
Quote:

Well, if one team is that far away....
Old Sun Jun 29, 2008, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Don't be so sure. Many UICs can communicate with their crew quite easily from a distance

Yeah - I've seen several who all of a sudden were taking some water out to their umps in between innings. I suspect those cold drinks had some hot words with them.
Old Sun Jun 29, 2008, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

As this was at a tournament, "Home" team for each game was decided by coin flip, although they would have had to be considered one of the home teams for the tournament because their practice fields are almost right across the road from the park (in fact, 6 fields of the tournament were in this park, some games were held on a nearby 7th, their "home" field.)

This team had already played 4 games on these fields by then, I don't know what got in to the coach this time.

I really don't think either the TD or UIC would have been involved in this, and weren't in sight (I did look around once I knew what was at issue). I guess they could have faded back into the trees.
Old Sun Jun 29, 2008, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As this was at a tournament, "Home" team for each game was decided by coin flip, although they would have had to be considered one of the home teams for the tournament because their practice fields are almost right across the road from the park (in fact, 6 fields of the tournament were in this park, some games were held on a nearby 7th, their "home" field.)

This team had already played 4 games on these fields by then, I don't know what got in to the coach this time.

I really don't think either the TD or UIC would have been involved in this, and weren't in sight (I did look around once I knew what was at issue). I guess they could have faded back into the trees.
They sound more like NUICs. Ninja-Umpires-in-Chief.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.