Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangel
As a crew, what a partner does, reflects on both. That being said, sometimes we are in a sitch where we just have to make the best of it.
That’s a true assessment. I was pretty sure our reflection would be murky for those two games when he became adamant that he was dressed correctly. It became positive when in the second inning of game one he called a balk on F1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangel
I think I would have politely told BU that I prefer to work w/ BU in right field between innings as it "interferes w/ my focus" or some other BS to keep him away.
That is certainly the correct approach and I would have gone down that path also had the knucklehead been receptive.

Last edited by MichaelVA2000; Mon Jun 30, 2008 at 03:17pm.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelVA2000
Maybe during the UIC/Umpire's pre-tournament meeting we can have an umpire (RV) dressed correctly and then have you standing next to that umpire wearing shorts, a tee shirt, flip-flops and a PONY hat that's wayyyyyy to small for your head. Your attire could be called the PONY Umpire Modified Look (PUML).

HAHAHAHA THAT IS A FANTASTIC IDEA!!!! maybe I could get some fake teeth like the prank kind and the glasses with the mustache and nose.... hmmmm and one more addition ... I could Rant and RAVE about my college schedule....oops one more thing.. I could pretend to have consumed alcohol and poor it out behind a bush hahahahahah

For all those who don't know ... Ed Hickox is the MAN

NFHS NCAA PONY ASA ISC USSSA
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

We just officiated a local GFP tourney of more than 90 teams, 10u through 18u. Unfortunately, this requires the scraping of the bottom of the barrel for umpires, at least until the number of teams gets winnowed down.

On the fields I saw, dress wasn't a particular problem, but mechanics and rule knowledge were another story.

One ump gave us plenty of (1) "Onna cornah for strike 2!" (2) "Ball 4, take ya base!" and (3) Strike 3, battah's out!"

Another, where number 1 batted instead of proper batter number 9 and doubled, enforced the BOO by warning the coach but leaving the runner on 2B. The ump informed the coach that a second infraction would mean ejection, though everything that happens on the field stands. This ump was about to send number 9 up to bat with number 1 on 2B, but I happened to witness this personally and butted in.

Yet another, with 2 out and a runner on 3B in the bottom of the 7th of a 0-0 game, called a "balk" when F1 stopped in her motion in reaction to the batter who had held up her hand to signal a request for time. Game over.

Another, in the plate conference, warned every team that if the runner used the white base and collided with F3, she would be out whether she beat the throw or not.

This spring, I umpired 1 inning of a college game in shorts, boat moccasins, a Phillies' t-shirt, and a visor. My usual partner had been assigned a game in north Jersey, and I traveled up with him to take some pictures of his plate mechanics. Just before game time, his assigned partner called in to say that his teachers' meeting had lasted longer than he expected, so he'd be late. So I acted as BU until he arrived. All I can say for my attire was that it was comfortable, but it's hard to run in those boat shoes. I was considering going barefoot, but the other guy showed up.

Last edited by greymule; Mon Jun 30, 2008 at 12:26pm.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcg NC2Ablu
HAHAHAHA THAT IS A FANTASTIC IDEA!!!! maybe I could get some fake teeth like the prank kind and the glasses with the mustache and nose.... hmmmm and one more addition ... I could Rant and RAVE about my college schedule....oops one more thing.. I could pretend to have consumed alcohol and poor it out behind a bush hahahahahah
I like it. Here's your ATA-Boy: http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c..._2007_63056700
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
This putz never heard of AAA or yellow pages?
He's probably heard of them but I'm not sure he can read them. Hearing, reading.....to much multi-tasking.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule
We just officiated a local GFP tourney of more than 90 teams, 10u through 18u. Unfortunately, this requires the scraping of the bottom of the barrel for umpires, at least until the number of teams gets winnowed down.

On the fields I saw, dress wasn't a particular problem, but mechanics and rule knowledge were another story.

One ump gave us plenty of (1) "Onna cornah for strike 2!" (2) "Ball 4, take ya base!" and (3) Strike 3, battah's out!"

Another, where number 1 batted instead of proper batter number 9 and doubled, enforced the BOO by warning the coach but leaving the runner on 2B. The ump informed the coach that a second infraction would mean ejection, though everything that happens on the field stands. This ump was about to send number 9 up to bat with number 1 on 2B, but I happened to witness this personally and butted in.

Yet another, with 2 out and a runner on 3B in the bottom of the 7th of a 0-0 game, called a "balk" when F1 stopped in her motion in reaction to the batter who had held up her hand to signal a request for time. Game over.

Another, in the plate conference, warned every team that if the runner used the white base and collided with F3, she would be out whether she beat the throw or not.

This spring, I umpired 1 inning of a college game in shorts, boat moccasins, a Phillies' t-shirt, and a visor. My usual partner had been assigned a game in north Jersey, and I traveled up with him to take some pictures of his plate mechanics. Just before game time, his assigned partner called in to say that his teachers' meeting had lasted longer than he expected, so he'd be late. So I acted as BU until he arrived. All I can say for my attire was that it was comfortable, but it's hard to run in those boat shoes. I was considering going barefoot, but the other guy showed up.
I guess I'll have to forgive or raise my opinion of some of the partners I worked with lately.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He's probably heard of them but I'm not sure he can read them. Hearing, reading.....to much multi-tasking.
hahaha or he is illiterate ... dislexic .... blind... def... hahah and I liked the ATA BOY that was fantastic and I owe ya one at the platinum

Old Tue Jul 01, 2008, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBLUE
I would have politely refused to work with him.
If every other umpire did the same then he'd be forced to go behind the dish and work solo or maybe he'd wise up and remove himself from the game entirely.
I had a 23U Fastpitch game and shared the flip-flop/tee shirt story with my partner who knows Mr. Xela. My partner pointed out a missed opportunity. The TD should have provided shirts that had: I'm with STUPID who's the base umpire.

This got me to thinking of another opportunity. Provide the umpires who worked games with Mr. Xela a shirt that says: I SURVIVED working games with a STUPID partner who wore flip-flops and a tee shirt.
Old Tue Jul 01, 2008, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I had a 23U Fastpitch game and shared the flip-flop/tee shirt story with my partner who knows Mr. Xela. My partner pointed out a missed opportunity. The TD should have provided shirts that had: I'm with STUPID who's the base umpire.

This got me to thinking of another opportunity. Provide the umpires who worked games with Mr. Xela a shirt that says: I SURVIVED working games with a STUPID partner who wore flip-flops and a tee shirt.
Or how about...

12 games in 95 degree weather, and all I wore was this stupid t-shirt.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue Jul 01, 2008, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
Or how about...

12 games in 95 degree weather, and all I wore was this stupid t-shirt.
That's an ATA Boy for you also!
Old Wed Jul 02, 2008, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

The only problem with the idea of (RV) wearing the proper uniform to the meeting is that RV will not be bringing uniforms unless absolutely required by LD.

But a good idea none the less.
Old Wed Jul 02, 2008, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outathm
The only problem with the idea of (RV) wearing the proper uniform to the meeting is that RV will not be bringing uniforms unless absolutely required by LD.

But a good idea none the less.
RV not bringing uniforms certainly makes sense. Do you think that (RV) could put in a request to (LD) that if Mr. Xela umpires any games while in Ohio that he be in proper attire? Past history has shown that Mr. Xela does not always learn from his mistakes and it is a NATIONAL tournament.
Old Wed Jul 02, 2008, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe you guys should form your own bash-alex web site.
Old Thu Jul 03, 2008, 05:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
RV not bringing uniforms certainly makes sense. Do you think that (RV) could put in a request to (LD) that if Mr. Xela umpires any games while in Ohio that he be in proper attire? Past history has shown that Mr. Xela does not always learn from his mistakes and it is a NATIONAL tournament.

mr.xela would be better off in flip flops behind the plate... maybe that would end his tournement early

Old Sat Jul 05, 2008, 03:58pm
Administrator

My sons (Mark, Jr., the baseball umpire, and Andy) play in a Knothole (15-18) summer baseball league. This is the third year that Mark has played in this league, so we already know what to expect in the way of umpires: very very few if any are registered as baseball umpires with either the OhioHSAA or MichiganHSAA.

The umpires (both PU and BU) wear khaki cargo shorts (I kid you not.). The umpires can wear either navy blue, red, or powder blue shirts, but the crew is not required to wear the same colored shirts. Hat (the don't have to be a standard umpire's hat, any old baseball style hat will do) are optional even for the PU and if the PU does wear one, it is acceptable to wear it backwards under the mask; the UIC prefers not to wear a hat when behind the plate and feels it is okay to coach a team in the league and order umpires to enforce non-existent rules in the same game that he is coaching.

The PU in one game sent text messages between innings and whenever a pitching change is being made. The BU carried a bottle of water around with him while in the B and C positions on the diamond and felt it was okay to take a drink while the pitcher was pitching.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Closed Thread