The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 01, 2008, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

How many flops?

As the R, I told my crew a few times good job on the no calls. Players were setting up for charges, getting no contact and falling like noodles. As much as I regret it, we had to start calling blocks to clean up the game. What a way to ruin an otherwise beautiful contact with great athletes.

Your thoughts???
Old Fri Feb 01, 2008, 11:07pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by atcref
As the R, I told my crew a few times good job on the no calls. Players were setting up for charges, getting no contact and falling like noodles. As much as I regret it, we had to start calling blocks to clean up the game. What a way to ruin an otherwise beautiful contact with great athletes.

Your thoughts???
You called a block when there was no contact? The Fed rules specifically state that the act to influence an official's decision is a technical foul. Feinting by the defense is exaclty that - trying to influence a decision by the officials. I'd talk to a player the first time it happened - then call a Technical foul after that. They'll stop damn quickly after that.
Old Fri Feb 01, 2008, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the response, by rule you are right, faking is a technical foul. But a player that does not have the guts to stick around for contact and crashes as soon as his chest hairs are touched does not believe he is faking and will rise from the floor in protest that he was run over. These are varsity level players in a tournament championship game. I just wonder who called their previous contests.
Old Fri Feb 01, 2008, 11:19pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Thanks for the response, by rule you are right, faking is a technical foul. But a player that does not have the guts to stick around for contact and crashes as soon as his chest hairs are touched does not believe he is faking and will rise from the floor in protest that he was run over. These are varsity level players in a tournament championship game. I just wonder who called their previous contests.
VB is a final? LOL He needs to adapt. Plain and simple. You can help facilitate this.

I hope this player doesn't think the rest of life is like this.
Old Fri Feb 01, 2008, 11:35pm
Administrator

Quote:

If the defender has not commited technical foul (for flopping), then he has not committed a personal foul (for blocking) either.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Feb 01, 2008, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

explain
Old Fri Feb 01, 2008, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

If you have never seen this before, the aftermath generally is two players on the floor. Where the defender DID NOT maintain his legal guarding position by falling before contact and causing the offensive player to trip and fall with him.
Better put----the contact received would not be enough to knock over a 20 lb toddler, let alone a 6'2" 200 lb man.
Old Fri Feb 01, 2008, 11:55pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
If you have never seen this before, the aftermath generally is two players on the floor. Where the defender DID NOT maintain his legal guarding position by falling before contact and causing the offensive player to trip and fall with him.
Better put----the contact received would not be enough to knock over a 20 lb toddler, let alone a 6'2" 200 lb man.
Explain how he did not maintain a legal guarding position. He went backwards, right, to avoid contact? That's legal.

Flopping to attempt to draw a player control foul has already been explained in this thread. Being a p#%&y doesn't mean the player receives a blocking foul.
Old Sat Feb 02, 2008, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

atcref -- you cannot be serious -- just how you type I call BS
Old Sat Feb 02, 2008, 12:39am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
He fell before contact, but this caused the offensive player to trip and fall? What, exactly, did the offensive player trip over?

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Feb 02, 2008, 07:34am
In Memoriam

Quote:

Your thoughts???
My first thought is that you shouldn't be the R because you quite simply don't understand the rules. You can't call a personal foul WITHOUT contact. That's an absolute basic--rule 4-19-1. The appropriate rule is rule 10-3-7(f)--"faking being fouled."

If you have been around for a while, then you should have read the very explicit FED POE issued in the 2004-05 rule book. Here's the relevant explanation:
Flopping: The defensive player or screener acting as though he or she has been charged by an opponent, when in fact he or she has not been, definitely has an impact on the game. It is detrimental to the best interests of basketball. The "actor" wants to create the false impression that he/she has been fouled in the charging/guarding situation, or while he/she is screening, when in either case there is no contact or incidental contact. The "actor" falls to the court as though he/she was knocked down by the force of the contact. Those actions are designed to have a foul charged to an opponent- a foul not deserved. The "flop" also incites spectators. The rules are in place to deal with such activity and must be enforced. A technical foul is charged to the "actor" in all cases."

You had the right idea in telling your crew that they should deal with the flopping. Unfortunately, you picked a way to do it that was completely wrong according to the rules.
Old Sat Feb 02, 2008, 07:36am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Someone who knows the rules?
Old Sat Feb 02, 2008, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

I've seen it (faking a foul) called once, in an Indiana sectional final in 1978.

That T had a lot of staying power---nobody here has faked a foul since.
Old Sat Feb 02, 2008, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
I have never seen it get called, never called it, never met somebody who called it and until now never heard of it get called...
Old Sat Feb 02, 2008, 03:03pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy voyager
I have never seen it get called, never called it, never met somebody who called it and until now never heard of it get called...
Do you think that using a completely different ruleset might just have a little bit to do with that?