The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 04, 2002, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

I really have no idea why ASA makes their book available only in published form, and also only through official channels (e.g. state UIC's).

I doubt it is a money thing, though, since if that was their motivation, I'd guess they would offer the rule book for sale through every channel available (e.g. via their own web site, Amazon.com, Honig's, Lesters, etc., etc.,).

My guess it has more to do with trying to not have their book copied and then republished under a different name by every 2 bit org that wants to "sanction" organized softball.
Old Thu Apr 04, 2002, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oppool
Mike

Not exactly profit but you were talking about how a other business that are profit business sell items not gave them away as part of their way of making the almighty $$$s.

As for ASA decision not to post their rules on-site really makes no difference to me BUT I do think they could do it and still be able to make it by and it may save them some time not having to answer what I am sure is a piss-pot load of e-mails concerning their rules and how to get a rule book

PLUS I am not trying in anyway to start a disagreement here. I still believe ASA is the best org. out there and I am sure I will continue doing 90%+ of my calling through ASA. I was just stating my opinions on the subject

JMOs

Don
"PLUS I am not trying in anyway to start a disagreement here."

You're no fun

Most umpires know that many non-officials do not read the rule book properly. They look for something which involves their problem and stop when they find anything that can remotely be used to justify their stance. Quite often, as we occasionally do, they don't read ALL the rules applicable to their situation. In other words, they forget to turn the page.

I believe there are enough "myths" out there without an entire new generation coming along with only half of the story.

If someone really wants to know the rules and get a rule book, I have no problem with them coming to a clinic. In DE, all of our clinics are free of costs and open to anyone who would like to join us.

Now, how would you feel if ASA had a password-restricted site for ASA registered umpires ONLY which would include the rule book, case book and other tools of the trade?

Old Thu Apr 04, 2002, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
Talking

Mike, That would be great!!!

Where do I sign up?

SamC
Old Thu Apr 04, 2002, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

I'm right in line behind Sam! Mike, have you got the "pull" to get this going?

Gary

[Edited by ntxblue on Apr 4th, 2002 at 03:30 PM]
Old Thu Apr 04, 2002, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Mike

Sounds good to me. Are you going to twist Merle and Henry arm for us?

Have a good one

Don
Old Thu Apr 04, 2002, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

I'll jump in that line, too. That'd be great.
Old Thu Apr 04, 2002, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Add my name to the "that would be great" list.

Scott
Old Thu Apr 04, 2002, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Mike

Quote:
Originally posted by oppool
Sounds good to me. Are you going to twist Merle and Henry arm for us?

Have a good one

Don
I'll be with Merle and Henry in June. I'll try to remember and ask about the feasibility of such a site.

Old Fri Apr 05, 2002, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

Mike...........

I nominate you to be the Webmaster.........

I KNOW how you have such patience with such things...................grin

Joel
Old Mon Apr 08, 2002, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Gary

Well did you get to call any games this weekend or did most of it get rain out?? What did you think of the NSA guys and rules of you did call some on Sat.?

I will get my 1st league games in the fast-pitch world Wed night if the fields dry out by then....

Everybody fall asleep in here????

Don
Old Tue Apr 09, 2002, 06:00am
Official Forum Member

Don,

I think we are all the same situation that you are in.
Getting way too much rain. We had 4 1/4" here on Sun.
and Mon. I am scheduled to for two games today and in
this case they are at different fields. One is a 4:00
and the other 7:00. About 40 miles apart. Will be a
little hairy on the second one. Called partner and the
coaches to let them know we might be starting late.

Good luck with your FP games.

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2002, 07:25am
Official Forum Member

Don,

We got the entire tournament in on Saturday. Instead of taking a chance on Sunday, Christie decided to use ALL of Saturday. We watched weather.com and the huge front that came through late Saturday afternoon actually split in two when it got to Plano and missed the field. We only had slight rain for a short period of time. The area got 4" of rain, but at the fields we probably had less than 1/2". The fields were so dry that they just drank it up!

As far as rules differences, that wasn't bad. The mechanics differences was interesting to watch. I called only one game with someone I knew - James Williams. I had a good time - had the plate for the championship.

My league games for tonight are probably reealll iffy!!

Gary
Old Tue Apr 09, 2002, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Gary

Congratulations for getting to call the finals I am sure you and James did a great job. Did you get to call any games with Christie or did she just UIC? I got to call with her 2 days last year in the SPA tournament. She was great, one of the best umpires I have ever worked with. She use to coach at John Tyler until a year or two ago. So did the NSA guys feed you B-Cue, pizza or chicken or maybe all three since you had to do it all in one day and I bet they had a big chocolate cake this seems to be there specialties..

Did you get to call tonight and how were the fields of you did? I am schedule tomorrow night..WED

Have a good one

Don
Old Wed Apr 10, 2002, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

Don,

My games last night were called because the fields were still too wet. You should be good to go for tonight.

NSA fed us pizza. I usually bring my own food because I don't like ball park food - too heavy. But after the long day on Saturday, that pizza tasted good around 8:30. Still had another game to call.

Christie is a good umpire. She UIC'd but still had to call games. She didn't have enough people available. I didn't get to call with her, but I watched some of her games. Whenever I am calling with a "new" group of blues, I try to watch each of them so if I'm paired with them later I know what to expect.

Good luck tonight. Remember, this is league play now, so don't expect too much!! Be sure to have fun.

Gary