The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 03, 2002, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

I'm scheduled to call an NSA fastpitch tournament this weekend. Never called NSA before, but downloaded the rule book from their website. ASA needs to take notice of other organizations sites.

I've been pouring over the rule book preparing for Saturday. Don't like the EP & DH rules, but they are NSA's rules - so that's what I'll call.

Any tips that you can share from your NSA "experience" concerning rules differences that caught you off guard?
Old Wed Apr 03, 2002, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

ASA doesn't need to take notice of anything. Why should they give the books away?
Old Wed Apr 03, 2002, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Mike,

ASA protects the distribution of their rule book as if it were the Holy Grail. Do they want to be known as book publishers/sellers or information sharers?

I have no beef with ASA, but they should not bury their heads in the sand as players & teams turn to the other organization options available. I believe ASA is the better of the organizations, but in my area AFA, USFA, and USSSA are making inroads in fastpitch. NSA is established here.

Before I became a softball umpire, I tried to acquire a rule book from the local ASA commisioner. You would have thought that I had asked for his first born. This was the first time any organization had asked me to send off for & pay for their rule book. Little League, Pony, USSSA all in the past were happy for the interest and gladly gave me their rule books. I don't mind paying for the rule book - we all pay for them with our dues, equipment purchases, insurance, etc.

If the rule book was on the ASA website, the information would be readily available to anyone - at any time. Isn't that how it really should be?

Gary

[Edited by ntxblue on Apr 3rd, 2002 at 04:01 PM]
Old Wed Apr 03, 2002, 06:25pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds as if Gary is advocating a softball utopia!

Scott
Old Wed Apr 03, 2002, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Skahtboi
Sounds as if Gary is advocating a softball utopia!

Scott
Scott,

OOuuuch

Sounds as though Mike hit a sore spot. However, Gary
does have a point. Everyone else has rules readily
available, and as Gary stated, ask and they send,
or surf and print.

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Wed Apr 03, 2002, 07:22pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Hey Gary

I think ASA should also post the rules on the internet too. I dont see any harm and probably would save them alot of inquiries.

Anyway on your NSA question I dont have lot of help but a couple of things you probably want to check on before game time

These guys if you hadnt worked with them before are real strict on bat restriction so I would check on those

The 3' base lane is called base line in NSA and does not extend into fair territory when a throw is coming from the foul side

Check to see how they are going to call the safety side 1st base. In the slow pitch games the BR had to hit only the orange side if the runner hit any white NO APPEAL the runner was called OUT when a play was being made at 1st

I notice in their rulebook they dont use the word disqualified everything is "Ejection"

You might want to also post on e-teamz fast-pitch forum seems to be alot of parents and coaches there that have played NSA ball. Dont know how good some of the advice might be but might be worth a try

Hope you have lots of fun

Don
Old Wed Apr 03, 2002, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

Scott,

UTOPIA?!? Hey, we're still talking about softball. Or was that an NSA term?

Glen,

Not a sore spot, just would like the convenience of the access. I don't always have a rule book with me at work, but it would be nice to be able to log on the web to check something out. Heck, with my web access from the mobile phone, I could even check out a rule from the C slot!!(grin)

Gary
Old Wed Apr 03, 2002, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Question FastPitch

Don,

have you done anymore FP Games?
Opportunities should start coming up
real soon. Most rec leagues kicking
off.
--Mark Twain.
Old Wed Apr 03, 2002, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ntxblue
Scott,

UTOPIA?!? Hey, we're still talking about softball. Or was that an NSA term?

Glen,

Not a sore spot, just would like the convenience of the access. I don't always have a rule book with me at work, but it would be nice to be able to log on the web to check something out. Heck, with my web access from the mobile phone, I could even check out a rule from the C slot!!(grin)

Gary
Gary,
That could revolutionize the whole aspect of umpiring. I
can see it now. "time", "hold one coach, I will have an
answer shortly". [beepbeepbeepbeep] damn still busy. "Play
it under protest until we get the ruling coach, I am sure
Joel won't be on much longer." [grin]

Hey, good luck with your tournament.

glen
--Mark Twain.
Old Wed Apr 03, 2002, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Glen

Nope hadnt got a chance to do anymore fast-pitch yet. League play is suppose to start next week. Hopefully I will get scheduled in for some games if I hadnt already been black-balled. I have had to miss the last couple of meetings because of that slow-pitch stuff.

Have a good one

Don
Old Wed Apr 03, 2002, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ntxblue
[B]Mike,

ASA protects the distribution of their rule book as if it were the Holy Grail. Do they want to be known as book publishers/sellers or information sharers?

I have no beef with ASA, but they should not bury their heads in the sand as players & teams turn to the other organization options available. I believe ASA is the better of the organizations, but in my area AFA, USFA, and USSSA are making inroads in fastpitch. NSA is established here.

Before I became a softball umpire, I tried to acquire a rule book from the local ASA commisioner. You would have thought that I had asked for his first born. This was the first time any organization had asked me to send off for & pay for their rule book. Little League, Pony, USSSA all in the past were happy for the interest and gladly gave me their rule books. I don't mind paying for the rule book - we all pay for them with our dues, equipment purchases, insurance, etc.

If the rule book was on the ASA website, the information would be readily available to anyone - at any time. Isn't that how it really should be?

Gary

[Edited by IRISHMAFIA on Apr 3rd, 2002 at 09:25 PM]
Old Wed Apr 03, 2002, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Mike

The Amateur Softball Association (ASA), a volunteer driven, not-for-profit organization based in Oklahoma City, OK, was founded in 1933 and has evolved into the strongest softball

Not like normal business situation when they add these tax free words. Even though when you attend there meeting and seminars I left with a different feeling than this

JMO

Don

Mike I working on this before you edited your prior post.

[Edited by oppool on Apr 3rd, 2002 at 09:31 PM]
Old Wed Apr 03, 2002, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

For years, and may still be for as much as I know, Blue Cross/Blue Shield was a not-for-profit business also. They also owned a block of season tickets in Veteran's Stadium for Phillies games.

Being not-for-profit does not exempt a business from legal claims and the cost of doing business.

BTW, at no point in my previous post did I suggest that ASA made a profit, did I?

Old Wed Apr 03, 2002, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Mike

Not exactly profit but you were talking about how a other business that are profit business sell items not gave them away as part of their way of making the almighty $$$s.

As for ASA decision not to post their rules on-site really makes no difference to me BUT I do think they could do it and still be able to make it by and it may save them some time not having to answer what I am sure is a piss-pot load of e-mails concerning their rules and how to get a rule book

PLUS I am not trying in anyway to start a disagreement here. I still believe ASA is the best org. out there and I am sure I will continue doing 90%+ of my calling through ASA. I was just stating my opinions on the subject

JMOs

Don
Old Wed Apr 03, 2002, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

I don't really care too much whether ASA puts their books online. I would like to see the rule book and case book available to load to my pc. I'd like to be able to do a search on a word or phrase. I'd like to see Fed do the same thing. I do have the NCAA book online and that has been handy to have.