The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

I work for several different associations and receive a check about a month after the last HS games are played. Starting this year, one of the associations has begun using RefPay. My debit card arrived in the mail on Saturday.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
Oh. Great. You have been watching too many cheap lawyer commercials on TV.
Could not resist. How many times do you get to use something you see over
and over on FOX NEWS network.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelVA2000
I work for several different associations and receive a check about a month after the last HS games are played. Starting this year, one of the associations has begun using RefPay. My debit card arrived in the mail on Saturday.
I've never heard of RefPay. Can you elaborate on what it is and how it functions? Thanks!
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

Here in NY, the individual school districts pay the officials by check through the mail. Most arrive within 2-3 weeks. Some arrive sooner. Private schools are more rapid with payment relative to the public districts. However, there are a few schools who have taken up to 8 weeks or more to send payments out.

Basically, officials complete their vouchers at the game site, the coach signs them at some point and hands them to the AD's office. The AD must sign the form and, in the case with most districts, the payment must be approved at a school board meeting which is convienently held once a month in most districts.
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 06:57am
Official Forum Member

My umpire association pays us every two weeks throughout the season for games we have worked. They give us the option of asking to be paid on a different schedule, as long as it is not a shorter time period. At least one guy asks to be paid at the end of the year in a lump sum, which he uses for a vacation.

When I am doing a game a high school game that I have scheduled myself, every school I have worked at has given me a check in advance. When I am doing travel ball games during the summer, I have always been paid at the end of the game(s).

It's the same for me during the volleyball season. I schedule all my matches myself, and I always get a check before I even walk through the gym doors. I guess I'm pretty lucky!
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Boy, I guess we have it good here in the Land of Enchantment. The schools pay the New Mexico Activities Association before the season even starts. The NMAA pays the respective official's associations. We hand in invoices for the games we officiate at our weekly Monday meetings, and get paid every two weeks. Some officials just keep their invoices until the end of the season and get one check after the season ends.

The larger public schools are the best at paying and the smaller schools have to be reminded, and reminded, and reminded. The missing paychecks around here are usually for pre-season scrimmage games. I don't know why the schools are delinquent when it comes to scrimmage games. I called 4 scrimmage games in April and was only paid for 2; oh well...

NFHS
USSSA
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM FP Ump
...I called 4 scrimmage games in April and was only paid for 2; oh well...

We don't get paid for scrimmages at all.
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota

Nor do we.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota

You should.
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like we're really lucky in KS. KSHSAA requires schools to have checks available to officials BEFORE the contest starts.
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBLUE
I've never heard of RefPay. Can you elaborate on what it is and how it functions? Thanks!
Try this link: http://www.thearbiter.net/groups/fil...icialguide.doc
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSRef
Sounds like we're really lucky in KS. KSHSAA requires schools to have checks available to officials BEFORE the contest starts.
As does AZ.

At best, the AD is looking for us changing in the parking lot, at worst, the home coach has the checks (or cash) waiting for us on the field.
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
As does AZ.

At best, the AD is looking for us changing in the parking lot, at worst, the home coach has the checks (or cash) waiting for us on the field.
Boy, THAT doesn't look suspicious, does it, visiting coach?

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBLUE
Here in NY, the individual school districts pay the officials by check through the mail. Most arrive within 2-3 weeks. Some arrive sooner. Private schools are more rapid with payment relative to the public districts. However, there are a few schools who have taken up to 8 weeks or more to send payments out.

Basically, officials complete their vouchers at the game site, the coach signs them at some point and hands them to the AD's office. The AD must sign the form and, in the case with most districts, the payment must be approved at a school board meeting which is convienently held once a month in most districts.
Maybe in your section of New York, but here in the Hudson Valley, there is a school group called BOCES , which is for all the local schools pooling resources of tech training, supplies and other services...including athletics. They handle all the scheduling of games, and we submit to them (usually electronically) a voucher at the end of each month, with a check about two weeks or so later...
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Maybe in your section of New York, but here in the Hudson Valley, there is a school group called BOCES , which is for all the local schools pooling resources of tech training, supplies and other services...including athletics. They handle all the scheduling of games, and we submit to them (usually electronically) a voucher at the end of each month, with a check about two weeks or so later...
I'm not surprised. In NY, I beleive each Section has its own contract/agreement with the sports offiicals. All the schools within that Section handle payments in the same manner. Other Sections may or may not do it differently.