The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Keeping cool in the heat

Well I do get to go to Clovis, CA this summer. With the way this season has gone so far it may be the first time I actually see some sun (and heat). So I have started to look into alternative cooling technologies. What do you guys do in your way hotter environments to keep cool?

Do any of you guys use the Schutt kool chest protector? How does it work for you? It is adjustable? Where did you get it?

Thanks
Bugg
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

While Pa is not known as a high temperature area, we do get warm & humid at times. Yesterday, for example - upper 90's in temp with close to 90% humidity.
I have the Schutt's protector but do not use the ice packs. With the way i sweat, those packs would be gone by the end of the first inning. Genereally, I just make sure that I've got plenty of water - room temperature water - in me. I'll drink 2-3 20 ounce bottles during a plate game.

In between games in tournaments, I'll make sure that I get the uniform off and some shorts on - trying to stay out of the sun.

Use suntan lotion, follow the philosophy that if you don't have to go, you need to drink more and you'll do fine in the heat.

And all that heat just makes the beer taste better at the end of the day.
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggBob
Well I do get to go to Clovis, CA this summer. With the way this season has gone so far it may be the first time I actually see some sun (and heat). So I have started to look into alternative cooling technologies. What do you guys do in your way hotter environments to keep cool?

Do any of you guys use the Schutt kool chest protector? How does it work for you? It is adjustable? Where did you get it?

Thanks
Bugg
I live in the northern part of the valley you're going to so we have similar temps/weather.

I just bought the Schutt kool chest protector and I will let you know how it goes after this weekend.

Last edited by Chess Ref; Tue Jun 10, 2008 at 02:58pm.
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

The key to hydration is to start three days out. You cannot hydrate the day of the game.
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

My thought has been that the Schutt's cool packs idea was more gimmick than useful, especially for day-long tournaments. Strikes me as useless weight after a relatively short time, and that by the time I would NEED the cooling effects, it would be long gone.

But, that is my skepticism only; I don't own one.
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
The key to hydration is to start three days out. You cannot hydrate the day of the game.
I agree - and I've been drinking lots of water daily for a couple of years now. There are other health benefits to lots of water every day. But on a tournament game day - if you don't gotta go, you need to drink.
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

I have the Shutt Kool vest and I like it. I also have not used the ice packs but the protector itself has cool material like under armour in it.....and it is adjustable velcro on sides to adjust to belly sizes....I would reccommend going larger than you think you need....getting it on and off can be a challange if you are a big guy, but when I got the XXL no issue....sold my XL to another umpiring buddy, hey wait I still need to get the $$ from him....but speaking with someone else who has had one for a while they rotate the ice packs half way through a VERY hot game and it does help...get some extras and have a set in a cooler ready to go and have a friend with an off game rotate them out for you inbetween innings...she says it makes all the difference in a long game in the hot sun....I will be able to tell you in a couple of weekends!
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As a tournament tennis player and ump in the Central Valley these are words to live by.....
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Prior to each game, you and your partner(s) should agree to keep a close on eye each other. I've seen guys go down in the middle of games and their partners looked surprised.
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
Just for the un-informed of us.

Why?

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBLUE
Prior to each game, you and your partner(s) should agree to keep a close on eye each other. I've seen guys go down in the middle of games and their partners looked surprised.
Well, if someone went down on me in the middle of the game, I'd be surprised, too.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue
Just for the un-informed of us.

Why?
Your body takes a while to absorb the liquids. The liquids you drink during the game will get to where it needs to go well afterward. The only benefit you get from drinking cool liquids during the game is just that... Cool liquid to give you a quick fix.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
Well, if someone went down on me in the middle of the game, I'd be surprised, too.
...but happy.
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Clary
...but happy.
Not if it's my partner!

Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

You work with ugly partners?