The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 03, 2004, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Working a couple of college games today. One of the coaches came up to me & told me that they were signing a player this coming week. I put the coach & player intouch saying this one is interested in your school and it's my opinion that she can play at this level. If this does happen, this will be close to 10 that I've helped get into colleges & play college ball.
Old Sun Apr 04, 2004, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve M
Working a couple of college games today. One of the coaches came up to me & told me that they were signing a player this coming week. I put the coach & player intouch saying this one is interested in your school and it's my opinion that she can play at this level. If this does happen, this will be close to 10 that I've helped get into colleges & play college ball.
Steve,

That is a good thing, just be very careful how that is done though. NCAA has some really strange rules about outside interference when it comes to recruiting. But I think you already knew that.

Old Sun Apr 04, 2004, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Mike,
Good point. Before I did anything with the first player - and with every one since -I have said to the college coaches something like "Do not let my trying to help a kid put either you or the kid in a position where the intent or spirit of the NCAA's rulings is violated." Most coaches are pretty appreciative of that position and their position. None of the kids have know anything until after they signed.
Old Sun Apr 04, 2004, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Atta Boy Steve

I think it is great that you are helping players get picked up for college ball. Actually umpires in a lot of cases probably know the area players better than the college recruiters do and what abilities they have. I know a lot of the umpires here have seen these girls play since they started out in t-ball.

A little bit off subject

This week after a game a coach from another team that was not involved in the game that I have called for before came to me after the game to talk about the play of the teams involved. Is this considered a no-no to talk with other coaches after a game that was not involved??

Don
Old Sun Apr 04, 2004, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Atta Boy Steve

Quote:
Originally posted by oppool
This week after a game a coach from another team that was not involved in the game that I have called for before came to me after the game to talk about the play of the teams involved. Is this considered a no-no to talk with other coaches after a game that was not involved??

Don
Don---interesting situation. I had a coach last week ask me if the pitcher he was facing was throwing hard...his girl's weren't hitting her. This pitcher is one of the best in the state, but she doesn't throw hard. She can place the ball on a dime, and has about 5 different pitches, all legitimate KO pitches. I told him that she wasn't throwing hard (at this point the game was 8-0) but was moving the ball very well. He said, "we need to work on that, thanks."

I don't think this team will ever be the "caliber" of the first team (first team is currently No. 2 in the state, pitcher has a 0.00 ERA and is averaging 13 K's per game). But did I overstep my bounds by talking to this coach? I don't know. The only thing I can say is that before the game the visiting team (the first team) coach told the other coach who he was pitching and what he was going to work on with his pitcher).

For your situation, I think you did the right thing. We do know the pitchers and teams better than anyone else does. We get to see the pitchers from the best angle, we know how the ball moves. We must read defenses to see how different situations will be handles (I call this THINKING THE GAME). I would never share information about two teams playing in a game to someone who wasn't involved in a game.
Old Sun Apr 04, 2004, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Atta Boy Steve

Quote:
Originally posted by oppool
I think it is great that you are helping players get picked up for college ball. Actually umpires in a lot of cases probably know the area players better than the college recruiters do and what abilities they have. I know a lot of the umpires here have seen these girls play since they started out in t-ball.

A little bit off subject

Don
Don,

JMHO. If the schools are going to play each other during
the season, Just tell coach politely to send an Asst. coach to
scout them. It would depend also on the type information h/she is
looking for. I would try to avoid the situation. It use to
happen all the time, but they now know I will avoid the issue.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Sun Apr 04, 2004, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

Steve,

I think it is great that you can get these players a good look at
from the college scouts. They obviously respect your opinion
in this area. I am sure all concerned are appreciative.
Good job.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.