The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

4th Dimension and Evaluators

Of course, there is no such thing, the umpire is just getting a different angle.

What I don't like about the way this is presented is the same as many other little "tricks" that someone comes up with as if there is some new mystical mechanic. This is nothing new. Umpires have always been instructed to adjust their position and view of a play as it's development dictated and that includes stepping in if it helps see the play.

We saw a couple instances last weekend where umpires moved into a position that was not the best place for the play at hand. However, as stated in another post, it was what the evaluators want to see.

My question is, (at all levels) how far are umpires willing to go to satisfy an evaluator? Will an umpire forego a good angle to please an evaluator? Are there evaluators so set on the "given" mechanics, they will gig an umpire that deviates to get a better look at a play?

Thoughts?
Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

Actually, I always heard the "4th dimension" was time travel.

That would certainly make calls much easier.
Quote:
My question is, (at all levels) how far are umpires willing to go to satisfy an evaluator? Will an umpire forego a good angle to please an evaluator? Are there evaluators so set on the "given" mechanics, they will gig an umpire that deviates to get a better look at a play?
I do most times I head up 3BL to ASA's recommended position every time there is a call where I should be in 3BL extended and when that position is the superior position.

Last edited by wadeintothem; Thu Jun 05, 2008 at 06:56pm.
Old Fri Jun 06, 2008, 05:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Of course, there is no such thing, the umpire is just getting a different angle.

What I don't like about the way this is presented is the same as many other little "tricks" that someone comes up with as if there is some new mystical mechanic. This is nothing new. Umpires have always been instructed to adjust their position and view of a play as it's development dictated and that includes stepping in if it helps see the play.

We saw a couple instances last weekend where umpires moved into a position that was not the best place for the play at hand. However, as stated in another post, it was what the evaluators want to see.

Thoughts?
If you can back yourself up with the manual or a dang good reason .... other than I felt like..... then ok evaluators should at least listen. The 4Th demension has nothing to do with forgoing an angle its the same angle but closer..... If I can back myself with a manual or a dang good reason then I dont care if I get gigged.

For all those who don't know ... Ed Hickox is the MAN

NFHS NCAA PONY ASA ISC USSSA
Old Fri Jun 06, 2008, 07:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcg NC2Ablu
The 4Th demension has nothing to do with forgoing an angle its the same angle but closer.....
It is all about the angle. For an umpire to keep the same angle of view as s/he approaches a play, they would have to lower their eye level. At 6', that umpire better have eyeballs on the knees to have the same view as there was from 12'
Old Fri Jun 06, 2008, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It is all about the angle. For an umpire to keep the same angle of view as s/he approaches a play, they would have to lower their eye level. At 6', that umpire better have eyeballs on the knees to have the same view as there was from 12'
I think you got it backwards, but wearing shorts working SP you could have eyes on your knees and not miss the call
Old Fri Jun 06, 2008, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outathm
I think you got it backwards,
Not at all. Try it.
Old Fri Jun 06, 2008, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outathm
I think you got it backwards, but wearing shorts working SP you could have eyes on your knees and not miss the call
dang a little bit rough ... but ... it makes it oh so clear now... I must have taken my sunglasses off.... U .... M....W fill in the blank outathm

For all those who don't know ... Ed Hickox is the MAN

NFHS NCAA PONY ASA ISC USSSA
Old Fri Jun 06, 2008, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thoughts?
Back to the original question. I used to think this way when I was getting an evaluation. I tried to work the mechanics/suggestions that had been given by the evaluator. Now, I use the mechanics that work/are most comfortable for me in order to make the call, and then attempt to explain my reasoning when the evaluator dings me for it. Often, many evaluators (myself included) can accept a logical reasoning for a mechanic that serves the umpire better. Sometimes it is better to ask for forgiveness than permission.

That being said, I am a firm believer of moving as the play develops, and using any and all angles that will help me in making decisions. The play is a three dimensional thing, so why exclude something like looking over the top of a play if it provides you with information you need to rule correctly? Just a couple of weeks ago, I saw a MLB umpire use this very tool to make an excellent call at the plate that the TH's were convinced he had blown until they reviewed it in slo-mo a half a dozen times from a myriad of angles. It has also helped me out many times since I incorporated it, including on a play I had just last week in the state semis.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri Jun 06, 2008, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi

That being said, I am a firm believer of moving as the play develops, and using any and all angles that will help me in making decisions. The play is a three dimensional thing, so why exclude something like looking over the top of a play if it provides you with information you need to rule correctly?
I don't remember any comment of "excluding" anything.
Old Fri Jun 06, 2008, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't remember any comment of "excluding" anything.
I wasn't implying you. That was simply a rhetorical question. Have you not noticed that I have a bad habit of doing that?

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri Jun 06, 2008, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
I wasn't implying you. That was simply a rhetorical question. Have you not noticed that I have a bad habit of doing that?
Doing what?