The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   4th Dimension and Evaluators (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/45181-4th-dimension-evaluators.html)

IRISHMAFIA Thu Jun 05, 2008 03:40pm

4th Dimension and Evaluators

Of course, there is no such thing, the umpire is just getting a different angle.

What I don't like about the way this is presented is the same as many other little "tricks" that someone comes up with as if there is some new mystical mechanic. This is nothing new. Umpires have always been instructed to adjust their position and view of a play as it's development dictated and that includes stepping in if it helps see the play.

We saw a couple instances last weekend where umpires moved into a position that was not the best place for the play at hand. However, as stated in another post, it was what the evaluators want to see.

My question is, (at all levels) how far are umpires willing to go to satisfy an evaluator? Will an umpire forego a good angle to please an evaluator? Are there evaluators so set on the "given" mechanics, they will gig an umpire that deviates to get a better look at a play?

Thoughts?

wadeintothem Thu Jun 05, 2008 06:54pm

Actually, I always heard the "4th dimension" was time travel.

That would certainly make calls much easier.
Quote:

My question is, (at all levels) how far are umpires willing to go to satisfy an evaluator? Will an umpire forego a good angle to please an evaluator? Are there evaluators so set on the "given" mechanics, they will gig an umpire that deviates to get a better look at a play?
I do most times I head up 3BL to ASA's recommended position every time there is a call where I should be in 3BL extended and when that position is the superior position.

kcg NC2Ablu Fri Jun 06, 2008 05:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Of course, there is no such thing, the umpire is just getting a different angle.

What I don't like about the way this is presented is the same as many other little "tricks" that someone comes up with as if there is some new mystical mechanic. This is nothing new. Umpires have always been instructed to adjust their position and view of a play as it's development dictated and that includes stepping in if it helps see the play.

We saw a couple instances last weekend where umpires moved into a position that was not the best place for the play at hand. However, as stated in another post, it was what the evaluators want to see.

Thoughts?

If you can back yourself up with the manual or a dang good reason .... other than I felt like..... then ok evaluators should at least listen. The 4Th demension has nothing to do with forgoing an angle its the same angle but closer..... If I can back myself with a manual or a dang good reason then I dont care if I get gigged.

IRISHMAFIA Fri Jun 06, 2008 07:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcg NC2Ablu
The 4Th demension has nothing to do with forgoing an angle its the same angle but closer.....

It is all about the angle. For an umpire to keep the same angle of view as s/he approaches a play, they would have to lower their eye level. At 6', that umpire better have eyeballs on the knees to have the same view as there was from 12'
;)

outathm Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:46am

Quote:

It is all about the angle. For an umpire to keep the same angle of view as s/he approaches a play, they would have to lower their eye level. At 6', that umpire better have eyeballs on the knees to have the same view as there was from 12'
;)

I think you got it backwards, but wearing shorts working SP you could have eyes on your knees and not miss the call :)

IRISHMAFIA Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by outathm
I think you got it backwards,

Not at all. Try it.

kcg NC2Ablu Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by outathm
I think you got it backwards, but wearing shorts working SP you could have eyes on your knees and not miss the call :)

dang a little bit rough ... but ... it makes it oh so clear now... I must have taken my sunglasses off.... :eek: U .... M....W fill in the blank outathm

Skahtboi Fri Jun 06, 2008 01:20pm

Quote:

Thoughts?

Back to the original question. I used to think this way when I was getting an evaluation. I tried to work the mechanics/suggestions that had been given by the evaluator. Now, I use the mechanics that work/are most comfortable for me in order to make the call, and then attempt to explain my reasoning when the evaluator dings me for it. Often, many evaluators (myself included) can accept a logical reasoning for a mechanic that serves the umpire better. Sometimes it is better to ask for forgiveness than permission.

That being said, I am a firm believer of moving as the play develops, and using any and all angles that will help me in making decisions. The play is a three dimensional thing, so why exclude something like looking over the top of a play if it provides you with information you need to rule correctly? Just a couple of weeks ago, I saw a MLB umpire use this very tool to make an excellent call at the plate that the TH's were convinced he had blown until they reviewed it in slo-mo a half a dozen times from a myriad of angles. It has also helped me out many times since I incorporated it, including on a play I had just last week in the state semis.

IRISHMAFIA Fri Jun 06, 2008 03:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skahtboi

That being said, I am a firm believer of moving as the play develops, and using any and all angles that will help me in making decisions. The play is a three dimensional thing, so why exclude something like looking over the top of a play if it provides you with information you need to rule correctly?

I don't remember any comment of "excluding" anything.

Skahtboi Fri Jun 06, 2008 03:43pm

Quote:

I don't remember any comment of "excluding" anything.

I wasn't implying you. That was simply a rhetorical question. Have you not noticed that I have a bad habit of doing that? :D

IRISHMAFIA Fri Jun 06, 2008 05:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skahtboi
I wasn't implying you. That was simply a rhetorical question. Have you not noticed that I have a bad habit of doing that? :D

Doing what?:rolleyes: