The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 05, 2003, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Angry

I had a game last night with a very good partner that went very well, then the evaluation............
First let me say I like the feedback an experienced ovserver can offer, there are always little things that can help your game and occasionally big things but last night really p****ed me off.
This guy is a board member etc etc, so he should have the credentials, right?
He came in and started busting my chop over what he said was the improper application of a rule, problem was he demanded that I explain the rule and when I did he went on and on about how wrong I was.
I have been around a long time so I know to take an evaluation and go on but this one really went out of line.
Finally, I told him that if he thought I was wrong, that he was going to have to show it to me in his rule book (which he had been pointing to). Of course this was too much for him and he again started to berate me and my partner (my partner agreed with me that the call and the penalty had been handled properly)
This was too much for me and I told him to shut up and take it to the Board but for now leave us alone. I told him when he learned the NHHS rules and applicaitons then he could come talk to me.
This guy is MR Big Time, D1 official and works the CBA also BUT HE DOESN'T KNOW HIGH SCHOOL RULES!
Well, this morning Mr. Evaluator sends me an email telling me that he got the rule wrong as well as a few other things we disagreed about.
I say if you are going to evaluate, at least know what code you are working.

Thank you, this rant brought to you by your local high school association.
Old Fri Dec 05, 2003, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Just goes to show ...

Quote:
Originally posted by scottk_61
I had a game last night with a very good partner that went very well, then the evaluation............
First let me say I like the feedback an experienced ovserver can offer, there are always little things that can help your game and occasionally big things but last night really p****ed me off.
This guy is a board member etc etc, so he should have the credentials, right?
He came in and started busting my chop over what he said was the improper application of a rule, problem was he demanded that I explain the rule and when I did he went on and on about how wrong I was.
I have been around a long time so I know to take an evaluation and go on but this one really went out of line.
Finally, I told him that if he thought I was wrong, that he was going to have to show it to me in his rule book (which he had been pointing to). Of course this was too much for him and he again started to berate me and my partner (my partner agreed with me that the call and the penalty had been handled properly)
This was too much for me and I told him to shut up and take it to the Board but for now leave us alone. I told him when he learned the NHHS rules and applicaitons then he could come talk to me.
This guy is MR Big Time, D1 official and works the CBA also BUT HE DOESN'T KNOW HIGH SCHOOL RULES!
Well, this morning Mr. Evaluator sends me an email telling me that he got the rule wrong as well as a few other things we disagreed about.

Thank you, this rant brought to you by your local high school association.
I learned a long time ago, that just because you call D1 or higher level ball, that often does not equate into a better knowledge or a practical knowledge of the rules.

We have several guys in our HS group who call college, and they are good officials, but they often struggle with keeping the rules separated.

Higher level ball is so political that often the most knowledgeable officials get overlooked by the system.

I only call HS basketball, but in baseball I call multi-levels and we see it all the time.

I attend a lot of ju/co and college games though and I see it first hand in basketball.

Thanks
David
Old Fri Dec 05, 2003, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I have to admire a big shot like this who has the integrity to look it up and contact you to let you know he was wrong.
Old Fri Dec 05, 2003, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with Cameron, it takes a lot of integrity to aplolgize for what happened. And just out of curiosity, what was the rule and application he disagreed with??
Old Fri Dec 05, 2003, 03:04pm
Esteemed Participant

Ok, so he was wrong and admitted it...what did YOU learn from the situation?? You were right and got to tell everyone...but did you walk away from the situation as a better official? Guess what I am getting at is that the discussion turned into an argument - maybe this was a situation you can learn from...like how to better communicate with someone, even when you know you are right...isn't that the basis of our relationship/communications with coaches anyway? We've all been through this situation with evaluators, but the question is: What can I take from the situation that will make me a better official?
Old Fri Dec 05, 2003, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Scott
I understand your frustration, but at the same time, I truly believe you could have handled your end better as well. Parting shots accomplish nothing (your "know the rules" potshot) except to increase the animosity.

I always advise people to control their own emotions because it gives you the upper hand. Let the other person show you how they feel, but don't let them know that they got to you, especially when you are angry. You have more info than they do and can better control the situation.
Old Fri Dec 05, 2003, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:

I have to admire a big shot like this who has the integrity to look it up and contact you to let you know he was wrong.
Camron, I agree, but I wonder if he apologized for his attitude, as well? If not, it's only a partial apology, in my book.

Scott, you should be sure the person in charge of evaluators knows about this incident. Be sure you don't get emotional when you talk about it, but it is an issue. If he tried that with a less confident newbie, that newbie would be another person in your association who would be getting a rule wrong, because of someone who's supposed to be helping them get better. Furthermore, no one with less than about 5 years experience should get yelled at for any reason. Well, actually no one EVER should, but especially not the newbies. We have enough trouble keeping enough refs, we don't need evaluators adding to the problem!

[Edited by rainmaker on Dec 5th, 2003 at 10:11 PM]