The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 04, 2008, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Courtesy Runner

Hi all,

Got a Q regarding ASA courtesy runner for J.O. Fastpitch. Rule book states that anyone who has participated in the game cannot courtesy run. Does this mean that if the player courtesy ran for the pitcher during inning 1, that the same player cannot courtesy run for the pitcher again later in the game, assuming this player did not bat or play defense?

Thanks
Steve
Old Wed Jun 04, 2008, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

No. As long as she did not enter as a sub, she can again run for the pitcher.
Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 07:06am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprivitor
Hi all,

Got a Q regarding ASA courtesy runner for J.O. Fastpitch. Rule book states that anyone who has participated in the game cannot courtesy run. Does this mean that if the player courtesy ran for the pitcher during inning 1, that the same player cannot courtesy run for the pitcher again later in the game, assuming this player did not bat or play defense?

Thanks
Steve
Being a CR is not considered participating in the game for later CR purposes or for later substitution. The only restriction resulting from the CR appearance is not being able to run for the other position. Not just ASA, all rule sets.
Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
Being a CR is not considered participating in the game for later CR purposes or for later substitution. The only restriction resulting from the CR appearance is not being able to run for the other position. Not just ASA, all rule sets.

Not true in NSA, Cecil. NSA seems to be back burner in most discussions here. In Indiana, its the leading organization - by far.

In NSA CR can be player in slot where last out was made or any player not in game. Only restriction is cant be CR more than 1 time per inning. If run for Catch in first, can run for Pitch in second, etc.

Also a player with no sub eligability (ie alreadr re-entered once and subbed for again) can CR. Do not know if this is true in other rule sets.
Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie
Not true in NSA, Cecil. NSA seems to be back burner in most discussions here. In Indiana, its the leading organization - by far.

In NSA CR can be player in slot where last out was made or any player not in game. Only restriction is cant be CR more than 1 time per inning. If run for Catch in first, can run for Pitch in second, etc.

Also a player with no sub eligability (ie alreadr re-entered once and subbed for again) can CR. Do not know if this is true in other rule sets.
Wow, NSA is different. It's different than any rule set I know of.
Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M
Wow, NSA is different. It's different than any rule set I know of.
Yeah, they also have EPs and a bunch of crazy line-up stuff.
Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Also a player with no sub eligibility (ie alreadr re-entered once and subbed for again) can CR. Do not know if this is true in other rule sets.
Sorry, also unfortunately USSSA also allows the same CR for both positions if in different innings, but not participated players, and otherwise like NFHS,ASA,etc.

Anyone think NCAA will ever allow CR?
Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
Anyone think NCAA will ever allow CR?
Whenever the CR is presented as a "speed up" rule, the NCAA will have no interest. The coaches simply don't appear to care about the pace of the game; if they did, there would be SOME effort to monitor the between innings delays.

If someone presented the CR as a way to increase game participation, it would have a chance, and support Title IX balancing efforts.
Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

I doubt NCAA will ever go with a CR. First of all, very few NCAA pitchers at the highest level are in the batting order. Secondly, they do not have time limits so there is not a need to speed up the game.

The competitiveness of the games will negate any specialty rules in that area, IMO.
Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3SPORT
I doubt NCAA will ever go with a CR. First of all, very few NCAA pitchers at the highest level are in the batting order. .
Yeah, but some of their catchers don't run very well.
Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In Indiana, its the leading organization - by far.
Guess you need to check local listings on this one. I am from Indiana and I know of no NSA leagues, a hear of a few tournaments. So I would say that ASA is the leader by far in my area....but again that might be dependant on location I am sure there are pockets of NSA around, I am just in the middle of an ASA pocket. So I would caution saying NSA is a leader-by far. Again I also do ASA state tournies so that is another reason why I know of the ASA events, you probably call NSA tournies so you feel that is all there is.

Does NSA have an Indiana website? ASA has two, one for Indiana umpires and another for participants.
Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
Whenever the CR is presented as a "speed up" rule, the NCAA will have no interest. The coaches simply don't appear to care about the pace of the game; if they did, there would be SOME effort to monitor the between innings delays.

If someone presented the CR as a way to increase game participation, it would have a chance, and support Title IX balancing efforts.
The CR has past being a speed-up and is now more a strategy. I would think coaches would like any flexibility they can get.
Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED
Guess you need to check local listings on this one. I am from Indiana and I know of no NSA leagues, a hear of a few tournaments. So I would say that ASA is the leader by far in my area....but again that might be dependant on location I am sure there are pockets of NSA around, I am just in the middle of an ASA pocket. So I would caution saying NSA is a leader-by far. Again I also do ASA state tournies so that is another reason why I know of the ASA events, you probably call NSA tournies so you feel that is all there is.

Does NSA have an Indiana website? ASA has two, one for Indiana umpires and another for participants.
Point taken Dave:

I should have clarified - Youth Fast pitch. Several tourneys each weekend. Mostly Northern half of the state. Some south of Indy.
Yes, we do have website. playindianansa.com

What are ASA sites? I'd like to visit.

Thanks
Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Here they are

Umpires:
http://www.inasablue.org/

State ASA Adult website:
http://www.indiana-asa.org/

JO website:
http://indianaasajo.com/
Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Dave,

Robbie is right about northern Indiana being predominantly NSA. I have two ASA tournaments that I have been invited to umpire this summer. One is the Men's C SP state tourney in Kokomo, and the other is a FP tourney in South Bend. Either of those is an hour and a half drive. If I wanted to work NSA, I could have tournaments every weekend either in Fort Wayne or in Warsaw, both being 30 minute drives, in either FP or SP.

At the ASA school in Fort Wayne this year, I was being recruited by another umpire who works NSA to register for that organization, but having him tell stories about how he's doing games at 3:00 in the morning at The Dome in Fort Wayne because they don't have enough umpires doesn't exactly appeal to me. Heck, my wife doesn't like having me umpire more than a couple of times a week, and I can only imagine what she would say if I was coming home at 4:00 in the morning from umpiring.