The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
It is indeed a slippery slope. I am suprised a man of your conviction on this subject did not want to fall down it.

Since you are truely not as dedicated to this philisophy as you once presented yourself to be...

I'll let you be. That is not very much conviction at all. In fact, you are very weak in your conviction about sunglasses and speaking to other people while wearing same.

Your rule is actually "when a coach yells at me, even when he has sunglasses on, I hurry up and take my sunglasses off so I dont appear to be an idiot."

I'm thinking "golf clap" on that one.
Actually when dealing with a coach I like to appear calm and collected when a coach comes out on me I make them walk accrossed the field to me. I also Take my sunglasses off upon the arrival of the coach in a calm collected mannor. Truely that is my rule ... not the mindless drivel that you spit out of your ever-running mind and somehow it eventually arrives on the screen. Im thinking...... "boos" for you or maybe just an "awkward silence" because you cant seem to wrap your minimally capable mind around the fact that not taking your sunglasses off when talking to a coach is seen as disrespectful and as te golden rule from kindergarden, all though Im not sure you got passed that point, states," do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

For all those who don't know ... Ed Hickox is the MAN

NFHS NCAA PONY ASA ISC USSSA
Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by argodad
I know I should keep my nose out of this little p***ing contest, but I think you just slid back into your Forum Jerk mode, Wade.
"Just slid back???" What are you talking about??? Isn't that normal "Wade Mode?"

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
How about civility as expected on this forum and sticking to the subject without personal attacks?

Through the last several posts, I've been thinking that who has to be respectful boils down to is who hires who and that the neutral, unemotional person has the presence of mind to be courteous.
Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

I'm jumping in on this one late, and I've more or less skimmed what everyone's said.

If your assignor says, "no sunglasses," then no sunglasses. It's stupid, but hey, they hold all the cards. Our org says PU in ASA SP has ALL calls at 3rd and home. I think it's stupid, but that's their call. Let's not debate that one, though.

If you have a discussion with a coach, I agree that glasses should come off, even if it's 115 degrees under the bright afternoon sun. I personally like to stand side-by-side with a coach when I'm talking with him/her, so I think that it's perfectly reasonable to say, "hey, coach, let's turn this way so we're not facing the sun." You're showing the coach that you're accommodating and not adversarial. At that point, now you've got the coach where you want him. If he wants to turn towards you and get in a shouting match, he'll have to do so with the sun in HIS eyes, not yours. This may deter him from doing so, but if he does, he may not last long before giving up. How long does a coach really want to argue when he's being blinded?

If I discuss things with a coach, I take my sunglasses off, even if I have the clear lenses in.

And let's tone it down, guys. We're starting to act like the coaches we're discussing.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.

Last edited by NCASAUmp; Thu Jun 05, 2008 at 10:37am.
Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
I'm jumping in on this one late, and I've more or less skimmed what everyone's said.

If your assignor says, "no sunglasses," then no sunglasses. It's stupid, but hey, they hold all the cards. Our org says PU in ASA SP has ALL calls at 3rd and home. I think it's stupid, but that's their call. Let's not debate that one, though.

If you have a discussion with a coach, I agree that glasses should come off, even if it's 115 degrees under the bright afternoon sun. I personally like to stand side-by-side with a coach when I'm talking with him/her, so I think that it's perfectly reasonable to say, "hey, coach, let's turn this way so we're not facing the sun." You're showing the coach that you're accommodating and not adversarial. At that point, now you've got the coach where you want him. If he wants to turn towards you and get in a shouting match, he'll have to do so with the sun in HIS eyes, not yours. This may deter him from doing so, but if he does, he may not last long before giving up. How long does a coach really want to argue when he's being blinded?

If I discuss things with a coach, I take my sunglasses off, even if I have the clear lenses in.

And let's tone it down, guys. We're starting to act like the coaches we're discussing.
I can do that... time for lunch anyhow

Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Wade discusses a call with the coach

Here is a picture of wade, showing himself to be open and approachable in a discussion of rule interpretation with a coach....

Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Here is a picture of wade, showing himself to be open and approachable in a discussion of rule interpretation with a coach....

Looks approachable. He's not pointing weapons at anyone.
Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcg NC2Ablu
Actually when dealing with a coach I like to appear calm and collected when a coach comes out on me I make them walk accrossed the field to me.

What kind of respect is given the coach by holding your ground and making him come to you? Seems like you are are talking out of both sides . . .

That being said . . . sunglasses should come off. . . and I let the coach come to my position.

Last edited by ntxblue; Thu Jun 05, 2008 at 12:30pm.
Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelVA2000
Looks approachable. He's not pointing weapons at anyone.
But we can't see the hands . . .
Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntxblue
But we can't see the hands . . .
thats because they're on the gun

Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbsbvb83
They sound like Transition lenses to me.
The only prescription glasses I own are Transitions, and at the last clinic I attended, the clinician said that these types of glasses would not be allowed at the state finals. It's always something new with the IHSA.
That is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard.
Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
That is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard.
Aw, c'mon, Mike... I don't buy that for a second. You do, after all, umpire a fair amount of AA games!
Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Aw, c'mon, Mike... I don't buy that for a second. You do, after all, umpire a fair amount of AA games!
But those folks are not the voices of authority for the sanctioning body.
Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Shhh, don't tell them!
Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
They sure as hell think they are!

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.