The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 07:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp
So, they would rather you be squinting, looking directly into the sun on a 110 degree day in Phoenix, rather than wear a good pair of sunglasses and actually be able to see?
I didnt say I agree but the assignor for the ACC SEC Big 12 and a few other conferences HATES them behind the plate.... gues its a good thing she doesnt have the PAC-10 for those people in ARIZ.

For all those who don't know ... Ed Hickox is the MAN

NFHS NCAA PONY ASA ISC USSSA
Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeump
I dont really know where this started or why taking your glasses off is a big deal at all really.

It's not like you are shaking someone's hand while sitting down and with a glove on.
Its one of those things that is invented to give those people who invent things purpose; without such, they would have no reason to exist.
Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
Its one of those things that is invented to give those people who invent things purpose; without such, they would have no reason to exist.
No there are good sociological reasons for it.... go back and read one of the previous posts on here and it is explained....

Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcg NC2Ablu
No there are good sociological reasons for it.... go back and read one of the previous posts on here and it is explained....
I read every post before posting.. and went back just now.

I dont see good sociological reasons for it.
Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Its a respect thing. The thinking behind it is that sociologically our society equates respect with eye contact and sunglasses limit the ability for that eye contact. The coach's dont respect us enough to remove theirs but we should have the sense to take ours off because we should display the respect that we are asking from the coaches
Quote:
I read every post before posting.. and went back just now.

I dont see good sociological reasons for it.
If we were somewhere where eye contact wasnt so part of our culture then okay but it is a HUGE part of our culture. No eyecontact means sneaking or lying in our culture so thats a SOCIOLOGICAL reason and a good one

Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
several college assignors i know will not allow you to wear sunglasses on the dish and if you have transistions they are fine for the bases but get a pair of regular lenses for the plate...
Guess I am lucky that I don't know any of those.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If we were somewhere where eye contact wasnt so part of our culture then okay but it is a HUGE part of our culture. No eyecontact means sneaking or lying in our culture so thats a SOCIOLOGICAL reason and a good one
We arent making eye contact, we are squinting and looking down and away as its 107F, in between trying to see through the coaches sunglasses which are reflecting more sunlight into our eyes.
Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

I think you two might be missing each other on this one. I think Wade is saying there is NO reason to "ban" an umpire from wearing sunglasses, KC is saying there is a good soci..... reason for taking the glasses off when talking to someone. I agree with both of you.... 1) you should be able to wear glasses, any glasses (within reason, look professional not flashy, or mirrored to shine light at someone, no rhinestones down the sides like my daughters...etc.) and 2) you should take them off and look someone in the eye if you are discussing something with them.
Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
We arent making eye contact, we are squinting and looking down and away as its 107F, in between trying to see through the coaches sunglasses which are reflecting more sunlight into our eyes.
So because the coach is an idoit your going to be one too... hmmm if the coach decides to dress up in a clown uniform are you going to wear a rainbow wig way to big shoes and a big red ruber nose to your next game... or do you already do that?

Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED
I think you two might be missing each other on this one. I think Wade is saying there is NO reason to "ban" an umpire from wearing sunglasses, KC is saying there is a good soci..... reason for taking the glasses off when talking to someone. I agree with both of you.... 1) you should be able to wear glasses, any glasses (within reason, look professional not flashy, or mirrored to shine light at someone, no rhinestones down the sides like my daughters...etc.) and 2) you should take them off and look someone in the eye if you are discussing something with them.
Thats exactly what I am saying ... maybe I didnt understand wade .. if he means ban glasses all together then ok I see that but if he means not taking them off when talking to a coach.... thats dumb p.s. the NCAA does not have a ban on wearing sunglasses that was speciffic to an assignor and only while on the plate

Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So because the coach is an idoit your going to be one too... hmmm if the coach decides to dress up in a clown uniform are you going to wear a rainbow wig way to big shoes and a big red ruber nose to your next game... or do you already do that?
I just want to make sure we are clear, before we go further.

ALL people who talk to people while wearing sunglasses are idiots?

That is your opinion, correct?
Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I just want to make sure we are clear, before we go further.

ALL people who talk to people while wearing sunglasses are idiots?

That is your opinion, correct?
Thats a slippery slope ... Im talking about a coach talking/yelling at an umpire with sunglasses on is disrespectfull which thus makes him an idiot so if you are going to do the same then the equation would fit the bill.... don't be rediculous and draw conclusions or try to back me into a corner. I have said what I mean and pretty clearly I cant help if you want to attack me because you are wrong

Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

i for one will disagree ... keeping on one's sunglasses (or not) really has nothing to do with respect - its just not taking sunglasses off. some things are so overanalyzed ...

having said that - I DO take my shades off when speaking to a coach because as an official thats what I was taught to do. but if I walk up to somone on the street I'm not going to ...

Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thats a slippery slope ... Im talking about a coach talking/yelling at an umpire with sunglasses on is disrespectfull which thus makes him an idiot so if you are going to do the same then the equation would fit the bill.... don't be rediculous and draw conclusions or try to back me into a corner. I have said what I mean and pretty clearly I cant help if you want to attack me because you are wrong
It is indeed a slippery slope. I am suprised a man of your conviction on this subject did not want to fall down it.

Since you are truely not as dedicated to this philisophy as you once presented yourself to be...

I'll let you be. That is not very much conviction at all. In fact, you are very weak in your conviction about sunglasses and speaking to other people while wearing same.

Your rule is actually "when a coach yells at me, even when he has sunglasses on, I hurry up and take my sunglasses off so I dont appear to be an idiot."

I'm thinking "golf clap" on that one.
Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
It is indeed a slippery slope. I am suprised a man of your conviction on this subject did not want to fall down it.

Since you are truely not as dedicated to this philisophy as you once presented yourself to be...

I'll let you be. That is not very much conviction at all. In fact, you are very weak in your conviction about sunglasses and speaking to other people while wearing same.

Your rule is actually "when a coach yells at me, even when he has sunglasses on, I hurry up and take my sunglasses off so I dont appear to be an idiot."

I'm thinking "golf clap" on that one.
I know I should keep my nose out of this little p***ing contest, but I think you just slid back into your Forum Jerk mode, Wade.