The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 13, 2008, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Ball hit offensive player

I didn't want to hijack the ball caught by offensive player thread, but had a similar situation happen to me last night...

ASA, bases loaded, ball hit and rolled down the third base line (literally). R1 started to advance towards home but retreated back to the base and placed his foot on the edge of the base right before the ball hit him in the foot (the ball was rolling fast enough that the R1 only took 1 step before retreating). F5 was playing in the grass off of 3rd and was right behind the base when the ball hit the runner. In my judgement, there was no intent to interfere with the ball, and had the ball not hit the runner, it would've hit the edge of the base and been a fair ball.

I ruled a dead ball and placed the runner on 1st which advanced all the other runners scoring a run per 8-1-E-6 as the third baseman would've had a play and an oportunity (if not multiple opportunities) to make an out. I've been debating all day if this was the right call as R1 was forced...does he lose the base protection? I don't believe so as the rules only detail that a runner can be out on a tag if forced...nothing about being hit by the ball. I also read the offensive player caught the ball thread and was wondering if this would be a DMR and should've been called out...but again, the runner did not attempt to interfere and was in contact with the base when hit.

Thanks....
Old Tue May 13, 2008, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Why did the runner retreat? That's an awfully strange thing to do on an infield single. If it hadn't hit him and the third baseman knew what he was doing, he'd have run into a triple play. So I'm thinking he may have had more intent than you think.
________
Web Shows

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 06:11pm.
Old Tue May 13, 2008, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump
Why did the runner retreat? That's an awfully strange thing to do on an infield single. If it hadn't hit him and the third baseman knew what he was doing, he'd have run into a triple play. So I'm thinking he may have had more intent than you think.
I agree it is a strange thing to do, but the call was correct. I also agree that the runner may have been a bit more deceptive than believed.

However, if R1 continues home, there is no way the D gets 3. For that matter, even if he stays on the base, I doubt there is anyway the D gets 3.
Old Tue May 13, 2008, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

I agree the call was right by book, but geez. Awarding the offense for that kind of play seems odd. I mean R1 does that and we let him come home for free? wierd