View Single Post
Old Tue May 13, 2008, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Ball hit offensive player

I didn't want to hijack the ball caught by offensive player thread, but had a similar situation happen to me last night...

ASA, bases loaded, ball hit and rolled down the third base line (literally). R1 started to advance towards home but retreated back to the base and placed his foot on the edge of the base right before the ball hit him in the foot (the ball was rolling fast enough that the R1 only took 1 step before retreating). F5 was playing in the grass off of 3rd and was right behind the base when the ball hit the runner. In my judgement, there was no intent to interfere with the ball, and had the ball not hit the runner, it would've hit the edge of the base and been a fair ball.

I ruled a dead ball and placed the runner on 1st which advanced all the other runners scoring a run per 8-1-E-6 as the third baseman would've had a play and an oportunity (if not multiple opportunities) to make an out. I've been debating all day if this was the right call as R1 was forced...does he lose the base protection? I don't believe so as the rules only detail that a runner can be out on a tag if forced...nothing about being hit by the ball. I also read the offensive player caught the ball thread and was wondering if this would be a DMR and should've been called out...but again, the runner did not attempt to interfere and was in contact with the base when hit.

Thanks....