The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 13, 2008, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Blocked Ball vs. Nothing

Is the on-deck batter considered to be "not engaged in the game?" Here's the sitch...

ASA SP - Visiting team at bat. R1 on 2B. B2 hits a line drive to F8 who fields it cleanly off the bounce and rockets it to F5. The throw is off, and R1 sees this, so he heads home. However, the poorly thrown ball strikes the on-deck batter in the foot, who had no time to react quickly enough to get out of the way. F1, who was covering on the foul line halfway between 3B and HP, picks up the ball and throws to F2 for a close play at HP, but the runner beat it by a split second.

The on-deck batter was in the circle and had no chance of getting out of the way of the errant throw. In fact, when the ball struck his foot, the ball popped up and towards F1, who fielded it cleanly and threw it to F2. If the ball hadn't have hit the on-deck batter, the defense would have had zero chance of making any play on the runner. If anything, the on-deck batter helped the defense.

My gut is that the on-deck batter is where he's supposed to be, even though he's not part of a play. Similar to an errant throw pegging a coach. Since the contact did not hinder the defense (as I said, it helped), I ruled no INT, live ball.

Was I on crack?

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue May 13, 2008, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

If you felt that the ODB did not interfere with a defensive player's chance to make an out, which you indicate you did, then you made the correct call.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue May 13, 2008, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

How about this situation...

10U Rec (Dixie Youth rules, but I'd like to hear the ASA ruling): bases loaded, batter hits ball past F3. By the time F9 tracks it down and throws it in, R1, R2 and R3 have scored, and the batter is rounding third. F2 is out in front of the plate and misses the ball, (at which point the coach sends the BR) which then rolls past the 3rd base line and between the legs of R3 just as F2 could pick it up, but can't since R3 is in the way.

INT or in the park grand slam?
Old Tue May 13, 2008, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferMC
How about this situation...

10U Rec (Dixie Youth rules, but I'd like to hear the ASA ruling): bases loaded, batter hits ball past F3. By the time F9 tracks it down and throws it in, R1, R2 and R3 have scored, and the batter is rounding third. F2 is out in front of the plate and misses the ball, (at which point the coach sends the BR) which then rolls past the 3rd base line and between the legs of R3 just as F2 could pick it up, but can't since R3 is in the way.

INT or in the park grand slam?
INT. 8-7-P. 3 runs score, but the BR (now R4) is out.

Oh, that's ASA, btw.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.

Last edited by NCASAUmp; Tue May 13, 2008 at 03:16pm. Reason: Clarified that I was referring to an ASA rule
Old Tue May 13, 2008, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
Is the on-deck batter considered to be "not engaged in the game?" Here's the sitch...

ASA SP - Visiting team at bat. R1 on 2B. B2 hits a line drive to F8 who fields it cleanly off the bounce and rockets it to F5. The throw is off, and R1 sees this, so he heads home. However, the poorly thrown ball strikes the on-deck batter in the foot, who had no time to react quickly enough to get out of the way. F1, who was covering on the foul line halfway between 3B and HP, picks up the ball and throws to F2 for a close play at HP, but the runner beat it by a split second.

The on-deck batter was in the circle and had no chance of getting out of the way of the errant throw. In fact, when the ball struck his foot, the ball popped up and towards F1, who fielded it cleanly and threw it to F2. If the ball hadn't have hit the on-deck batter, the defense would have had zero chance of making any play on the runner. If anything, the on-deck batter helped the defense.

My gut is that the on-deck batter is where he's supposed to be, even though he's not part of a play. Similar to an errant throw pegging a coach. Since the contact did not hinder the defense (as I said, it helped), I ruled no INT, live ball.

Was I on crack?
To start, the ODB has no place "where he's supposed to be" on the field other than on his dugout's side of the plate. The ODB is required to vacate any area the defense needs to make a play and/or avoid interferring with a live ball.

However, since the contact did not keep the defense from making a play, there is no INT. I would have to see this throw and the actual reaction by the ODB. I don't have a problem with your call, or lack of one. Worst case scenario would be a blocked ball and runners returned to the time of contact of the ball with the ODB.