The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 12, 2008, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

ASA BU SP mechanics question

There's one section in the manual that has had me baffled for a while now on page 216 (SP BU, 2 ump system):

Quote:
When there is a play at home plate and the throw to home plate is cut off with a subsequent play at third, they are responsible for the second play in the infield, no matter at what base the play is made.
In every clinic I've been to, I've always been told that BU has 1st and 2nd, and takes the trailing runner to 3rd. That's it. Are these clinics wrong/incomplete? If PU calls a play at HP, then calls the subsequent play at 3B, would they get dinged?

I'd hate to incorporate this into how our local umpires call, as this is not what we've been told, and it would only create confusion between players and our crew. However, if I intend to move up, I want to do it right.

(Jury duty gave me a lot of time to focus on nitpicking my mechanics today.)

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue May 13, 2008, 07:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
There's one section in the manual that has had me baffled for a while now on page 216 (SP BU, 2 ump system):

When there is a play at home plate and the throw to home plate is cut off with a subsequent play at third, they are responsible for the second play in the infield, no matter at what base the play is made.
Apparently Jury Duty also has you overthinking. The statement above IS correct for the Base Umpire as you have cited above.

If there is a play at home, the BU has a subsequent play at 3B, or any other base. If you read E under the PU directly above where you are reading this, you will see the exception noted for when the PU is not responsible for 3B plays in SP. Subparagraph 3 directly addresses your concern.

You are correct, BU has trailing runner. If there is a play at the plate, the runner going into 3B IS a trailing runner.
Old Tue May 13, 2008, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Apparently Jury Duty also has you overthinking. The statement above IS correct for the Base Umpire as you have cited above.

If there is a play at home, the BU has a subsequent play at 3B, or any other base. If you read E under the PU directly above where you are reading this, you will see the exception noted for when the PU is not responsible for 3B plays in SP. Subparagraph 3 directly addresses your concern.

You are correct, BU has trailing runner. If there is a play at the plate, the runner going into 3B IS a trailing runner.
This may seem silly, but no one ever clarified what a "trailing runner" was. Every umpire I've ever met has always interpreted it as, "the runner farthest from HP," which sounds correct. Think of it as "the caboose." However, doing a search on "trailing" in the rules PDF has me straightened out.

Good morning, my name's Captain Obvious. Nice t'meet ya.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue May 13, 2008, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
This may seem silly, but no one ever clarified what a "trailing runner" was. Every umpire I've ever met has always interpreted it as, "the runner farthest from HP," which sounds correct. Think of it as "the caboose." However, doing a search on "trailing" in the rules PDF has me straightened out.

Good morning, my name's Captain Obvious. Nice t'meet ya.
Look at it this way. If you are not leading the way, you must be trailing someone.