The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 13, 2011, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

First FP games

So I finally got my first FP assignment under my belt this morning. Had three 10U games (VERY recreational ball), and you could probably say it wasn't really FP (more like modified or slow pitch, as this league doesn't allow the pitcher to windmill).

It's a start, but I'm well on my way.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Sat Aug 13, 2011, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
YYYYEEEEAAAAHHH
Old Sun Aug 14, 2011, 04:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
So I finally got my first FP assignment under my belt this morning. Had three 10U games (VERY recreational ball), and you could probably say it wasn't really FP (more like modified or slow pitch, as this league doesn't allow the pitcher to windmill).

Good start......but you may not like those games..........

Good 14U and above......18U A and womens is a ton of fun.

However.......there are a ton of GLSBM's in the stands in 10U........

Joel
Old Wed Aug 17, 2011, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I should have mentioned that with 10U, you get many games experience for every game.......tons of stuff usually happens there that you might not ever see in older kids games........

I had 6 years coaching experience at that level..........(more if you count the 8U level).......

The kids for the most part are great........just keep your eye out on the coaches........lol

Joel
Old Thu Aug 18, 2011, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf Coast Blue View Post
I should have mentioned that with 10U, you get many games experience for every game.......tons of stuff usually happens there that you might not ever see in older kids games........

I had 6 years coaching experience at that level..........(more if you count the 8U level).......

The kids for the most part are great........just keep your eye out on the coaches........lol

Joel
This particular league is a very "instructional" league. For now, they don't want us to call IPs. In fact, they don't even allow the pitchers to windmill (yet).

I ain't worried about the coaches. They can bring it.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Wed Sep 28, 2011, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

First REAL FP games

Finally called my first real FP games tonight - all pitching rules in effect, can steal any base, d3k in effect, etc.

Didn't do too badly. Still need to develop some consistency on the outside corner, but did all right. Already recognize a few things I need to work on, but those will come with time. My partner paid me a generous compliment, "you came here and brought your A game." That really helps. I don't think I flinched even once, and I've got the bump on my hand to prove it.

And for the record, the Shock Doctor carbon flex cup works well. Very. Well.

Old Wed Sep 28, 2011, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Finally called my first real FP games tonight - all pitching rules in effect, can steal any base, d3k in effect, etc.

Didn't do too badly. Still need to develop some consistency on the outside corner, but did all right. Already recognize a few things I need to work on, but those will come with time. My partner paid me a generous compliment, "you came here and brought your A game." That really helps. I don't think I flinched even once, and I've got the bump on my hand to prove it.

And for the record, the Shock Doctor carbon flex cup works well. Very. Well.
Assuming the generally obvious (you are in the slot, same spot every batter), the only items left for a consistent outside corner are 1) GPA, meaning a good heel/toe putting you looking across the zone (your navel pointed to to the front opposite edge of the plate), 2) good judgement (I would think that is a given with your background in softball), and 3) repetitions.

You can fix #1, force #3; #2 is G-d given (or not).
Old Thu Sep 29, 2011, 07:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
Assuming the generally obvious (you are in the slot, same spot every batter), the only items left for a consistent outside corner are 1) GPA, meaning a good heel/toe putting you looking across the zone (your navel pointed to to the front opposite edge of the plate), 2) good judgement (I would think that is a given with your background in softball), and 3) repetitions.

You get good judgment from Gerry Davis?
Old Thu Sep 29, 2011, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
You get good judgment from Gerry Davis?
Old Thu Sep 29, 2011, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post

Yep, working the slot, right ear aligned with the inside edge of the plate, eyes at top of the zone, heel-toe with hips pointed at outside front corner of the plate. I'm tracking the pitch using my nose as the guide and not just eyeballing it.

It's repetitions that I need, just like slow pitch. Nothing more than an adjustment, and I'll make it.

Old Thu Sep 29, 2011, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

Dave,

when you track, do you pick the ball up from where the pitcher releases it? I assume you do.

keep at it and way to go
Old Thu Sep 29, 2011, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald View Post
Dave,

when you track, do you pick the ball up from where the pitcher releases it? I assume you do.

keep at it and way to go
As best I can, yes. I'll focus on that on Saturday morning (3 more games).

I'm really enjoying this. I'll always have a soft spot for slow pitch, but this is a good challenge for me. After 18 years of doing the same thing over and over again, it's exciting to have a new challenge in front of me. I'm getting almost "too comfortable" out there on the SP field.

Old Thu Sep 29, 2011, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

Another little trick you can try is to get as close to the F2 as you feel comfortable. A lot of guys are 'guessing' outside because they are not actually 'seeing' outside.

At the end of the month I will be down your way for a tourney, you should come out, or maybe I will stop by on the way down if the schedule allows.
Old Fri Sep 30, 2011, 06:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outathm View Post
Another little trick you can try is to get as close to the F2 as you feel comfortable. A lot of guys are 'guessing' outside because they are not actually 'seeing' outside.

At the end of the month I will be down your way for a tourney, you should come out, or maybe I will stop by on the way down if the schedule allows.
...but today IS the end of the month.

Oh, you mean October. Let me know where you'll be, and I'll make sure I come see you.

Old Sat Oct 01, 2011, 12:39am
Official Forum Member

Will do, I also think I still have your Cell # and will call closer to the time. I know 2moro I am at a wedding (wife's weekend), after that it is all grey, LOL