Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 07, 2008, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

Did I blow these calls?

ASA Rec. Ball

Call #1
Bases loaded, 2 outs. Batter hits slow roller toward F4, R3 is moveing on contact. F4 fields and tags R1, but not before R3 crosses the plate. Run scores, with 3rd out on tag. Coach and fans want run take off, because R1 was force to run, I stated it was a timing play since F4 choose to tag R1 instead of 2nd Base.

Call #2
Bases Empty, no outs. Batter hits high pop up on 3rd base side, F5 settles under it, straddling the foul line. The tips off F5's glove and drops into foul territory. Foul Ball. Coach wanted fair ball call since F5 had one foot in fair territory, I stated that in my judgement the ball was in foul territory when F5 touched it.

Did I get it right or blow it?

GaryB
Old Wed May 07, 2008, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

First, a general foreword...

When talking about runners on bases, use R1 as the lead runner, R2 as the runner behind him/her, etc. Think of it this way... In what order did they bat? R1 batted first, R2 batted second...

Call #1 - Yeah, I think you blew that one. R3 (the runner from 1B), was forced to advance as a result of the batter becoming a batter-runner. On a force play, the defense has the option of tagging the base or the runner. (Rules Supplement #21) If the third out is the result of a force play, no runs score. (ASA 5-B-1)

Call #2 - Nope, you were dead right on that one. On a fly ball to the outfield, it's where it lands if not touched. If it's touched before reaching the ground, it's where it's touched. Since it was touched by the fielder over foul territory before hitting the ground, it's a foul ball.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Wed May 07, 2008, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBarrentine
ASA Rec. Ball

Call #1
Bases loaded, 2 outs. Batter hits slow roller toward F4, R3 is moveing on contact. F4 fields and tags R1, but not before R3 crosses the plate. Run scores, with 3rd out on tag. Coach and fans want run take off, because R1 was force to run, I stated it was a timing play since F4 choose to tag R1 instead of 2nd Base.

Call #2
Bases Empty, no outs. Batter hits high pop up on 3rd base side, F5 settles under it, straddling the foul line. The tips off F5's glove and drops into foul territory. Foul Ball. Coach wanted fair ball call since F5 had one foot in fair territory, I stated that in my judgement the ball was in foul territory when F5 touched it.

Did I get it right or blow it?

GaryB
R1 was a force as long as the tag occurred prior to her having attained 2nd, which I am assuming it did. Therefore, no runs can count.

Fair or foul has nothing to do with where the fielder is, nor where it drops after having been touched. You are correct in your ruling that it only matters where it was first touched. If, in your judgement that was in foul territory, then it would be a foul.

You will frequently find that coaches think it matters where the fielder is standing, sometimes in higher levels of ball. I believe there was a thread recently where we were discussing just that.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed May 07, 2008, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
First, a general foreword...

When talking about runners on bases, use R1 as the lead runner, R2 as the runner behind him/her, etc. Think of it this way... In what order did they bat? R1 batted first, R2 batted second...

Call #1 - Yeah, I think you blew that one. R3 (the runner from 1B), was forced to advance as a result of the batter becoming a batter-runner. If the third out is the result of a force play, no runs score.

Call #2 - Nope, you were dead right on that one. On a fly ball to the outfield, it's where it lands if not touched. If it's touched before reaching the ground, it's where it's touched. Since it was touched by the fielder over foul territory before hitting the ground, it's a foul ball.
D'oh. You must have been posting while I was still typing. I had two interruptions while I was typing my answer. (I am, after all, at work.)

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed May 07, 2008, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
D'oh. You must have been posting while I was still typing. I had two interruptions while I was typing my answer. (I am, after all, at work.)
Part of an umpire's job is to hustle.

I'm at work, too, but it's slow today. The school I'm at today doesn't need too much help with their computers, it seems.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.