The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 03, 2008, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Batter's box

Baseball is fairly specific that both feet must be completely within the box before the pitch.

I looked through my 2004 FED books last night and couldn't find anything? Is it defined anywhere specifically?

Rita
Old Sat May 03, 2008, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

It's not really spelled out in the Rule Book, aside from the requirements that say the batter must be "within the box".

There are, however, three plays in the Case Book that fully describe what constitutes being "in the box" (it's the same as OBR).

The Case Plays are 7.3.2 A, B & C.

(*Edited to add: Have you ever had one of those "DUH" moments? I just did, when I realized that I was on the SOFTBALL board and not the BASEBALL board. Oddly, the Case Plays in the FED baseball and softball books are nearly identical! Not only that, they are under the same play number- 7.3.2).

Last edited by BretMan; Sat May 03, 2008 at 03:47pm.
Old Sat May 03, 2008, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan
It's not really spelled out in the Rule Book, aside from the requirements that say the batter must be "within the box".

There are, however, three plays in the Case Book that fully describe what constitutes being "in the box" (it's the same as OBR).

The Case Plays are 7.3.2 A, B & C.

(*Edited to add: Have you ever had one of those "DUH" moments? I just did, when I realized that I was on the SOFTBALL board and not the BASEBALL board. Oddly, the Case Plays in the FED baseball and softball books are nearly identical! Not only that, they are under the same play number- 7.3.2).
Thank you! It's been a few years since I did HS softball.

I need this because I was told I didn't know what I was talking about yesterday while leading a mechanics clinic. Four senior umpires told me I was wrong (I am also a senior umpire.) when I said the batter needed to stay in the box before the pitch.

Rita
Old Sat May 03, 2008, 06:45pm
Official Forum Member

Aside from the part about hitting the ball with a foot touching the plate, and the obvious dimensional differences, I believe that the rules covering the batter's box and the batter being in it are pretty much universal between all baseball and softball rule sets.

At least, I can't think of any major differences...
Old Sat May 03, 2008, 07:46pm
Official Forum Member

I am a little curious as to and in what context you said "the batter must "stay" in the box before the pitch" and were told you were incorrect by that many senior umpires? If only for my own curiosity. I quoted the word "stay" because that means the batter was already in the box and then might decide to leave the box. (and i dont know how to make bold letters )
Old Sat May 03, 2008, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunNewBlue
I am a little curious as to and in what context you said "the batter must "stay" in the box before the pitch" and were told you were incorrect by that many senior umpires? If only for my own curiosity. I quoted the word "stay" because that means the batter was already in the box and then might decide to leave the box. (and i dont know how to make bold letters )
I should have used the word "stand" maybe? In any case, we were discussing what to do with a batter whose toes were overhanging and nearing the plate.

Rita
Old Mon May 05, 2008, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

toes overhanging and nearing the plate.... hrmmm, me I got nothing, provided that the rest of the batters foot/feet are on the line. Is this correct?
Old Mon May 05, 2008, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
toes overhanging and nearing the plate.... hrmmm, me I got nothing, provided that the rest of the batters foot/feet are on the line. Is this correct?
Prior to the pitch? No, it is not. The batter's feet must be completely inside the batter's box prior to the pitch. On the line is "in the box".

However, since there is 6" between the edge of the plate and batter's box, if the batter's feet are anywhere near the plate, s/he is not in the box.
Old Mon May 05, 2008, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Prior to the pitch? No, it is not. The batter's feet must be completely inside the batter's box prior to the pitch. On the line is "in the box".

However, since there is 6" between the edge of the plate and batter's box, if the batter's feet are anywhere near the plate, s/he is not in the box.

ok call me confused or did you just contradict yourself? if the toes are "over hanging" (i would assume overhanging the line) that mean some of the foot is on the line ..and if on the line is in the box. how could my earlier observation be wrong?
I don't know what Rita's meaning of near the plate is, 1" or 2" or whatever..... take a pretty dang small foot to not be partly on the line and be near the plate. ( I dont want to get caught up on distances to the plate as they are irrelavant... the point of focus to my thinking is the other part of the foot and the line)
Old Mon May 05, 2008, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
ok call me confused or did you just contradict yourself? if the toes are "over hanging" (i would assume overhanging the line) that mean some of the foot is on the line ..and if on the line is in the box. how could my earlier observation be wrong?
I don't know what Rita's meaning of near the plate is, 1" or 2" or whatever..... take a pretty dang small foot to not be partly on the line and be near the plate. ( I dont want to get caught up on distances to the plate as they are irrelavant... the point of focus to my thinking is the other part of the foot and the line)
Let me qualify my comments first. I am speaking ASA, and to the best of my knowledge, just about every other rules set of which I am aware. If NFHS is different, they are probably the odd-man out.

COMPLETELY inside the batter's box. That means that no part of the foot can be touching the ground outside of the batter's box.
Old Mon May 05, 2008, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Completely inside the box means exactly that; COMPLETELY inside the box. All of both feet must be either on the line (which is part of the box) or inside; they cannot be even partially overhanging the line, beyond the line. If the foot is not a full 6" from the plate, the batter is not in the box, and you should not allow the pitcher to pitch.

"Time. Batter, get in the box."

Ten seconds, "Strike one. Batter, get in the box."

Right about then, a coach will request time; you grant it, and tell the coach the batter must be COMPETELY in the batters box, and no part of theat is within 6" of the plate. If you are lucky, they will get it. If not, you get to refuse to draw a line, and tell them that the batter better well know where the box, and about how far 6" is. Say "play ball", and give the batter 10 seconds again; do not allow the pitcher to pitch until and unless the batter is COMPLETELY in the batter's box. If that batter can't get, call strike two.

I have never (in 35 years of umpiring) had a batter not get it before strike three.
Old Mon May 05, 2008, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

10-4, gotcha..... clarification(s) assimilated.