Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 02, 2008, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Uh oh... here we go again.

Summit Pale Ale. Or Pedigree Bitter.
Old Fri May 02, 2008, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

He could BOO. At least then he could be OK for following directions of getting a batter in the box. The only way this would hurt him any more than taking the original out is if the other team says something while that batter is batting and then he is just back in the same situation he was in to start with.

Not a great option but it is an option for those who said he had none.
Old Fri May 02, 2008, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Here's what happened next......

Thanks for the replies. My evaluators (yes, I got evaluated on this game) said that I handled it well, but they would have used the ten second rule to call the batter out. (What would have happened last year, when we didn't have the ten second rule????)

So, after I called the batter out for not appearing, the teams switched sides. I am in my position, back to the visitor's dugout, watching the home team get done with their short huddle, when I notice only 4 players taking their defensive positions (pitcher, catcher, 1st and 3rd). I turn to HC and ask him, "Where are the rest of the players?". He responds, "They don't want to take the field!!!" I tell him, "You have one minute coach." and I start counting. After about 30 seconds, I tell him, "Let's go, coach!" and he says, "Heck, just call it." I grinned, walked behind home plate and announced, "Ball game."

Both evaluators told me they had never seen anything like that before. I guess I get to talk about my game situation at the next meeting.

NFHS
USSSA
Old Fri May 02, 2008, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM FP Ump
Thanks for the replies. My evaluators (yes, I got evaluated on this game) said that I handled it well, but they would have used the ten second rule to call the batter out. (What would have happened last year, when we didn't have the ten second rule????)

So, after I called the batter out for not appearing, the teams switched sides. I am in my position, back to the visitor's dugout, watching the home team get done with their short huddle, when I notice only 4 players taking their defensive positions (pitcher, catcher, 1st and 3rd). I turn to HC and ask him, "Where are the rest of the players?". He responds, "They don't want to take the field!!!" I tell him, "You have one minute coach." and I start counting. After about 30 seconds, I tell him, "Let's go, coach!" and he says, "Heck, just call it." I grinned, walked behind home plate and announced, "Ball game."

Both evaluators told me they had never seen anything like that before. I guess I get to talk about my game situation at the next meeting.
Wow... Talk about mutiny! Did he take them out back and shoot 'em?

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Fri May 02, 2008, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

For the coach to allow (yes, allow - he is the adult here) the team to get into this position probably means he does not have the wherewithall to do now what needs doing.

Every member of the mutiny is off the team for whatever is left of the season. Bring up any players from the B squad or 9th grade or Jr Hi teams that want to play JV. Or, disband the JV team.
Old Fri May 02, 2008, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

PS: Any way you can find out what happened after with this team? I surely hope they did not just show up in 2 days at their next game with the same roster...
Old Fri May 02, 2008, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
And that is incentive.....how????

Now if you had said Sierra Nevada Pale Ale time or something along those lines, you would have had my attention.
I lean more toward the beers Samual Adams, (Well Rounded; Clean Fruit Finish; Great Everyday Beer!) and Chimay, (Dry yet Lightly Sweet; Richly Flavored; Herbal; Strong Alcohol; Fantastic Head! Powerful Ale!)
Old Fri May 02, 2008, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
The OP had mentioned that the coach had already used up his subs and couldn't sub the girl out. The player, for whatever reason, had tied the hands of the coach.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. If she refuses to bat at that moment, what's a coach to do? He can't force her to bat. He can boot her off the team after that game, but in those 30 or so seconds it takes to call those 3 strikes, there's nothing he can do.

In this scenario, I think things were handled appropriately.
The coach can go shorthanded. There doesn't need to be a reason to go shorthanded as long as it isn't an ejection. Of course, he loses the player in the field, but it is either that or go home.
Old Fri May 02, 2008, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM FP Ump
"Heck, just call it." I grinned, walked behind home plate and announced, "Ball game."
Just for fun, I have to ask this question. Why did you do that?

I would just wave my partner in, go to opposing coach and tell him the game was forfeited and sign anything the team needed signed (scorebook) and exit the field.
Old Fri May 02, 2008, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know what happened to the HC of this JV team, but I know the HC of the V team and I know he will rip into the HC, and then the players. Haven't heard anything yet.

IRISH, the gate to the exit of the field was over by the home team's dugout, so I (not on purpose, but sort of by accident) stopped behind the plate to call the game.

NFHS
USSSA
Old Fri May 02, 2008, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
IRISH, the gate to the exit of the field was over by the home team's dugout, so I (not on purpose, but sort of by accident) stopped behind the plate to call the game.
Well, actually, I was working on what is somewhat of a myth among coaches and players that there is some magic in the words, "ball game".

I've heard arguments from "the umpire said 'ball game' so it is over" to "the game isn't over because the umpire never said 'ball game' ".
Old Tue May 06, 2008, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Great post and very thought provoking. I have a question: For those who took an out and continued, would you guys just take another out and continue if her spot in the lineup came up again?
Old Tue May 06, 2008, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mid-Mich. Blue
Great post and very thought provoking. I have a question: For those who took an out and continued, would you guys just take another out and continue if her spot in the lineup came up again?
That depends... did she stay in the dugout again, or did she come to bat like she's supposed to?
Old Tue May 06, 2008, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mid-Mich. Blue
It would depend on why she's out. If the coach pulled her from the game and went shorthanded, then yes. If I called 3 strikes for not taking a stance in the batter's box, then it would depend on what she did the next time she came up. If she comes up to bat, she bats. If not, she's out again.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.