The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 29, 2008, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

did i do the right thing?

Well i've done it now.... told my boss "I aint doing it" and it all started with a phone call from a "mommy".
last thursday im working the Pony rule based recreation league in a nearby town and its a nice little 12u game. everything goes fine, i mean its not 12u gold teams but both teams work hard and game is uneventful. except ..... for this one daddy who keeps hollering from the backstop "you have to get out of the box"... over and over and over and over and over and over and over.... so i finally turn... put my fingers to my lips in a "shush" manner and turn back around. not a peep for the rest of the game. So anyways i get a call from my boss that his boss got a call from a mommy that i wasnt making the batters move from the batters box on a passed ball (and let me tell you there were about 100 passed balls in this game) and on 99% of them no play was involved. So i tell my boss "of course i didnt tell them to vacate the box" thinking he was throwing me a trick question. long story short.... we argued, I asked for a rule cite that says I have to move them or call them out for not moving (yes, i know to call them out if they interfere).
I looked and looked and cannot find a rule reference that says this is part of my job and i personally feel that by making them move and if they get hurt I am actually more liable.
Question is..... did i do the right thing?
Old Tue Apr 29, 2008, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunNewBlue
Well i've done it now.... told my boss "I aint doing it" and it all started with a phone call from a "mommy".
last thursday im working the Pony rule based recreation league in a nearby town and its a nice little 12u game. everything goes fine, i mean its not 12u gold teams but both teams work hard and game is uneventful. except ..... for this one daddy who keeps hollering from the backstop "you have to get out of the box"... over and over and over and over and over and over and over.... so i finally turn... put my fingers to my lips in a "shush" manner and turn back around. not a peep for the rest of the game. So anyways i get a call from my boss that his boss got a call from a mommy that i wasnt making the batters move from the batters box on a passed ball (and let me tell you there were about 100 passed balls in this game) and on 99% of them no play was involved. So i tell my boss "of course i didnt tell them to vacate the box" thinking he was throwing me a trick question. long story short.... we argued, I asked for a rule cite that says I have to move them or call them out for not moving (yes, i know to call them out if they interfere).
I looked and looked and cannot find a rule reference that says this is part of my job and i personally feel that by making them move and if they get hurt I am actually more liable.
Question is..... did i do the right thing?
Find a "boss" who knows the rules.

Bob
Old Tue Apr 29, 2008, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

I'd ask for it in writing, just as a CYA measure. If we start telling players what they "have to do," then we can potentially become liable when they incorrectly do what we say, especially at the 12U level. I typically only tell players what they "can't" do (such as the recreational catcher playing in their first game - ever - who loves to stand on the plate like a statue).

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue Apr 29, 2008, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Well ask your boss, what happens when I make them move out of the box and then there is a F2 that throws down to 3rd to get that runner that is leading off THEN I caused the Batter INT, if she would have stayed in the box she would have been fine but I MADE her move out of the box and then she got hit with the throw and I had INT on her......ask him how that would go over????

Again I think #1 it is the coaches job to coach, BUT with that being said I will say "look out batter, look out batter..." until they move if there is a play developing at the plate (I am more worried about safety, Batter getting slid into, than preventing INT) BUT that is only if there is a play at the plate, if it is a 3 step off 3rd and retreat play I will say nothing, just like you did.
Old Tue Apr 29, 2008, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Has "boss" ever umpired? Or is "boss" just a league rep type person?

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Apr 29, 2008, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
Has "boss" ever umpired? Or is "boss" just a league rep type person?
Or maybe the "boss" is just......................mommy-whipped!