The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 15, 2003, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

Guys,

Like Curly in City Slickers, if you could distill last season (it still hurts to say LAST season now that football is over for this year) into one lesson, what is the one thing that will forever change the way that you officiate football going forward?
Old Mon Dec 15, 2003, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

First of all - this is the best question ever!

I learned that with an inexperienced crew, you can't do everything for them. I had a crew that needed a lot of work, and I was thrust into being the leader (I was not ready for that yet). The field is too big, and there is too much going on to try and officiate the whole thing at once.

Also - I learned that I would gladly sacrifice 90% of my game fee for a competent chain crew and clock crew!!
Old Mon Dec 15, 2003, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

You don't know bad chains until you are at the local little league game, and you get either 72 year old grandpa, or his youngest grandson, who can't even reach the numbers to change the down without tipping the marker!

In a small town, removing people from volunteer positions is difficult because of the "feelings" involved.

However, the "one thing" that makes or breaks your game is anything that takes away your control of the game.

Be it unruly fans, bad clock, or grandpa on the chains. Be polite, be stearn, maintain control of the contest, the field, and the stadium.

That means not letting coaches go ballistic either. Our games are held at the local high school field. And as such, our players are student/athletes. Coaches should be held to the highest standard. They should be teaching, by example, the rules of sportsmanship. And if the coach can not do that, then it is our job as officials, to teach the kids what happens when you misbehave.

Old Tue Dec 16, 2003, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

While standing there during player introductions, visualize what the kickoff will look like (from your position) in your mind, then visualize what the first scrimmage play will look like, then visualize what the first scrimmage kick will look like, and then visualize what the first try or FG will look like.

I had found that I was really not zeroed into everything until about three plays into the game (kind of like driving home from work and not really remembering the ride once you pulled into the driveway) and focusing myself before we got underway went a long way toward me being sharp from the coin toss forward.

There's plenty of time to talk other times. I take that time now to make myself mentally ready.
Old Tue Dec 16, 2003, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

"kind of like driving home from work and not really remembering the ride once you pulled into the driveway"

And I though I was losing my mind. Thank God I'm not the only one this happens to. It's kind of scary huh.
Old Tue Dec 16, 2003, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Not only that, but have you ever taken the route that you take to and from work, only someone else was driving? You see all these things that you never knew were there!

Oh the humanity!
Old Tue Dec 16, 2003, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

That I need to develop a thicker skin with coaches and players. Basically, increasing my professionalism on the field. I also saw a big improvement because of my off season program.

I just got through reading books by both Chad Brown and Jerry Markbreit, and I came away with the stark realization that I get too tied up in the extra curricular stuff.

So for next season, more off season work and less reaction to the verbal garbage.
Strange women, lying in ponds, distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. If I went around claiming I was an emperor just because some moistened bink lobbed a scimitar at me, they would put me away.
-Monty Python-
Old Tue Dec 16, 2003, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

I need to lose weight before next season.
I found myself being too slow for my taste
in getting to where I should be.
I guess after 35 years- if I want to continue
and do the job I feel needs to be done-
I need to be in better shape !
I enjoy officiating too much to let
just blow it off !
Old Tue Dec 16, 2003, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JMN
Guys,

Like Curly in City Slickers, if you could distill last season (it still hurts to say LAST season now that football is over for this year) into one lesson, what is the one thing that will forever change the way that you officiate football going forward?
A thorough pregame at every level and more tenacious approach when explaining a call or non-call.

Get to the gym on a regular basis.
Old Wed Dec 17, 2003, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Why do you explain non-calls?
Strange women, lying in ponds, distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. If I went around claiming I was an emperor just because some moistened bink lobbed a scimitar at me, they would put me away.
-Monty Python-
Old Wed Dec 17, 2003, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sleeper
Why do you explain non-calls?
at jr. high and other lower leagues I had some problems with another official calling as if it was varsity. One example is when he threw a flag on the 2nd string tight end, on my side of the field, for lining up in the neutral zone. ( I was going to talk to the lad after the play ) Another is when he consistently calls holding on "big gainers" when A.)the holding has no bearing on the play and/or B.) he is the only person in the stadium to see the holding. I have mentioned this to him at pregame, halftimes , and post game to no avail. I need to go deeper than subtle hints. One hurdle I will have is getting past the "I am around here longer than you syndrome".

Old Thu Dec 18, 2003, 02:00am
Official Forum Member

I think Sleeper(and I) were thinking you were talking about to the coaches.
Old Thu Dec 18, 2003, 07:43am
Official Forum Member

Yep, I was thinking about the coaches. I talk to the players the entire game and do as much preventive officiating that I can. I don't say much about calls to coaches unless they ask me a direct question.
-Monty Python-
Old Thu Dec 18, 2003, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

Stay on top of the trash talking and post whistle rough stuff.

I was doing a subvarsity game (Jr. High). The referee was one of those types that wanted to keep the game moving and we let a little bit of trash talking go early. Before the end of the game, we had three kids ejected and both coaches. I think its almost better to throw an early flag then let a game degrade to the point at which that one went.

Second, I let a fan rattle me. It was the game following the ejection-fest I mentioned earlier. Had a little bit of rough stuff after the play (reciever and DB had gone to ground blocking and the reciever pushed off after I broke them up). This fan with a deep blasting voice got in my head, when I tried to assess the penality, I started to walk the wrong way...made me look like an idiot. That fella rode me the rest of the game...
Old Thu Dec 18, 2003, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sloth
I started to walk the wrong way...made me look like an idiot.
That's why I have no interest in being an Umpire

But I do agree with you, you have to shut down the crap real early or else it will get worse. Good tip.