The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 14, 2008, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Help with mechanics

Runners, first and second, batter lines hit to left, I'm BU in C position. When ball leaves infield move into the infield so I'm inside the bases and I turn my attention to batter-runner and runner on first. I release runner going to third to the PU. Throw comes in from outfield, is cut off as runner stops on her way home and attempts to return to third. Whose call is it?

I was watching batter-runner and runner on first going to second in case of throw to second. PU said the call at third was my call. Is it? Do I watch the ball or the runners or try to do both?
Old Mon Apr 14, 2008, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

I am interested to see what the experts here have to say. But I know from my training is let the ball take you to the call. Yes by the book you release that runner to PU but you also have the back side of a run down, so I would say you have to try and do it all, that is why we get paid the big bucks . But seriously I would have my head on a swivel and attempt to watch BR and R2 but once I see the ball coming in and the imminant play at 3rd that is where my attention is going to be, R2 and BR can't be doing anything since R1 is hung up at 3rd so not much to watch(OBS possibly but there is no chance to advance) so let the ball take you to the play and the play is at 3rd. Again not sure if this is a rundown, but if it is I am pretty sure the call coming back into 3rd would be your call! Again interesting to see what others have to say.
Old Mon Apr 14, 2008, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh898
Runners, first and second, batter lines hit to left, I'm BU in C position. When ball leaves infield move into the infield so I'm inside the bases and I turn my attention to batter-runner and runner on first. I release runner going to third to the PU. Throw comes in from outfield, is cut off as runner stops on her way home and attempts to return to third. Whose call is it?

I was watching batter-runner and runner on first going to second in case of throw to second. PU said the call at third was my call. Is it? Do I watch the ball or the runners or try to do both?
It's the PU's call. And no, do not move over to bracket a possible run down. However, that does not mean you cannot lend your partner your eyes.

While it is nice to cover both ends of a run down, who is going to take any possible call at 1st or 2nd base on subsequent play after, or maybe even during the run down. Yes, I know it doesn't seem likely, but players don't always stay with the obvious play.
Old Mon Apr 14, 2008, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

Seems to me that you answered your own question....

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh898
...I turn my attention to batter-runner and runner on first. I release runner going to third to the PU.
Old Mon Apr 14, 2008, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Al
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
Seems to me that you answered your own question....

In this sit the BU has the responsibility for any plays at 1st and 2nd and should go to his holding position behind the circle between the two bases.

The PU is responsible for any play at 3rd or home-plate and should go to his holding position between 3rd and home-plate. ...Al
Old Mon Apr 14, 2008, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

I'll tell you what I do on this play.

When I come into the infield, I point at 3B (my back is probably turned to him runners and/or ball), letting PU know thats his call. I use this signal anytime I am expecting PU to take 3b. In this particular situation I would be very concerned with a play developing at 2B and making sure of base touching on my bases. PU has that runner at home/3B. I'll lend him my eyes once the ball is in play but I need him to be ready to take that call, depending on what the defense does.

If the throw goes to 3B and R1 is retreating, I'm expecting that to be his call, but I am watching that play. The base tag responsiblity is a moment in time call in your mind... after that, let the ball take you to the play and communicate.

Pointing to 3B is how I communicate that his base. If I move in on a run down or something, I will verbally let him know I'm taking over 3B.
Old Mon Apr 14, 2008, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Agree with the previous, but wanted to add:

We are releasing the lead runner to PU, not necessarily 3rd base. If our trail runner (R2 started on first) advances to third during the time we assume R1 advances to home, we have 3rd, because we have trail and BR.

I am assuming that Wade's "point" isn't all-inclusive.
Old Tue Apr 15, 2008, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve

We are releasing the lead runner to PU, not necessarily 3rd base. If our trail runner (R2 started on first) advances to third during the time we assume R1 advances to home, we have 3rd, because we have trail and BR.

I've found pretty much nothing is "all inclusive" when working the bases. So many situations develop - that's where being a student of the game and reading plays comes in handy.
Old Tue Apr 15, 2008, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

I agree with the other guys. Just wanted to add that you better see the ball or it might find you!
Old Tue Apr 15, 2008, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve

This is where it gets a little tricky and communication is necessary.

By strict interpretation of mechanics, PU has the lead runner at 3rd base. That lead runner can be changing with multiple runners on base.

Example: R1 on second, R2 on first, BR base hit. R1 scores easily, R2 attempts third. Technically, the call at 3rd on R2 (now the lead runner) belongs to PU. PU also has to watch the touch of home by R1. BU should have the BR all the way around.

I have worked with PU partners who will yell at me in this situation - "I got third!" If I don't hear that or am not able to sneak a quick peek to see where my partner is, I will prepare to take that call on R2 at third, while being aware if my partner get there late so we don't have a double call.

I expect the PU to be there, but I am ready to take the call if they are not.
Old Tue Apr 29, 2008, 01:40am
Official Forum Member

Cool Good comments for all....

In the grand scheme of things, feel out your partner with a good pregame discussing issues like multiple runners, when to go out, any known plays the teams beat to death..... and so on.

After all of that is said and done, ALWAYS have an odd number of umpires at every call!
Old Thu May 01, 2008, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

If I am PU, I call out, "I've got the lead, I've got the lead" as loud as I can and I now have the runner going from 2nd to 3rd and from 3rd to home. I move up the 3rd base line, about halfway to 3rd.

If I am BU and I hear my partner yell, "I've got the lead, I've got the lead", I point to 3rd on my way to my holding position (inside the baseline between 1st and 2nd, feet near the pitcher's circle) and follow the trail runners.

You do not have the throw to third, but, once you realize you don't have any action in your area, you need to find the ball. From where you should be positioned, you have a poor angle to call anything at 3rd.

NFHS
USSSA
Old Fri May 02, 2008, 04:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ump Steve
In the grand scheme of things, feel out your partner with a good pregame discussing issues like multiple runners, when to go out, any known plays the teams beat to death..... and so on.

After all of that is said and done, ALWAYS have an odd number of umpires at every call!
THere's nothing like a pregame with your partner to know what and what not he or she will not be doing during a game. This is especially important when you are working with a rook or novice umpire.