The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 14, 2008, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

I will work a tournament almost every weekend this summer. There is not a single one that doesn't schedule 3 man rotations (plate, bases, off). Typically 10 to 12, maybe 14 games (depends on whether you work semi's or finals or leave early on Sunday).

Note to jmaellis: you said that you drank a lot of water. You need to know that you also lose needed chemicals (sodium and potassium). Losing too much, especially potassium, can create major health issues by the end of the day. Those must be replaced.

Many recommend sports drinks; however it requires a gallon of a sports drink to supply the sodium and potassium that an 8 oz cup of V8 or tomato juice will provide. OJ and banannas are good potassium suppliers; try pretzels or other salty snack foods for sodium replacement.

Welcome to the ranks.

WMB
Old Mon Apr 14, 2008, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

I had 4 games (14/under) on Saturday. Two bases then two plates. We had the afternoon shift, our 1:45 game started at 2:00. We made up some time, but there were no real breaks as all four games went to the 1:20 time limit.

I'm suprisingly not sore. Could I have worked more games? Sure, I could and I have....but why? I agree with th eearlier comments that too many games results in less effective umpiring.

I also agree that it takes more than water to get through a tourney. Bananas and pretzels are excellent suggestions.
Old Mon Apr 14, 2008, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelVA2000
I feel your pain, I just completed ten tournament games this weekend. Flexeril (I misspelled it earlier) is prescription medication.
http://www.info-pharm.com/flexeril/flexerol.html
Geeeeeeeeeeeeezus. Some of you know that in order to live, much less umpire, I take a fair quantity of medications every day. I have taken Flexeril a handful of times in my life and it absolutely knocks me on my butt within five minutes. Heck, one time many moons ago I tweaked a back muscle. Doctor said ice for 20 minutes, then lay down with a heating pad after taking a Flexeril. Woke up 14 hours later with a second degree burn on back -- the towel had come off the heating pad.
Old Mon Apr 14, 2008, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for all the helpful information.

Surprisingly, I felt pretty good on Sunday morning. I was assigned four games for Sunday, but gave up the last one to an umpire that was between games and didn't want to just sit around until his final game started.

This was an 8U tournament, PU only. Coaches did not pitch. The kids were limited to one base on a steal and home plate was cold. 5 innings or 1.5 hours, whichever came first. All the games, except of the very last one, went to 1.5 hours. 15 minuts between games.

I think a lot of the fatigue was from trying to get down so low. I adjusted my stance a bit on Sunday and felt better. Of course the heat was a big factor. 90+ degrees yesterday (hotter on the field I'm sure). The temp. must have been a special arrangement just to make sure that I really want to be an umpire because we are back to our usual 70 degrees today.