The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

For the first time this year...

...I had to wear a jacket while working a high school game.

Game time temp was in the low 60s. Wind chill probably made it feel like high 50s. If I wanted to be subjected to these Artic conditions I'd move to Alaska or Seattle or somewhere.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Clary

Game time temp was in the low 60s. Wind chill probably made it feel like high 50s. If I wanted to be subjected to these Artic conditions I'd move to Alaska or Seattle or somewhere.
Sorry, man, but no pity here. I'm originally from Wisconsin, so 60s would be a heat wave for this time of year. Here in NC, it was in the low 60s tonight while I called ball. No jacket.

Just razzin' ya.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

HEY! That's about the temperature we begin to take the jackets OFF!

Case in point: Sunday the high temperature at beautiful Riverview Playfields in scenic south-west Seattle was a lovely 51.2 degrees, and the wind speed was averaging 7 to 10 mph. Softball was played, strikes were called, outs happened. Life was grand!
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 02:32am
Official Forum Member

I am surmising that Artic is Arctic, which it hasn't been, because we have gotten far more precipitation than usually encountered in the generally dryer arctic. Two weeks ago I literally had all four seasons in about 15 minutes -- fortunately while I was sitting in the car about 45 minutes before game time.
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Come on. Mid 50's last night. No jacket required.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
To wear a jacket or not to wear a jacket. Personal preference, kinda like how do you like your steak done? I can't believe how much crap I get if I don't order my steak medium, medium rare or rare. My personal choice is to not have my steak moooooooo at me. Dave
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck
To wear a jacket or not to wear a jacket. Personal preference, kinda like how do you like your steak done? I can't believe how much crap I get if I don't order my steak medium, medium rare or rare. My personal choice is to not have my steak moooooooo at me. Dave
yup, medium well for me too - just a TOUCH of pink, thank ya

jacket at 60 degrees? poor baby.....no hand warmer?
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
Anything past medium and you start losing flavor. Medium rare is the ticket.

Todays DH is going to have a game time temp in the low 40's.

Probably a jacket, sweatshirt, under armor and hand warmers.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I want my steak still mooing.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

I'm with you all. Had my FIRST game all year that i did NOT wear a jacket on Saturday....temp just starting to reach 60's and we went 2 of my 4 games in short sleeves, no jacket....it was 39 degrees for the 9am game so it got the underarmour and jacket treatment....but the 1 and 3 were sweet!!!
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue
Todays DH is going to have a game time temp in the low 40's.
You have a DH this time of year? I hope the games are timed, or you have a field with lights. Or both.

My first game was postponed due to rain/snow mix. Typical, as we try to start the HS season in early April. Usually a rash of postponed games / suspended games during the first couple of weeks.

I have a game today, tomorrow (the postponed one from Tuesday), and Friday. I expect today's game will be played (high supposed to reach 50, Mark, so I'm at least hopeful for high 40's at game time), but tomorrow's is dicey (70% chance of rain in the forecast, but it may arrive later in the evening...), and Friday's seems hopeless - rain turning to snow.

The steak hijack is certainly different from our usual OT stuff. I really, really don't like any steak cooked with the word "well" anywhere. Medium is overcooked as far as I'm concerned. In fact, I lament that you can't get a less than well done hamburger anymore (talking real restaurants, not Micky-D's and the like).

Many years ago, I was at a business meal where my colleague told the waitress to just "walk my steak through a warm room." Now that is rare!
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue
Anything past medium and you start losing flavor. Medium rare is the ticket.
Yes indeed. And a nice dry stout, like a Murphy's Irish Stout to drink along with it!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
You have a DH this time of year? I hope the games are timed, or you have a field with lights. Or both.
D3 - Macalaster at Augsburg. Had a DH last Saturday as well, Northland College at Crown.

Quote:
My first game was postponed due to rain/snow mix.
Ditto.

Quote:
...I lament that you can't get a less than well done hamburger anymore (talking real restaurants, not Micky-D's and the like).
That is a county health code regulation. Try Lion's Tap in Eden Prairie. You can get a MR burger there. They are the best around.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Why go so far? Take a trip to Virginia.
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Just a tad over rare for me. A couple years ago my partner and I had a barn-burner, 1-0 in 13 innings. Both pitchers now D-1. Afterwards, we retired to Outback. He had a 22 ounce frosty mug. I had a 12 oz. RARE prime rib. I thought he was gonna blow chunks b4 I was done.

By the way, out my local Outback I can still get a rare hamburger. Maybe it's because ya can, maybe it's because the manager is a close friend. Anyway, ya might try it...