The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 04, 2008, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

No Answer for the Coach!

Only "That's the ruling"

HS varsity game last night, two very weak teams. In fact, the home coach told me at the start of the 7th inning, that was the first time they had been in the 7th in two years! Yes, it was one of those games where you have to really focus on your professionalism, and not allow your mechanics to get sloppy.

I had the plate. Here is a play which occured. R1 @ 1B, visiting coach at 3B box yells ".....DON'T LEAVE EARLY!" Here comes the pitch, a rare strike right down the middle, and my base guy is yelling "Dead Ball, Runner out, off early" (guess she didn't listen to the coach, and was off way early). The batter hit a liner to F6 who caught the ball and threw to 1B for the apparent DP. Batter starts for the dugout. As I call her back, the defenseive coach asks if he gets "his choice of the play, or penalty." I explain that the ball was dead, therefore there could be no hit, or ball in play. He understood and I believe knew that.

Between innings, he came and asked my "why wouldn't that be a delayed dead ball?" He then tells me that they had never made a double play!

I have been wondering all night now why indeed is leaving early on a pitch not a delayed dead ball, such as a balk in MLB, or an IP in softball? The offended team could have a chance at a second out in that situation.

I have come up with a couple of reasons, but it still boils down to "thats the way it is." So, anyone have an idea why leaving early on a pitch IS a DB versus a DDB?
Old Fri Apr 04, 2008, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

I'd surmise killing the play is a quick way for us umpires to clean up the mess.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Fri Apr 04, 2008, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

My thoughts on this is because the infraction happened before the pitch (albeit just before.) Just like on an IP; If it is going to the glove multiple times before release it is a DB IP where a leap or crowhop during the pitch is a DDB IP.
Old Fri Apr 04, 2008, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Balk, IP, obstruction, catcher's interference, umpire's interference... NONE of these are committed by the offense. They are all delayed dead balls.

The only infraction by the offense I could think of that was a "delayed dead ball" is a runner being assisted while a pop fly is in the air. Then the dead ball is only delayed until the fly ball comes down.

Okay, after double checking the NFHS rule book, I realized removing the helmet is DDB too.
Old Fri Apr 04, 2008, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Ump
Balk, IP, obstruction, catcher's interference, umpire's interference... NONE of these are committed by the offense. They are all delayed dead balls.

The only infraction by the offense I could think of that was a "delayed dead ball" is a runner being assisted while a pop fly is in the air. Then the dead ball is only delayed until the fly ball comes down.

Okay, after double checking the NFHS rule book, I realized removing the helmet is DDB too.
What's a balk and catcher's interference? I thought this was a softball board.