The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 03, 2008, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Ejections

not being up on HS softball rules, I thought I'd come to the experts.
Can an umpire eject a spectator? No need to get into the reasons for the ejection or the fact this particular umpire deserved the complaints he was receiving (due to his abominable treatment of a player), just wondering what rule, if any, allows him to tell an upset parent to take a hike.
Old Thu Apr 03, 2008, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
No rule exists. Spectators are policed by game management. However, I've known a few umpires who have felt they have the authority to do so. The fan leaves and the game continues.

Once, I had some HS males verbally harassing the visitors right fielder. Between innings, I told both coaches what was going on with the boys. Both coaches basically looked at each other, said lets go and started walking out towards the boys. The knew what was coming and took off.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Thu Apr 03, 2008, 02:04pm
GrumpUmp

At the pre-game the PU should be told who the administrator is. This is the person responsible for handling unruly fans. I have never done a HS game under Fed rules where there wasn't an administrator. Perhaps others here have done games without an administrator and can speak to what the umpire(s) should do if an ejection is warranted.
Old Thu Apr 03, 2008, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L
Can an umpire eject a spectator? No need to get into the reasons for the ejection or the fact this particular umpire deserved the complaints he was receiving (due to his abominable treatment of a player), just wondering what rule, if any, allows him to tell an upset parent to take a hike.
The home team school admin is responsible. However, if a fan is disrupting the game, the umpire can stop the game and not allow it to proceed until the fan is dealt with.
Old Thu Apr 03, 2008, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L
Ejections are for players and coaches so you cannot eject. What you can do is hold the home team responsible for any fans actions. if you deem that the home team is not living up to that responsibility, if the home team is getting unfair advantage by the fan's activities (harassing the D for instance), you can declare that they are violating the UC rule.
Old Thu Apr 03, 2008, 09:24pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interested Ump
Ejections are for players and coaches so you cannot eject. What you can do is hold the home team responsible for any fans actions. if you deem that the home team is not living up to that responsibility, if the home team is getting unfair advantage by the fan's activities (harassing the D for instance), you can declare that they are violating the UC rule.
If HT can't removew that fan and it bothers HT, that's their problem.

Old Fri Apr 04, 2008, 12:43am
Official Forum Member

No need to do that, if the coach cant control his peeps through a TD or whatever he has to do, I'll find a new coach who can.