Thread: Rookies
View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 07, 2002, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

That time of the year now and many rookies starting to call their first games. I worked with one this week which I am sure in time will become a good ump seemed to have pretty good knowledge of rules and the game but mechanics and timing was not there yet. Once at the BU close banger play at 1st he had the hammer up 15' before the ball got to F3 on another DP he just stood there with the hammer up and no verbal for both outs. Myself not being that long ago when I was in the same shoes (4yrs) and will be there again this year starting fast pitch would just try to go over the basics and try to remind the rook to take his time and try not to over think

This also reminded me of something that happen long, long time ago when I was playing little league and we had an ump that would call out Strike or Ball 20' before the ball got to the plate. Didnt know it then but now I bet this guy was a rookie too.

Anyway for you vet guys any good advice you want to gave when working with rookies in an actual game that you think should be discussed with rookies and also in trying to handle the game and the rookie at the same time a game is going on

Have a good one

Don