Thread: Rookies
View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 07, 2002, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Don.......Next week starts my Associations 17th Annual Umpires Tournament........

Our Association uses this as a training tool for New Umpires.......it is a great way to get some games in before the regular season starts...........we have 40 some odd teams registered from 10U through 18U.........we limit the number of teams to be able to get the tournament done in a reasonable amount of time..........AND because we umpires all donate our time for the tournament......

It is really a win/win for all involved..........the Coaches get to look at their teams before League ball starts and get to play a few games (reduced tournament fee) and the Veterans all work with the rookies to get them ready for the regular season.......and we raise some early season funds for one of the Cities that our in our District (We rotate every year).........

If you see something grossly wrong with a mechanic or what might become a bad habit with the rookie........It is ok to have a friendly chat between inning........you don't want to overwhealm them with information during the game though......only use this on gross problems.......

After the game............do a "Post Game" with them.........

Some are more receptive than others.........but most will listen.......I know I was grateful for any advice I recieved from some of the more experienced umps in our group when I fist started.

If they are totally unresponsive to any of your pointers and suggestions............let your UIC know.......

Joel