The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 14, 2008, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Help with a partner

Last night I worked with a new partner for the first time. He said he's been doing sb for 8 years, I have my doubts. Here is play situation:

Runner on 1st, no outs.
Batter hits a nubber down the 1B line. In our pregame he asked if I wanted any help on the ball in the dirt in front of the catcher and any "secret signals" to indicate catch no catch etc. I am PU and glued in and see the ball the whole way into the pitcher's glove who picks it up and throws to first late. My partner comes in from behind 2B calling time to talk to me. (I know something bad is about to happen) He tells me the ball hit the batter's foot out of the box. I told him I was sure it did not. He said "you were blocked out, I clearly saw it." I said, that I'm sure I saw the ball all the way (because I did - I was faster than the catcher most of the game) so lets let it go. We separated and I turned to head back to the plate and got two steps before I heard him say, "Batter is out on interference."

Question 1: What would you do at this point?

Immediately the hc who was 3b coach called time and came to me for clarification. I simply said, "Field umpire ruled interference, check with him."

Question 2: Is this "selling out my partner?" (he thought it was).

Question 3: What do you do post-game? (We had a few other difficulties so he shook my hand as we left the field and went towards a different parking lot.

Just seeking advice...
Old Fri Mar 14, 2008, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reffing Rev.
Question 1: What would you do at this point?
Make sure I knew this guy's name so I could inform the assignor not to put us together again.
Quote:
Question 2: Is this "selling out my partner?" (he thought it was).
So, him overruling your judgment on your call AFTER a conference and making the call anyway was OK, but telling the coach the obvious (his call, talk to him) was throwing him under the bus? He actually expected you to defend his poaching of your call when you already told him you disagreed? Amazing.
Quote:
Question 3: What do you do post-game? (
At this point, probably just walk away and have that conversation with the assignor.

PS: This is taking him at this word that he is an 8 year veteran. If he was a rookie, I'd have a discussion with him about who has what calls, about you can't overrule your partner's call, etc., assuming he just didn't know any better.

Last edited by Dakota; Fri Mar 14, 2008 at 12:38pm.
Old Fri Mar 14, 2008, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Is he an 8-year vet or a rookie for the 8th straight year? I'd assume the latter.

Like Dakota said, call the assignor. Then call your UIC and explain what happened. The UIC could have a visit with him. He's got no business making the call anyway. Even if there WAS interference and you WERE blocked out (not saying you were, just a what if), you confer with your partner and the call belongs to the PU.

Then put on your Rev. hat and pray for the guy. He obviously needs some help from above.
Old Fri Mar 14, 2008, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

I was going to say "What Tom said." But I think John put it even better. Sounds like an eight year rookie.
Old Fri Mar 14, 2008, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

I think that we all agree with the advice that you have already been given.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri Mar 14, 2008, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

If you are using thearbiter its very easy to block him.
Old Fri Mar 14, 2008, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
If you are using thearbiter its very easy to block him.
Another advantage of The Arbiter. Fortunately, now, both college organizations I work with, the HS association I work with, and the local ASA association all use The Arbiter now.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Mar 19, 2008, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Around Here

In our ASA schedules it is very much looked down upon blocking out a partner. The tournament games are genrally hand assigned and not Arbitered.

Having said that I had a partner this weekend who knew everything, except how to clean up his messes.

He was PU , called a ball fair that was obviously foul. he finally comes to me to ask me how to sell the defensive coach on his girl touched the ball. She didn't and my partner knew that but didn't want to look bad...His words. I convinced him to go with the correct call-foul ball.

He was BU grounder to short, runner on 2b comes close to interfering, HTBT judgement call, not a problem he has a no call. F6 throws to 1B close play. Partner has deer in the headlights look. THEN decides to call the runner out for interference. No deadball no nothing. There was no cleaning that one up.

I'm PU. Player fouls the ball,apparently off her thigh. I missed it. Partner rings up the out. Offensive coach tells me it was painfully obvious. I get a sinking feeling in my stomach but go to my partner to see if he had anything.

His words ,paraphrased, " Yea i had it hitting her but I was trying to get an out-hoping neither of the coaches would notice. "

We talked about these things after the game and he got all defensive so I let it go. UIC of our area showed up and got an earful from tourney director.

I know we all kick calls,I speak from experience, have to clean up our messes but at least lets be teachable .

Over on the basketball forum they have a saying
"get in, get it done. get out. "
That was my experience with this partner.
Old Wed Mar 19, 2008, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

we cant block in tourney ball either.. it is all done by hand.
I suppose you could be a PITA and whine.. I just take what I get at the tournies.

I've never blocked anyone in NFHS but I've considered it.

Luckily there are enough fields running and umpires assigned that its a fair chance you wont see them again for awhile anyway .... If they are really bad, they usually vanish into 10U/12U land or wherever they send em.
Old Thu Mar 20, 2008, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Chess - unfortunately, many of us that have been around for awhile have had similar experiences with partners.

Speaking from experience as an assignor, it sometimes gets to the point where you just take warm bodies to fill the spots, I don't like it, but it is a reality. You just assign the game and hope (pray) for the best.

Best advice I can provide is to do your job and cover your responsibilities to the best of your ability. Be supportive of your partner on the field, but don't be a janitor, let him clean up his own messes......
Old Thu Mar 20, 2008, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
Chess - unfortunately, many of us that have been around for awhile have had similar experiences with partners.

Speaking from experience as an assignor, it sometimes gets to the point where you just take warm bodies to fill the spots, I don't like it, but it is a reality. You just assign the game and hope (pray) for the best.

Best advice I can provide is to do your job and cover your responsibilities to the best of your ability. Be supportive of your partner on the field, but don't be a janitor, let him clean up his own messes......
It definetly makes me appreciative of the good partners.
Old Thu Mar 20, 2008, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref
I...I had a partner this weekend who knew everything, except how to clean up his messes. ... he finally comes to me to ask me how to sell the defensive coach on his girl touched the ball. She didn't and my partner knew that but didn't want to look bad...... " Yea i had it hitting her but I was trying to get an out-hoping neither of the coaches would notice."...
JMO, but from your description, his problem was not knowing how to clean UP his messes, his problem is he seems to lack integrity.
Old Thu Mar 20, 2008, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

True story.

I was watching a high school softball game and heard this exchange between the two head coaches before the game as the umpires were walking up to the field:

Coach 1: Do you know any of the umpires?

C2: Yes, I know the plate umpire.

C1: What is he like?

C2: He is not a bad umpire, but I can guarantee you he will boot at least one call during the game. I cannot tell you whether it will go for you or against you, but it will happen.

C1: Okay, lets see what happens.

You can only guess what happened in the 6th innings of a tied game.