The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
What I really like is having an 0-1 count after a "called ball 1"!
You call ball 1, 2 etc. I just normally call ball, or strike...
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskers_ump
You call ball 1, 2 etc. I just normally call ball, or strike...
I suspect he was ribbing WMB over "0-1" for 1 ball, no strikes.

I do remember, BTW, someone posting awhile ago on one of the boards about an umpire who insisted on using the opposite hands to signal the count "so the pitcher would see them in the correct order..."
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 05:16am
Official Forum Member

ur call

we have an illegal substitution and an unreported sub. that is my understanding of the write up.
1 out -the batter in the box who restricted to the splinter bench
1 warning-just like one out when two runners violating look back rule

2-57-3
3-3-5
3-4-1a
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 05:30am
Official Forum Member

Dakota has the same thing. had not read that one carefully. oh well. i came up with it on my own. so i feel good too.

for those who went to the Central Atlantic ASA clinic. What did Luau Bowers say about preventive umpiring? word does not exist as you are preventing the other team from having a violation enforced. However they tell us not to let it happen. Mind boggling. sure wish somebody would make his or her mind up. kind of reminds me of who's on first? out to have a rule book with never call this although it is in the rule book. you know what they say--if you ain't gonna enforce it, then don't write it.

Of course he also told us that in a ASA National tournament the third base umpire called an illegal pitch on a fielder not in fair territory. The ump got the royal screwing but has worked the 2 College World Series since that. You follow the damn rules and get banged anyways.
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald
Of course he also told us that in a ASA National tournament the third base umpire called an illegal pitch on a fielder not in fair territory. The ump got the royal screwing but has worked the 2 College World Series since that. You follow the damn rules and get banged anyways.
It's more likely the PU who allowed a pitch with the player in foul territory was gigged for this. But same if the third base umpire knew the player was out of position and allowed play to continue.
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald
... preventive umpiring? word does not exist as you are preventing the other team from having a violation enforced. However they tell us not to let it happen. Mind boggling. sure wish somebody would make his or her mind up. ...
For preventative umpiring to happen, the umpire has to notice the preventable violation ahead of time or as it is ABOUT to happen. In the OP, the PU did not notice that the player being subbed for was on base until it was protested by the opposing coach after the ball had been declared live (in fact, after a pitch). It is too late to prevent anything by then. I can hear the mental "oh $hit" when he looks at his line up card... His instinct would probably be to make the adjustment that WMB suggested. But, by the book, it is an illegal and unreported sub, and the penalties are there in the book, too.

Glen, do you know what the on-the-field ruling was?
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Do not know the particulars, Mike. Do know that the UIC of the ASA tournament said that the umpire should not have let the play happen. So maybe the umpire saw the violation with enough time to halt a pitch. I know what I will do if i see it: Time!!!!!!!!

The umpire is a UIC coordinator for one of the college associations in our neck of the woods.

Ron
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
For preventative umpiring to happen, the umpire has to notice the preventable violation ahead of time or as it is ABOUT to happen. In the OP, the PU did not notice that the player being subbed for was on base until it was protested by the opposing coach after the ball had been declared live (in fact, after a pitch). It is too late to prevent anything by then. I can hear the mental "oh $hit" when he looks at his line up card... His instinct would probably be to make the adjustment that WMB suggested. But, by the book, it is an illegal and unreported sub, and the penalties are there in the book, too.

Glen, do you know what the on-the-field ruling was?
Yes, A do-over in actually. Put sub on 1B, continued with batter. This was
in a JV tournament, so coaches did not actually know or care.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.