The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 03, 2008, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
First game - first broken ankle

We opened our HS season Friday evening. Both teams were wearing metal spikes. No problems (except my partner almost had his nice, shined plate shoes stepped on by a new catcher) until the bottom of the sixth. Runner stealing second slides a bit late, catches her spikes on the base and breakes her ankle.

Would she have broken her ankle in rubber spikes? Maybe. Would she have broken it if the school had break-away bases? Probably not. Is it the last time I see it happen this season? I hope so.
Old Sun Feb 03, 2008, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by argodad
Is it the last time I see it happen this season? I hope so.
I hear ya. I've seen that "extra ankle" a couple of times. I hope I never see it again.
Old Sun Feb 03, 2008, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
We opened our HS season Friday evening. Both teams were wearing metal spikes. No problems (except my partner almost had his nice, shined plate shoes stepped on by a new catcher) until the bottom of the sixth. Runner stealing second slides a bit late, catches her spikes on the base and breakes her ankle.

Would she have broken her ankle in rubber spikes? Maybe. Would she have broken it if the school had break-away bases? Probably not. Is it the last time I see it happen this season? I hope so.
I also hope it's the last time this happens. Ladies playing college ball have been using metal cleats for years with minimum issues.

Your partner's shined plate shoes would have almost been stepped on regardless of the type of cleat the new catcher was wearing. Perhaps he should adjust his heel/toe alignment and distance behind the catcher.

Instruction on proper sliding techniques from the coaching staff could prevent sliding injuries regardless of the base type.
Old Sun Feb 03, 2008, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelVA2000
I also hope it's the last time this happens. Ladies playing college ball have been using metal cleats for years with minimum issues.

Your partner's shined plate shoes would have almost been stepped on regardless of the type of cleat the new catcher was wearing. Perhaps he should adjust his heel/toe alignment and distance behind the catcher.

Instruction on proper sliding techniques from the coaching staff could prevent sliding injuries regardless of the base type.
Michael,

Nice meeting you this past weekend, hope you enjoyed the clinic.

Your points are somewhat of a reflection of my argument since they approved the use of metal spikes in HS.

You are correct, college has used them for a while. The difference is that the players in college are proven athletes. Many, most in some areas, in high school are not.

In Louisville at the ASA convention, Mary S. even stated that there was no research or statistical information to support the change.
Old Sun Feb 03, 2008, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Michael,

Nice meeting you this past weekend, hope you enjoyed the clinic.

Your points are somewhat of a reflection of my argument since they approved the use of metal spikes in HS.

You are correct, college has used them for a while. The difference is that the players in college are proven athletes. Many, most in some areas, in high school are not.

In Louisville at the ASA convention, Mary S. even stated that there was no research or statistical information to support the change.
Mike,

Nice meeting you also. Perhaps coaches will give feedback to their players regarding the pros and cons of metal spikes. I'm curious to see how many of the players make the switch.

I enjoyed the clinic and would welcome the opporturnity to work games with you in the future.
Old Sun Feb 03, 2008, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

Why are metal spikes even an issue?

Every boy that plays baseball goes to metal spikes at age 13. At least around here they do. Why would this be any more of a challenge for the young ladies?
Old Sun Feb 03, 2008, 11:32pm
Official Forum Member

Asa

Irish...don't I remember it was you who submitted a rule change at the ASA convention about ASA going to metal spikes?
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 07:18am
Official Forum Member

Metal cleats

I can think of one issue that is a big problem here in the South -- and it is the same problem we face w/ pitching.

Fast pitch in the South is only one generation old -- our game down here is not as mature as in some other parts of the country. Fast pitch went out in the 1950s when the cotton mills quit playing the men's game and did not come back until Title IX issues forced fast pitch upon us (certain suburbs excluded)

So we have a lot of folks coaching ball teams who aren't very savvy about fast pitch -- whether it's the stealing game or pitching. Girls aren't being taught to slide properly, just as they aren't being taught pitching mechanics until their parents hire a private pitching coach. And that works its way into high school ball where many HS teams are coached by someone who never PLAYED fast pitch.

So we are equipping young girls w/ weapons on their feet and not providing them training on the proper use. It's different in baseball -- we've been playing that forever, and most Daddys -- given a choice -- gravitate toward coaching their sons and leave their daughters to be coached by novice coaches.

Thankfully, since Georgia plays in the fall, we will get to see how this spring goes in some other places before our HS season starts in August.
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 07:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit
Irish...don't I remember it was you who submitted a rule change at the ASA convention about ASA going to metal spikes?
That is true, but only for 18U players. Like the collegiate player, a young lady doesn't get to this level without being an established athlete.

Again, in many areas, and you will here travel players make this comment, "HS ball is for fun." Because of geographical limitations to which many schools may be restricted, it is not unusual to have young ladies play on the team to fill a roster. Not every HS has a group of softball players that are there as an avenue to a collegiate career.
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Clary
Why are metal spikes even an issue?

Every boy that plays baseball goes to metal spikes at age 13. At least around here they do. Why would this be any more of a challenge for the young ladies?
Exactly because the ladies have not been wearing them since age 13. There is going to be an adjustment period for the players to get used to them.
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

The Federation web site has some information available for coaches (mostly comments from college coaches) on how to prepare players for wearing metal cleats. It is a reprint of something the NFCA put together.

Here is the link to the softball information page at NFHS:

NFHS Softball Information

Here is the PDF document on cleats:

Transitioning to Metal Cleats
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
Exactly because the ladies have not been wearing them since age 13. There is going to be an adjustment period for the players to get used to them.
And as has been discussed in the past, there are some anatomical differences which can be an issue for some.
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:

True, but a rubber cleat scuffs the leather -- the metal ones can cut through it! I think he was more concerned than usual.
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
True, but a rubber cleat scuffs the leather -- the metal ones can cut through it! I think he was more concerned than usual.
No doubt that was one of his concerns which leads me back to: Perhaps he should adjust his heel/toe alignment and distance behind the catcher.

This simple adjustment could spare his shined shoes and possibly the embarrassment of interfering with the catcher.
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No doubt that was one of his concerns which leads me back to: Perhaps he should adjust his heel/toe alignment and distance behind the catcher.

This simple adjustment could spare his shined shoes and possibly the embarrassment of interfering with the catcher.
Ha! You were listening to Luau!