The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 05:47am
Official Forum Member

A great rule idea

I was going through some of the Rising Stars tournament stuff and read through their rules. They have a tremendous rule I believe should be instituted for more tournaments.

"Rule disagreements will be settled at the time by the home plate umpire. Please don't argue. ... Teams that refuse to play when umpire says 'Play Ball' could be penalized, upon review of tournament director, (and could) forfeit all remaining games."
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

I have never had a team refuse to play. They may still be griping or gone, but the team returns to the field.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

I like it - I have had a coach refuse to play until we called the UIC ...
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby
I have never had a team refuse to play. They may still be griping or gone, but the team returns to the field.
I have. I told them "thank you, the score is 7-0, have a good day".
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones
I was going through some of the Rising Stars tournament stuff and read through their rules. They have a tremendous rule I believe should be instituted for more tournaments.

"Rule disagreements will be settled at the time by the home plate umpire. Please don't argue. ... Teams that refuse to play when umpire says 'Play Ball' could be penalized, upon review of tournament director, (and could) forfeit all remaining games."
Rule disagreements will be settled at the time by the home plate umpire.

Even if SHE/HE is the one who's wrong?

Bob
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluezebra
Rule disagreements will be settled at the time by the home plate umpire.

Even if SHE/HE is the one who's wrong?

Bob
The decider is only wrong if the decider says so.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

If there is a question of rule interpretation I believe you should provide the coach an avenue of appeal. Since the PU will be the one who’s interpretation is being questioned the appeal should be to the TD or UIC. The tournament game should be delayed until a final ruling by one of those two is made, (they should be in attendance or immediately available), then continued from that point.
Last year, during a PONY tournament, I (PU) had an Infield Fly with bases loaded dropped. The winning run scored. The other coach insisted that the runners had to tag. We stopped the game and got the TD to confirm that we made the correct ruling. Very easy and resolved quickly. After the game this coach and his assistant insisted that they had the same situation the week before and called National. They claimed National told them the runners had to tag on a dropped IFF. If the PU had to make the final ruling it would have ended in a forfeit with a lot of grumbling parents and coaches.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

At the PONY tournament you likely had teams advancing toward some other tournament or toward a big trophy. That's not the case at rising stars. Rising Stars is a venue for players to showcase their talents - not for coaches to show their trophy-gathering prowess. Anyone involved in anything more than a brief dispute is broadly encouraged to STFU by tournament officials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsig
If there is a question of rule interpretation I believe you should provide the coach an avenue of appeal. Since the PU will be the one who’s interpretation is being questioned the appeal should be to the TD or UIC. The tournament game should be delayed until a final ruling by one of those two is made, (they should be in attendance or immediately available), then continued from that point.
Last year, during a PONY tournament, I (PU) had an Infield Fly with bases loaded dropped. The winning run scored. The other coach insisted that the runners had to tag. We stopped the game and got the TD to confirm that we made the correct ruling. Very easy and resolved quickly. After the game this coach and his assistant insisted that they had the same situation the week before and called National. They claimed National told them the runners had to tag on a dropped IFF. If the PU had to make the final ruling it would have ended in a forfeit with a lot of grumbling parents and coaches.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

STFU one of my favorites....I love it, I should have told that to the lady that chewed on me (I was UIC) about a correct call made in an 8U rec coaches pitch game last year...and over the kid turning right or left after crossing first....aw fun times at the ballpark, is it spring yet?
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones
At the PONY tournament you likely had teams advancing toward some other tournament or toward a big trophy. That's not the case at rising stars. Rising Stars is a venue for players to showcase their talents - not for coaches to show their trophy-gathering prowess. Anyone involved in anything more than a brief dispute is broadly encouraged to STFU by tournament officials.
I hear ya! You are absolutely right in that type of venue. I was thinking as a gereral rule for tournamnet play it would be tough.