The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 26, 2007, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Final 2008 NCAA Rule Changes

They were posted yesterday on NCAA's website here.
Old Wed Sep 26, 2007, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Strike Zone Language vs Strike Zone Picture

Looks like the NCAA strike zone language is not consistent with the strike zone picture shown at the bottom of the "changes" document. The problem is the bottom of the strike zone. Is it defined by the "top of the ball" as stated in the new words or is it the "bottom of the ball" as shown in the picture?
Old Wed Sep 26, 2007, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJW
Looks like the NCAA strike zone language is not consistent with the strike zone picture shown at the bottom of the "changes" document. The problem is the bottom of the strike zone. Is it defined by the "top of the ball" as stated in the new words or is it the "bottom of the ball" as shown in the picture?
As much as this pains me , I have to agree with Ed here.

Not too impressed with the need for an anatomy class to umpire a ball game. At least the armpits are relatively visible to all. Good luck with some of the umpires trying to figure out where a player's sternum is located
Old Wed Sep 26, 2007, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
...Good luck with some of the umpires trying to figure out where a player's sternum is located
You could get arrested for that!
Old Wed Sep 26, 2007, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Now that's strange...

I've referenced that NCAA diagram before, using it in some internet discussions on the strike zone and in some training classes for local leagues.

That IS NOT the same as the existing diagram. The existing diagram shows the top of the ball touching the horizontal line at the knees. It can be seen here: NCAA On-Line Rule Book (page 152).
Old Wed Sep 26, 2007, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

The diagram has been wrong in the past, too; they recently got it fixed to match the wording of the rule. My guess is they used an old diagram to be altered, rather than the newest.

I like sternum as a definition. I read that as (pardon my language, ladies) meaning "no ball in the boob", or no ball in the sports-bra. Picture her with one or the other, and the entire ball must be below that point.

Can't think of a more PC way to describe it than the sternum; and I like the location, as one everyone should be able to live with.
Old Wed Sep 26, 2007, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
The diagram has been wrong in the past, too; they recently got it fixed to match the wording of the rule. My guess is they used an old diagram to be altered, rather than the newest.

I like sternum as a definition. I read that as (pardon my language, ladies) meaning "no ball in the boob", or no ball in the sports-bra. Picture her with one or the other, and the entire ball must be below that point.

Can't think of a more PC way to describe it than the sternum; and I like the location, as one everyone should be able to live with.

I see a new trend of not wearing sports bras in the near future...

Wait...maybe I have that backwards.
Old Wed Sep 26, 2007, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

I, too, feel that sternum satisfactorily describes the top end of the zone in this PC day and age.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Sep 26, 2007, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

how the heck am i suppose to see the very bottom of the ball crossing the top of the knees? (as per the diagram) maybe if i use the scissors stance? ohhh thats right... i dont do NCAA ball .. never mind
Old Wed Sep 26, 2007, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunNewBlue
how the heck am i suppose to see the very bottom of the ball crossing the top of the knees?

Really, it isn't that hard at all.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Sep 26, 2007, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
I, too, feel that sternum satisfactorily describes the top end of the zone in this PC day and age.
While on paper a "line" more like what is being called, I don't believe it provides any clearer than the umpires bringing the top of the zone down by about a ball.

And to Steve's point, not all players are built alike so your reference point is just as spotty.

I wouldn't bet that the "zone" as called is going to change that much with this definition.
Old Wed Sep 26, 2007, 05:18pm
GrumpUmp

After researching several sites with definitions and diagrams of the sternum I have come to the conclusion that the top part of the sternum is just below the top of the shoulders. Is this where the NCAA actually wants the top of the strike zone to be?

The best definition and diagrams I found were here:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DG
Old Wed Sep 26, 2007, 05:48pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
I wouldn't bet that the "zone" as called is going to change that much with this definition.
And it shouldn't. Here's the rationale sent to us along with the rule change:

"This language eliminates any discrepancy and is now aligned with the strike zone diagram in the rules book that coaches prefer and is most commonly called on the field."

And yes, I can see the "forward armpit" better than the bottom of the sternum. I can also see someone being run off the field for calling that a strike at any level above league ball. Maybe ASA should bring their wording in line with what's being called on their fields as well.
Old Wed Sep 26, 2007, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpUmp
After researching several sites with definitions and diagrams of the sternum I have come to the conclusion that the top part of the sternum is just below the top of the shoulders. Is this where the NCAA actually wants the top of the strike zone to be?...
I'd guess not... the rule change document says "bottom of the sternum"
Old Wed Sep 26, 2007, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHBlue
...Maybe ASA should bring their wording in line with what's being called on their fields as well.
It already is in line with what ASA wants called, if you read the WHOLE book, and not just the playing rules section. The arm pits are the starting reference for determining the top of the zone. The bottom of a pitched ball just touching the arm pit level is not in the strike zone as defined and instructed by ASA.

Quote:
STRIKE ZONE: That space over any part of home plate, when a batter assumes a natural batting stance adjacent to home plate, between the batter’s,
A. (Fast Pitch) Arm pits and the top of the knees...

In calling balls and strikes, it is generally accepted to bring the pitch down or up in the strike zone, and widen it out, making sure to give a good corner.