The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Lacrosse
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 04, 2004, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I can't believe this game hasn't generated more discussion here. From a fan's standpoint, it was an amazing game to watch. But from an official's standpoint, I thought there were at least 3 things that deserved comment.

First, what a lousy way to start the game when there was so much confusion on the first flag of the game, just a minute and a half in. I still don't know what the call was or where it happened. They stopped the game for probably 3 or 4 minutes to sort it out and it ended up being a 30-second penalty, I think. Anybody know what happened and why it took so long to call?

Second, how about the "dive play" goal by Syracuse that was disallowed. The shooter landed in the crease, but certainly seemed to have been pushed. But I wonder if the goal was waived off for a different reason. On replay, it looked to me as though the shooter's stick made contact with the goalie before the ball entered the goal. I haven't officiated lax for a few years now, so I can't remember exactly what the rule would be on this. Would that cause the ball to be dead? Maybe that's why the goal was waived off, and not b/c of the "dive".

Third, there was a holding penalty against Syracuse with about 4 minutes left in the game. Did anybody see anything even remotely resembling a hold on that play? There must have been something there, but I watched the play 3 times and I saw nothing.

Those are probably pretty nit-picky kinds of things to question, but that's b/c overall, the officiating seemed really good to me.

Doesn't anybody have any comments on this fantastic game?