The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 12, 2007, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Catcher's Obstruction On Squeeze Play

Does the coach have the option of taking the result of the play or the penalty on catcher's obstruction during a squeeze play? Both ASA and NFHS rules.

Situation: R1 on 3rd. Batter squares to bunt and R1 leaves the bag at the release and is attempting to steal home. The catcher touches the batter with her glove. The ball is bunted in front of home plate. The catcher, realizing she has no play on the runner fields the ball and throws to first. The ball goes into right field and the batter-runner ends up on 2nd.

Both ASA and NFHS seem to imply that there is no choice here. Although, I admit there is a NFHS case play that says otherwise, it appears the case play is wrong based on the wording of rule 8-1-1-E-2 Penalty.
Based on the wording of the rule it seems to me that the run scores and the batter should be returned to 1st. However, I can't see why ASA or NFHS would not want to give the coach the option even though the rule implies no option should be given.

Last edited by rwest; Wed Sep 12, 2007 at 10:38am.
Old Wed Sep 12, 2007, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Since all runners advanced safely at least one base, the play stands, no option given.

If not all runners (including the BR) advanced at least one base, the coach has the option of the play or the penalty.

It seems clearly stated in the rules, to me.
Old Wed Sep 12, 2007, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest
Situation: R1 on 3rd. Batter squares to bunt and R1 leaves the bag at the release and is attempting to steal home. The catcher touches the batter with her glove. The ball is bunted in front of home plate. The catcher, realizing she has no play on the runner fields the ball and throws to first. The ball goes into right field and the batter-runner ends up on 2nd.
In NFHS and ASA, the enforcement of the CO is similar to that of an IP. The umpire signals a delayed dead ball, and if the BR reaches first and all other runners advance one base, then the CO is nullified and we play on.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Sep 12, 2007, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Since all runners advanced safely at least one base, the play stands, no option given.

If not all runners (including the BR) advanced at least one base, the coach has the option of the play or the penalty.

Beat me again!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Sep 12, 2007, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota

Not to me. I'm not trying to pick nits here, but the two scenarios are described in separate sections of the rule book with different effects. I agree it should be treated the same and makes more sense but that's not how the rule book is written. In the NFHS rule book, Rule 8-1-1-D describes catcher obstruction and the effect and penalty you mentioned. But the squeeze play scenario is described in sub section E and does not mention anything about a choice. I believe what they are trying to say is that on a squeeze play the the runner from 3rd scores even if not forced because under the other scenario runners only advance if forced. That's the difference between the two scenarios. However, its not worded that way.
Old Wed Sep 12, 2007, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
This was the only case play I found concerning CO on a squeeze play:

8.1.1 Situation G: R1 is on third. R1 starts home as in a squeeze play. F3, who is playing close for a bunt, cuts off the pitch and tags R1.
Ruling: This is treated the same as catcher obstruction. The ball becomes dead at the end of playing action. The coach or captain of the team at bat has the option of the play or penalty. If the penalty is accepted, R1 is awarded home and B2 is awarded first. (2-36)

Here is the rule:

Rule 8: Batter-Runner and Runner
Section 1: The Batter Becomes A Batter-runner
Article 1

Art. 1... A batter becomes a batter-runner with the right to attempt to score by advancing to first, second and third and then home plate in the listed order when:
a. she legally hits a fair ball.
b. (F.P.) the catcher fails to catch the third strike before the ball touches the ground when there are fewer than two outs and first base is unoccupied at the time of the pitch, or anytime there are two outs.
c. an intentional base on balls is awarded (S.P.), or a fourth ball is called by the umpire.
d. the catcher or another defensive player obstructs, hinders or prevents the batter from striking or hitting a pitched ball.
e. The catcher or any other fielder shall not:
1. Step on, or in front of home plate without the ball, or
2. On a swing or attempted bunt, touch the batter or her bat with a runner on third base trying to score by means of a squeeze play or a steal.
PENALTY: (Art. 1) The runner would be awarded the base on the attempted steal or squeeze. The batter shall also be awarded first base on the obstruction and the ball is dead.

I think the ruling for 8.1.1.e.2 is assuming that the ball was not put into play by the BR. It is missing a portion of the rule that ASA contains.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"

Last edited by MNBlue; Wed Sep 12, 2007 at 11:18am.
Old Wed Sep 12, 2007, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Hmmm... you're right, rwest.

From the ASA rule book (8-1):
Quote:
D. When the catcher obstructs a batter’s attempt to hit a pitched ball.
EFFECT: Catcher’s obstruction is a delayed dead ball in 1 and 2:
1. If the batter hits the ball and reaches first base safely, and all other runners
have advanced at least one base:
EFFECT: Obstruction is canceled. All action as a result of the batted ball
stands. No option is given. Once a runner has passed a base, the runner
is considered to have reached that base.
2. If the batter-runner hits the ball and does not reach first base safely and
all other runners do not advance at least one base.
EFFECT: The manager has the option to take the result of the play, or
enforcement of obstruction by awarding the batter first base and advancing
all runners if forced.
3. The catcher steps on, or in front of home plate without the ball and prevents
the batter from hitting the ball.
EFFECT: The ball is dead, the batter is awarded first base, all other runners
are advanced one base if forced.
4. (FP) On a swing or attempted bunt, the catcher or any other fielder prevents
the batter from hitting the ball
, touch the batter or their bat with a runner
on third base trying to score by means of a squeeze play or a steal.
EFFECT: The ball is dead. The runner shall be awarded home plate and
the batter shall be awarded first base on the obstruction. All other runners
shall be advanced one base, if forced.
However, although paragraph 4 is worded strangely, I think the rule only applies of the batter is prevented from hitting the ball.
Old Wed Sep 12, 2007, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

I believe we beat this up a couple of years ago. When taken to a higher level, their concern was all CO was DDB, but this one we were ruling a dead ball which is inconsistant.

The question is the option, but I think ASA considers it a safety issue. Paragraph four should read On a swing or attempted bunt, the catcher or any other fielder prevents the batter brom hitting the ball BY touching the batter....

I believe the argument was that if the batter DID hit the ball, #4 could not be in effect and #1 & #2 should apply.