The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 14, 2004, 07:12am
Official Forum Member

From the travelling circuit...

Had a fellow ump bring up this sitch:

R1 @ 3rd, B1 squares up to bunt to squeeze R1 home. As B1 attempts to bunt, F2 (C) gloves the bat, causing catcher's interference. Ump's interp: Apply BOTH catcher's interference [B1 gets first base] and a balk to pitcher [R1 gets home].

Talked to my assignor about the same play, he says only one or the other - not both - can be applied (something about giving the offensive team what they deserve).

Who's right?
Old Wed Jul 14, 2004, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
one or the other

I think you assignor is correct. You definately have catcher's interference. I am not sure on the justification for the balk.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Wed Jul 14, 2004, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by isneths

R1 @ 3rd, B1 squares up to bunt to squeeze R1 home. As B1 attempts to bunt, F2 (C) gloves the bat, causing catcher's interference. Ump's interp: Apply BOTH catcher's interference [B1 gets first base] and a balk to pitcher [R1 gets home].

Talked to my assignor about the same play, he says only one or the other - not both - can be applied (something about giving the offensive team what they deserve).

Who's right?
From 6.08: If the catcher (or any fielder) interferes with the batter, the batter is awarded first base. If, on such interference a runner is trying to score by a steal or squeeze from third base, the ball is dead and the runner on third scores and batter is awarded first base.

The "balk" issue (as listed in 7.07 -- and some sources say to ignore this rule -- it's an error) only comes into play with R2, R3 and R2 doesn't try to advance on the squeeze / steal.

Old Wed Jul 14, 2004, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Bob,

If there was no R3 being squeezed or stealing but you have an R2 only who was stealing at the time of the CI does he return or advance? 6.08 is a bit muddied on that. G.
Old Wed Jul 14, 2004, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by isneths

Who's right?
Well there is ORB 7.07 which governs what happens when there is CI during a squeeze play (and I don't know what source says ignore this rule.

ORB 7.07
If, with a runner on third base and trying to score by means of a squeeze play or a steal, the catcher or any other fielder steps on, or in front of home base without possession of the ball, or touches the batter or his bat, the pitcher shall be charged with a balk, the batter shall be awarded first base on the interference and the ball is dead.

What it doesn't say is that the runner from 3rd also gets home. But the writers figured that we would read the part about the pitcher being charged with a balk and award R3 home. By the way the manager does not get to choose his poison on this one as stated in:

ORB 6.08(c)The catcher or any fielder interferes with him. If a play follows the interference, the manager of the offense may advise the plate umpire that he elects to decline the interference penalty and accept the play. Such election shall be made immediately at the end of the play. However, if the batter reaches first base on a hit, an error, a base on balls, a hit batsman, or otherwise, and all other runners advance at least one base, the play proceeds without reference to the interference. If catcher's interference is called with a play in progress the umpire will allow the play to continue because the manager may elect to take the play. If the batter runner missed first base, or a runner misses his next base, he shall be considered as having reached the base, as stated in Note of Rule 7.04

Again, I don't know why you would ignore OBR 7.07!
Old Wed Jul 14, 2004, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gee
Bob,

If there was no R3 being squeezed or stealing but you have an R2 only who was stealing at the time of the CI does he return or advance? 6.08 is a bit muddied on that. G.

Look at 7.04 (d)- I believe R2 should be awarded third.