The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 17, 2007, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest
At our High school Camp this year one of the clinicians explained why we don't use the GD or scissor stance in softball. In baseball the batters box is a foot deeper. The catchers set up deeper in baseball than they do softball. Therefore, the umpire is farther back in baseball and can see the corners of the plate using the GD or scissor stance. Using it in softball makes it harder to see the corners because the catcher is closer to the plate. He demonstrated it. It was very convincing.

Can you see the corners when you use the GD stance?
In baseball I did not have a problem seeing the plate.
In softball I have never tried it because they tell you how they want it done, and its my job to do that.
Old Fri Aug 17, 2007, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Caliente
In baseball I did not have a problem seeing the plate.
In softball I have never tried it because they tell you how they want it done, and its my job to do that.
My question regarding plate coverage was strictly directed at Softball. I know you can see the corners when using it in baseball. Sorry for the confusion.
Old Fri Aug 17, 2007, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
At our High school Camp this year one of the clinicians explained why we don't use the GD or scissor stance in softball. In baseball the batters box is a foot deeper. The catchers set up deeper in baseball than they do softball. Therefore, the umpire is farther back in baseball and can see the corners of the plate using the GD or scissor stance. Using it in softball makes it harder to see the corners because the catcher is closer to the plate. He demonstrated it. It was very convincing.

Can you see the corners when you use the GD stance?
Yeah, I feel I can see the corners ok. Maybe because I still work the slot with the stance. I have never been taught the stance, just picked it up through reading and watching on TV. It seems like they set up more behind the catcher with GD. Therefore, being further back would be helpful. So no problem with corners but, I think the problem is with the low strike because you are higher up. Like I said, I have used it some when my back is screaming at me - never used in Fed or college. I'm thinking about trying it on a certain college team that has a catcher that "pinches" off the slot. She sets up soooo far inside that there litterally is NO slot. I'm wondering if being higher will help see a bit better.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Sun Aug 19, 2007, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

its too bad that ESPN can't/won't work out a deal with ASA to do some of the JO finals.
Not only would the umpiring be better, but the level of ball would be a lot better as well.
I think that televising little league softball isn't doing any favors to the game of softball or the umpires that work hard because they love the game of softball.
Old Sun Aug 19, 2007, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpharp
its too bad that ESPN can't/won't work out a deal with ASA to do some of the JO finals...
"Won't" is the correct word. And I don't blame them, from a business perspective. ESPN is not in the business of broadcasting sporting events. They are in the business of selling advertising for broadcasts of sporting events. 99%+ of the audience for ASA softball is the parents, grandparents, etc., of players, not the general public.

I suspect what ESPN really wants to sell advertising for is the LL baseball world series, and they are contractually obligated to broadcast softball because LL insisted that it be part of the deal. I have no inside information; that is just my suspicion.

ASA has no product that would attract the advertising dollars (meaning attract the national audience) that LL baseball has in the world series. Therefore, they have little bargaining power with ESPN.

Perhaps they could work a deal with a socal local station that would foot the bill for the on-site television crew for local broadcast rights, and ASA would web-cast the feed nationally, perhaps sponsored by Hooters!

Something like that MIGHT be workable.
Old Sun Aug 19, 2007, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
"Won't" is the correct word. And I don't blame them, from a business perspective. ESPN is not in the business of broadcasting sporting events. They are in the business of selling advertising for broadcasts of sporting events. 99%+ of the audience for ASA softball is the parents, grandparents, etc., of players, not the general public.

I suspect what ESPN really wants to sell advertising for is the LL baseball world series, and they are contractually obligated to broadcast softball because LL insisted that it be part of the deal. I have no inside information; that is just my suspicion.

ASA has no product that would attract the advertising dollars (meaning attract the national audience) that LL baseball has in the world series. Therefore, they have little bargaining power with ESPN.

Perhaps they could work a deal with a socal local station that would foot the bill for the on-site television crew for local broadcast rights, and ASA would web-cast the feed nationally, perhaps sponsored by Hooters!

Something like that MIGHT be workable.
You are correct Tom. It's all about advertising dollars. I work for a company that broadcasts HS and college sporting events on the radio statewide here so I know a little about the cash machine. I am sure that a) LL does require ESPN to carry the softball stuff in order to get the baseball; and b) that LL and ESPN work together to get sponsors for the programming. If a company pays "X" dollars, they will be a corporate sponsor of LL. For that they get signage at the stadiums, spots on the broadcasts, etc. I'm sure Kellogs is the only cereal used at the breakfast table during the series. Trust me, from the district level to Williamsport it's all about the dollars.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
At our High school Camp this year one of the clinicians explained why we don't use the GD or scissor stance in softball. In baseball the batters box is a foot deeper. The catchers set up deeper in baseball than they do softball.
I thought under most rules, the SB box is LARGER than the BB box, and that the difference is in how far FORWARD they go, not how far back. And I'm not familiar with BB catchers setting up deeper than SB.

Quote:
Therefore, the umpire is farther back in baseball and can see the corners of the plate using the GD or scissor stance. Using it in softball makes it harder to see the corners because the catcher is closer to the plate. He demonstrated it. It was very convincing.
As I understand it, part of using the GD stance is setting up deeper and higher than usual, at least an arm's length behind the catcher. Carl C's article on the Davis stance is here.