View Single Post
Old Sun Aug 19, 2007, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpharp
its too bad that ESPN can't/won't work out a deal with ASA to do some of the JO finals...
"Won't" is the correct word. And I don't blame them, from a business perspective. ESPN is not in the business of broadcasting sporting events. They are in the business of selling advertising for broadcasts of sporting events. 99%+ of the audience for ASA softball is the parents, grandparents, etc., of players, not the general public.

I suspect what ESPN really wants to sell advertising for is the LL baseball world series, and they are contractually obligated to broadcast softball because LL insisted that it be part of the deal. I have no inside information; that is just my suspicion.

ASA has no product that would attract the advertising dollars (meaning attract the national audience) that LL baseball has in the world series. Therefore, they have little bargaining power with ESPN.

Perhaps they could work a deal with a socal local station that would foot the bill for the on-site television crew for local broadcast rights, and ASA would web-cast the feed nationally, perhaps sponsored by Hooters!

Something like that MIGHT be workable.