The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 12, 2007, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
When they ask for it

I was working a "charity" tournament this weekend - ESPN was here to do a segment on the game. Some may remember the game where I dumped the AD from the school and they threatened not to pay for other contracted games. The pitcher in that game is who the charity tourament was to help. Anyway . . . here's the story.

One guy from my board worked the game before me and according to his partner missed about 6 calls during the game. I had the same team the next game (and the same partner). My partner had a swipe tag at 2nd base and from my vantage point I could clearly see that the swipe completely missed the runner. My partner called her safe - which sent the defensive coach into a "tizzy". He asked my partner to come for help and I confirmed his call. This really pi$$ed him off. He started ranting about my partner and I told him to settle down - which he did - for one pitch. He then started getting louder . . . complaining about the call at 2nd. I debated going over to calm him down because I didn't want to go looking for trouble. If I don't go, will the trouble only get worse?

Anyway, I went over . . . told him to settle down. He started complaining about the previous game to which I replied that I wasn't there - new game. He then told me that we were screwing him like he got screwed in that game. Again, I told him to settle down - which he did get calmer and told me to go ahead and eject him. A funny line because I told him that I didn't want to eject him . . . he said "I really want you to." I replied (here's the funny line) "It's not always about you!" Then he said it - please! To which I replied - OK, you talked me into it.

Not sure of how I could have avoided this since he was getting louder before I went over. After I dumped him, things went smoothly and his team even scored, losing 12-1. I'm sure you can see how it was my fault.

I'm sure many will find fault so . . . Comments? Suggestions?

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.

Last edited by Mountaineer; Mon Aug 13, 2007 at 04:15pm.
Old Sun Aug 12, 2007, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Sports at 11: Umpire 1, Coach 0.

You done did good.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon Aug 13, 2007, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My partner called her safe - which sent the offensive coach into a "tizzy"
He needed to go -- if the offensive coach is going to go nuts about his runner being called safe. He probably needed to get out of the sun. I think you saved him from sun stroke
Old Mon Aug 13, 2007, 06:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNTXUM P
He needed to go -- if the offensive coach is going to go nuts about his runner being called safe. He probably needed to get out of the sun. I think you saved him from sun stroke
Yeah, I had to read that a couple times.

On the ejection, it depends on how mean you want to be. There is always the, "hey, coach. If I have to stay and watch this game, so do you" line
Old Mon Aug 13, 2007, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

My mistake - DEFENSIVE coach not offensive. I was on the phone and watching TV all at the same time. I'm surprised it came out coherent at all! I'll try to correct it.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Mon Aug 13, 2007, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

You did right....

Mountaineer -- You did all you could to keep him in the game, and that's all you can do. He wanted to go, and had not you gotten rid of him when you did -- it would have just gotten worse. So, cudos for you for trying -- and cudos for taking action when you did. Good call blue.
Old Tue Aug 14, 2007, 06:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana_Umpire
Mountaineer -- You did all you could to keep him in the game, and that's all you can do. He wanted to go, and had not you gotten rid of him when you did -- it would have just gotten worse. So, cudos for you for trying -- and cudos for taking action when you did. Good call blue.
I don't know. Why would you reward this guy and let him get to the nice, cool adult refreshments while you have to stay on the field in the hot sun?
Old Tue Aug 14, 2007, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

I'd at least tell him he has do a better job of playing the part of the public a-hole out of control coach before I'll honor his request...
Old Tue Aug 14, 2007, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Cool Just Deserts

I was thinking about this thread this weekend while working a 10U Tourney. What would be justice should any coach deserve ejection. Fortunately there wasn't any such situation, which is the case 99.99% of the time. But if there had been considering it was about 102 both days should I allow him to go to the parking lot, or should we strap him to the center field fence.
Old Tue Aug 14, 2007, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

Mike, that is valid and I actually thought about it. I have told coaches (at least in basketball) when it's a bad game and they are trying to get ejected to light a fire under their team - "If I have to suffer through this game - so do you".

Tom - that was funny. I wish I had thought about that.

Old Tue Aug 14, 2007, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

One of my personal all-time faves came in baseball about 25 years ago. TX state tournament. Coach has been an a$$ much of the game. Down two runs in the fifth and he decides he's going to fire up his team and get jacked.

"Effim," sez my conscience. Besides, it was about 180 degrees at good old Disch=Falk Field in Austin, with about 180 percent humidity.

He did just about everything but physical contact. And he got to keep his happy butt in the game. One of my partners started to restrict him to the dugout and I told my partner (in a whisper while the coach was catching his breath) that he was staying in the sun.

Got his butt beat, too.
Old Thu Aug 16, 2007, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

He then told me that we were screwing him like he got screwed in that game.

At that point, he's history. No one questions my integrity, and stays around.

Bob
Old Thu Aug 16, 2007, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Integrity

First off I want to thank everyone on this forum for all of their input. I have been lurking since January and you have helped me not only survive my first season but made it enjoyable and very successful for a FNG umpire. I never visit without my rulebooks handy and will always try to find the answer in the book before I read responses.
Back to the thread. Since our season is basically over the only games I do are the Men's league games on Sundays. I know that doing Men's FP is not the most popular thing to do and it's pretty obvious why that's the case having to deal with these knuckleheads every week. I figure that if I can do this then other games I do are a piece of cake. The thing that I can't stand is when (and it's only one team) starts chirping "Call it both ways". It makes my blood boil. I can take it if someone calls a ruling BS as they walk away but when I hear the both ways thing time is called, the mask comes off. If I haven't issued a warning then I usually do but if the warning has already been issued then somebody's taking a walk. Am I being too sensitive? I've heard it from parents a few times but when it comes from a player or coach I really feel that my integrity is being questioned.
Old Thu Aug 16, 2007, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PtotheB
First off I want to thank everyone on this forum for all of their input. I have been lurking since January and you have helped me not only survive my first season but made it enjoyable and very successful for a FNG umpire. I never visit without my rulebooks handy and will always try to find the answer in the book before I read responses.
Back to the thread. Since our season is basically over the only games I do are the Men's league games on Sundays. I know that doing Men's FP is not the most popular thing to do and it's pretty obvious why that's the case having to deal with these knuckleheads every week. I figure that if I can do this then other games I do are a piece of cake. The thing that I can't stand is when (and it's only one team) starts chirping "Call it both ways". It makes my blood boil. I can take it if someone calls a ruling BS as they walk away but when I hear the both ways thing time is called, the mask comes off. If I haven't issued a warning then I usually do but if the warning has already been issued then somebody's taking a walk. Am I being too sensitive? I've heard it from parents a few times but when it comes from a player or coach I really feel that my integrity is being questioned.
I would say that you border a *little* on the "too sensitive" side, but your feelings are justified as your integrity and your impartiality are being unduly questioned. However, if it's coming from the dugout, I would probably handle it a little differently. Instead of trying to address an entire team (even if you're speaking to only one person), I would address the coach. Politely call the coach over to you, explain that you realize the players may disagree with your call, but comments about your integrity as an umpire are not acceptable. If you try to address an entire bench, you'll have a dozen guys yelling at you, and it will get out of hand.

Welcome to the forum, welcome to umpiring, and feel free to fire away your questions to us. This is an excellent resource to have at your fingertips once all your trainings and clinics are done, and the season is already underway (or even ending).

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Fri Aug 17, 2007, 04:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PtotheB
First off I know that doing Men's FP is not the most popular thing to do and it's pretty obvious why that's the case having to deal with these knuckleheads every week.
Always remember your best friend on each team is your catcher. A good catcher will work with you as long as you are working hard. Sometimes (not always, but many times) a quick little something said to the catcher will allow him to handle whatever problems there may be. (Usually the catcher says, "You guys get off his a$$, he's doin a good job back there.")

And a little something to make that relationship with the catcher in men's FP even better: don't you ever dare ring him up on a called third strike. If you do, prepare to be the backstop with a LOT of passed balls.