The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

Ejection at Nationals

I had an ejection. it was an ***'t coach. The pitch calling coach to be exact. He was a very animated fellow. This was my second Plate with this team. no problems in the first game.

So his team is falling apart. Dropping balls, overthrows etc. his team is now losing 5-1 against a pretty decent team and the great comeback is not looking very good. So his team team is coming off the field and he says in a voice that not very many people heard but some probably did "That I was cheating his team ." So I go over to the head coach and tell him no more comments like that or his done for the game. Head coach says he'll take care of it......

First pitch to his player I gotta strike and in a not so quiet voice says " You must have money on this, the way your calling it." I didn't have the heart to tell him it was only 12's and all so no bookie would take my action, even if it was a National. So I walk over to HC and explain the ***'t Coach has to go now. They apparently know the drill cause he leaves without a peep......we go on and no further incidents.

My question is should I have dumped him for the first comments or did i handle this okay ?

At the tourney it seemed to be about 50/50 from the other blues.....The UIC was fine with the ay I handled it.....
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref
I had an ejection. it was an ***'t coach. The pitch calling coach to be exact. He was a very animated fellow. This was my second Plate with this team. no problems in the first game.

So his team is falling apart. Dropping balls, overthrows etc. his team is now losing 5-1 against a pretty decent team and the great comeback is not looking very good. So his team team is coming off the field and he says in a voice that not very many people heard but some probably did "That I was cheating his team ." So I go over to the head coach and tell him no more comments like that or his done for the game. Head coach says he'll take care of it......

First pitch to his player I gotta strike and in a not so quiet voice says " You must have money on this, the way your calling it." I didn't have the heart to tell him it was only 12's and all so no bookie would take my action, even if it was a National. So I walk over to HC and explain the ***'t Coach has to go now. They apparently know the drill cause he leaves without a peep......we go on and no further incidents.

My question is should I have dumped him for the first comments or did i handle this okay ?

At the tourney it seemed to be about 50/50 from the other blues.....The UIC was fine with the ay I handled it.....
Sounds good to me. You dealt with the head coach and he understood his responsibilities, just didn't take care of it as promised.
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Sounds like a perfect way to handle it to me. Had one last week in a Men's SP. Player who was banged out on a close play to 1B gets back to the bench and yells to the other teams coach, "hay Bill, how much did you pay the blue to make these calls?"
I didn't bother to speak with his coach, he sat in the parking lot.
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Both handled properly. Chess Ref said first comments weren't heard by many; I agree with telling the head coach to handle it. Bigsig had it yelled across the field; he's done now.
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
Both handled properly. Chess Ref said first comments weren't heard by many; I agree with telling the head coach to handle it. Bigsig had it yelled across the field; he's done now.
Yup, I agree.
Semi-quietly said, try to let the head coach handle like Chess Ref did. Loudly said gets the immediate response that Bigsig gave.

Mike will remember my Ohio buddy last year who told me (PU) that he'd handle me with the uic - so I allowed him to go see the uic right then.
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref
My question is should I have dumped him for the first comments or did i handle this okay ? .
Really, more info is needed. It sounds like you did OK per the OP, but I guess it would depend on what, if any, the asst coach had been chirping to you prior to that comment.- was he on a short leash or not. ...
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangel
Really, more info is needed. It sounds like you did OK per the OP, but I guess it would depend on what, if any, the asst coach had been chirping to you prior to that comment.- was he on a short leash or not. ...
Prior to the cheating comments nothing that grabbed my attention-so it was more of an outburst than a persistent sitch.....
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

assts dont exist, and they sure as hell dont get a "leashh". only the HC gets a leash.
Old Fri Aug 10, 2007, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Chirping?

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangel
If he is calling your integrity into question and makes a show of it, however small, he is done.

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"