The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 11, 2007, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo99
I thought that was a relevant response to your original post.Your topic was the amount of balls hit over the fence in a SP D tournament wasnt it? Beer and/or intelligence of the players combined with high tech bats would be a pretty good assumption.Thanks for your moderation of my post.
Again, what does beer have to do with the subject or OP?

Please don't tell me you are that ignorant to believe that beer always has something to do with SP?
Old Sat Aug 11, 2007, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Of course not!! I am quite sure there are leagues for players who cant play fast-pitch or baseball in which they play sober.
Old Sat Aug 11, 2007, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Of course not!! I am quite sure there are leagues for players who cant play fast-pitch or baseball in which they play sober.
putz...................
Old Sat Aug 11, 2007, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA putz................... Whow,thats a real mature response from a "respected" board member!!Do you always turn to immature name calling when someone doesnt agree with you? You have your opinions of the slow pitch game,and I have mine.Lets keep it at that and concentrate on umpire related issues.

Last edited by mo99; Sat Aug 11, 2007 at 02:24pm.
Old Sat Aug 11, 2007, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA putz................... Whow,thats a real mature response from a "respected" board member!!Do you always turn to immature name calling when someone doesnt agree with you? You have your opinions of the slow pitch game,and I have mine.Lets keep it at that and concentrate on umpire related issues.
Your's is not an opinon, but a misconception and myth. If you honestly believe it is an opinion of the game, you don't know the game.
Old Sat Aug 11, 2007, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Your's is not an opinon, but a misconception and myth. If you honestly believe it is an opinion of the game, you don't know the game.
Mike, With the risk of you calling me another childish name for not agreeing with you,I will comment further.You are incorrect stating "Your's is not an opinion,but a misconception and myth"as I have first hand experience in which I have the right to formulate my own such opinion of the slow pitch game.I played H.S and College baseball back in the middle and late 1970's.After college,there wasnt a whole lot of opportunities to continue playing baseball at the recreational level,so I took up fastpitch softball.After much convincing by my buddies,I gave in and played tournaments with a Class B slowpitch team in the early 1980's.While a will agree playing defense can be challanging with the ball being put in play with every batter,but hitting the ball became quickly boring.I found no challenge in driving the ball over the fence,years before the high tech bat invasion which ruined todays game.
I umpire H.S, NCAA,and high level ASA fastpitch games presently.I also would umpire some slow pitch softball as well to help out.I just do not enjoy the game.Maybe at the top levels,it is different,but from what I have seen,it is mostly a bunch of guys with beer guts "hitting a ball off a tee"with juiced bats so everyone can hit a "dinger".
So my opinion is indeed my opinion based on actual experiences,which I feel I am more than qualified to voice.If you respond,please do so constructively without the childish name calling because someone doesnt agree with you.
Old Sat Aug 11, 2007, 06:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Mike, With the risk of you calling me another childish name for not agreeing with you,I will comment further.You are incorrect stating "Your's is not an opinion,but a misconception and myth"as I have first hand experience in which I have the right to formulate my own such opinion of the slow pitch game.I played H.S and College baseball back in the middle and late 1970's.After college,there wasnt a whole lot of opportunities to continue playing baseball at the recreational level,so I took up fastpitch softball.After much convincing by my buddies,I gave in and played tournaments with a Class B slowpitch team in the early 1980's.While a will agree playing defense can be challanging with the ball being put in play with every batter,but hitting the ball became quickly boring.I found no challenge in driving the ball over the fence,years before the high tech bat invasion which ruined todays game.
I umpire H.S, NCAA,and high level ASA fastpitch games presently.I also would umpire some slow pitch softball as well to help out.I just do not enjoy the game.Maybe at the top levels,it is different,but from what I have seen,it is mostly a bunch of guys with beer guts "hitting a ball off a tee"with juiced bats so everyone can hit a "dinger".
So my opinion is indeed my opinion based on actual experiences,which I feel I am more than qualified to voice.If you respond,please do so constructively without the childish name calling because someone doesnt agree with you.
As I said, you don't know the game. Your associating SP to beer is just as ludicrous as me associating FP players to baseball whinabees.

I've played and umpired FP & SP. When in the Navy, there were nights when I played both the same evening. I found the FP game to be boring and many of the players to be as obnoxious and annoying as a cocky baseball player. After umpiring BB for 22 years, I had enough of the whining as even the biggest ego-challenged SP player wasn't as bad as the BB players even at the LL level. So, under your justification of an "opinion", I should just go around badmouthing all the FP players based on personal experience.

BTW, the challenge of the SP game isn't hitting the ball over the fence regardless of what bat you use. The challenge, which many players have either forgotten or never learned, is hitting the ball where they ain't and being intelligent enough to not screw up while running the bases, especially on a steal.
Old Sat Aug 11, 2007, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Mike may be abravise and a legend in his own mind, but he has more of the argument than you do. Your own first hand knowledge of slow pitch is a quarter of a century old which leaves you without any credibility.

If you don't like the game of slow pitch that is okay.
But why you choose to denigrate a game that tens of thousands play and enjoy across the country shows a lack of class on your part.

Enjoy your umpiring.
Old Sat Aug 11, 2007, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Mike, I have been on this forum for a few years and have seen alot of posters back down and agree with you.Sorry,I am not one of them.I will argue my point with you with class,and wont resort to childish name calling.(ie "putz") My opinion is well founded based on my experiences as a player and umpire over 35 years.I do know the game without a shadow of a doubt and question exactly how much you know,not as an umpire,but athletically speaking.Unless playing at the elite levels of SP,there certainly isnt a high percentage of real athletes at the league and C+D levels.SP was originally designed,as I am sure you know,for older men to continue their playing days and stay active.It evloved into the game it is today as more and more young players took up the game.I am assuming Delaware is the exception,as there is a whole lot of wanna-be,beer drinking teams playing in Southeast PA.You have to admit that the high tech bats absolutely take any credibility of the game away.The "little guy" batting in the 9 and 10 holes can easily hit a ball out of the park.I know it is not all about dingers,but even ground balls shoot through the infield with ease do to the speed coming off those bats..I am sure you are not serious in believing the average SP player is a better athlete than a FP or BB player.That,my friend,is ludicrous!I am 49 years old and can guarantee you if I decided to join a SP team with today's bats,I would still be able to hit a ton,both for average and the long ball.So I will argue with you,with respect of course,to the cows come home,as I believe I have just as much experience and knowledge to discuss the game as you do.
Old Sat Aug 11, 2007, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=jimpiano]Mike may be abravise and a legend in his own mind, but he has more of the argument than you do. Your own first hand knowledge of slow pitch is a quarter of a century old which leaves you without any credibility.

But why you choose to denigrate a game that tens of thousands play and enjoy across the country shows a lack of class on your part.

Enjoy your umpiring.[/QUOTE

You have got to be kidding me.You have to have more to say to substantiate you opinion than that! Tens of thousands of people bowl too and I assume you believe that sport has credibility as well.State you point jimpiano based on your experience,and not Mike's point of view and I will argue my point with you as well
Old Sat Aug 11, 2007, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=mo99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpiano
Mike may be abravise and a legend in his own mind, but he has more of the argument than you do. Your own first hand knowledge of slow pitch is a quarter of a century old which leaves you without any credibility.

Enjoy your umpiring.[/QUOTE

You have got to be kidding me.You have to have more to say to substantiate you opinion than that! Tens of thousands of people bowl too and I assume you believe that sport has credibility as well.State you point jimpiano based on your experience,and not Mike's point of view and I will argue my point with you as well

I made my point.

And if you are 49 you have a lot better chance of rolling a 150 game in bowling than ever playing on a good slow pitch softball team.

Last edited by jimpiano; Sat Aug 11, 2007 at 08:48pm.
Old Sat Aug 11, 2007, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=jimpiano]
Quote:

I made my point.
Excuse me,based on your experience,that point was............???
Old Sat Aug 11, 2007, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

jimpiano Could you please fill me in on what changed over the last quarter century in the SP game other than the ridiculous high tech bats that made anyone a hitter?And since you dont know me,I am in excellent condition at 49 at 6'3'' tall and 215lbs and could play first or EP for anyone in my area.How about you???
Old Sat Aug 11, 2007, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
jimpiano Could you please fill me in on what changed over the last quarter century in the SP game other than the ridiculous high tech bats that made anyone a hitter?And since you dont know me,I am in excellent condition at 49 at 6'3'' tall and 215lbs and could play first or EP for anyone in my area.How about you???
Sounds like you are in great shape to umpire.
Old Sat Aug 11, 2007, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

I officiate softball football and basketball plus workout at the gym. So what do you do?